Do You Take Flu Shots?

by minimus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

I just got my flu shot today! went to the doc, he reamed me out about not getting to him sooner about my yucky tonsils. said I gotta have them removed, so I decided since Im feeling like shit anyhow I might as well get the flu shot. I catch every bug there is. I am a paranoid though and a bit of a conspiracy theorist. I have this notion in my head that if we keep getting flu shots, the bug will mutate to adapt and create a super bug, which in turn will be like the plague and wipe out alot of people. Anyone ever read steven kings "the stand"?..Im thinking on that scale

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Yes. I started getting them when the kids started school. The health plan at work covers them 100%, with no co-pay or deductible.

• blondie
    blondie

I have an autoimmune condition, flu shots are absolutely necessary in my case. My insurance pays for it...preventive procedure.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Honeybucket, the glory of vaccination is that it uses the power of our own immune system to stay on the alert for invaders. This should not be confused with antibiotics, which poison the bacteria directly. If the antibiotics don't completely eliminate every bacteria, the surviving mutants could certainly be a future superbug.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'm often amazed at how little people really know about their own immune systems. I had to learn a lot about the lymph system for my work, and it's an amazing system. Spend some time learning about immunity and how we get it. You'll see that vaccines fit right into how immunity works in the human body. Learn about the difference between innate and acquired immunity, and how we acquire immunity.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I have only had the flu once, and it was after I had a flu shot. I was so sick, that I could not get out of bed for two weeks, and I lost over 40 pounds. By the time I got over that flu, I looked like a walking skeleton. I vowed to myself after that, Never Again. I refuse to allow my children to have them as well. Guess what, they never had the flu either.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I'm torn on the issue. I've had the flu shot in previous years, but I'm leery of vaccinations in general, since my little brother almost died from one when he was just a baby.

Some recent Canadian research indicates the flu shot can make you more susceptible to getting another flu strain in subsequent years. It makes me a bit hesitant http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/09/10/flu-shot-pandemic.html (don't know why the link button will not activate for me!)

I did get the flu a month or so back, likely the same thing whahappened had - one of the worst illnesses ever.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I have a very strong immune system and don't get sick that often so no i never get a flu shot. However, a very strange thing happened once Me and my husband went to a park that was full of ducks and we sat near them on a bench and they were everywhere a couple of days later we both were flattened with a horrible flu and we both just laid there immobilized. i suspect we caught some weird bird flu and survived but that was the only flu I think I ever had.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never wasted the time or money on a flu shot, and the last time I got a flu was when I was still a witless. Fact is, it was probably way back in 1990 or 1991. I have seen people get their flu shots only to get the flu shortly after, usually a week or less later.

My "flu shot" is taking vitamin D (2,000 units per day) during times when the sun is weak. I also use coconut oil, which cuts down on colds as well as the flu. I also take plenty of vitamin C--4,000 mg in 2 doses per day. That, too, cuts way down on colds and other similar problems. Notably, it cuts way down on nosebleeds to take that much vitamin C per day.

• shamus100
    shamus100

They infect monkeys, grind up their brains and inject them into you. >:O All who have it has the heart of a monkey and you may never recover... BEWARE...

But really, um, no. ;( Haven't had the flu in 10 years and if I get it then I get it. ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit