minimus

informative thread

• shamus100
    shamus100

>:O ON JWN? INFORMATIVE???

LOCK IT!!! >:O

• St George of England
    St George of England

A relative of mine had a flu injection many years ago and was subsequently very ill, so I avoided having it.

However, when I got to 65 the doctor suggested it would be a good idea as older people are more vulnerable, so I have it it every year since.

I have not had the flu for many years, I eat lots of garlic, it probably has no medical effect but it sure keeps people at a safe distance!

George

• Satanus
    Satanus

I don't, and if i get it, i take elderberry extract. It cuts it down to 2 or 3 days of flu. It's been studied:

' Medicinal use

In a placebo-controlled, double-blind study, elderberry was shown to be effective for treating Influenza B.[4] People using the elderberry extract recovered much faster than those only on a placebo. The study was published in the Journal of Alternative Complementary Medicine.

A small study published in 2004 showed that 93% of flu patients given extract were completely symptom-free within two days; those taking a placebo recovered in about six days. This current study shows that, indeed, it works for type A flu, reports lead researcher Erling Thom, with the University of Oslo in Norway.[5]

Thom's findings were presented at the 15th Annual Conference on Antiviral Research.

The study involved 60 patients who had been suffering with flu symptoms for 48 hours or less; 90% were infected with the A strain of the virus, 10% were infected with type B. Half the group took 15 milliliters of extract and the other group took a placebo four times a day for five days.

Patients in the extract group had "pronounced improvements" in flu symptoms after three days: nearly 90% of patients had complete cure within two to three days. Also, the extract group had no drowsiness, the downside of many flu treatments. The placebo group didn't recover until at least day six; they also took more painkillers and nasal sprays.

It's likely that antioxidants called flavonoids—which are contained in the extract—stimulate the immune system, writes Thom. Also, other compounds in elderberry, called anthocyanins, have an anti-inflammatory effect; this could explain the effect on aches, pains, and fever.

Elderberry extract could be an "efficient and safe treatment" for flu symptoms in otherwise healthy people and for those with compromised immune systems, such as the elderly, Thom adds.

Russell Greenfield, MD, a leading practitioner of integrative medicine and medical director of Carolinas Integrative Health, advocates treating flu with black elderberry, he says in a news release. "It can be given to children and adults, and with no known side effects or negative interactions," he says.

"But don't expect grandma's elderberry jam" to ease flu symptoms like body aches, cough, and fever, he warns. "Extract is the only black elderberry preparation shown effective in clinical studies."

---

Besides, you get a little chest warming booze buzz.

S

• caliber
    caliber

Both the wife and I got the flu shot once many years ago... within half an hour we were both sicker than dogs.

I have not missed a day of work since 1986 , having not taken a flu shot. I keep hearing you can't get the flu from the flu shot , then why has it happened

to so many right here on this thread ? What are the odds that both myself and wife would come down with the flu at the same time

right after getting the flu shot ; But at the same time having not gotten the flu since without the shot ?

• Giordano
    Giordano

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/flushot.htm It has worked well for the wife and I. Usually I get the shot as soon as soon as it's available in advance of flu season because it takes two weeks for the vacine to work.

The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot. But if your exposed to the live flu during the two weeks you could still get it. Hence the claim that I got a flu shot and came down with the flu. However the vacine did not give it to you. If your a betting person the odds are good that it's worth getting the vacine..........." The seasonal flu vaccine protects against three influenza viruses that research indicates will be most common during the upcoming season." It has been used for decades and is approved for use in people 6 months of age and older, including healthy people, people with chronic medical conditions and pregnant women. Regular flu shots make up the bulk of the vaccine supply produced for the United States.
    Who Should Get Vaccinated This Season?

Everyone who is at least 6 months of age should get a flu vaccine this season. It’s especially important for some people to get vaccinated. Those people include the following:

• People who are at high risk of developing serious complications like pneumonia if they get sick with the flu. This includes:
      • People who have certain medical conditions including asthma, diabetes, and chronic lung disease.
      • Pregnant women.
      • People 65 years and older
    • People who live with or care for others who are high risk of developing serious complications. This includes:
      • household contacts and caregivers of people with certain medical conditions including asthma, diabetes, and chronic lung disease.
  • rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Yes, for about 10 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit