Looking Back, Did You Notice Many JWs Had Drinking, Drug or Mental Issues?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

I once knew a woman after she became a JW; she ended up taking medication for depression. She was a JW for several years, and eventually left it. About a year after she left, she stopped taking those medications, and she learned that the cult was the reason for her depression.

Tameria I noticed the same thing about myself. My psychiatrist classed me bipolar because of my family history but she didn't know about the cult because at first I didn't mention it because of the all the fear the JW's put into you about it. Now that I'm awake I don't have as much mental stuff going on. Maybe that is the self medication with the alcohol a bit but I no longer need my meds.

• Balaamsass
  • mamochan13
    mamochan13

oh, yeah. I dated a hotel manager who, when he found out I was a JW, asked me if JWs were all alcoholics, because all the hotels in his city used to double their orders during convention time.

At the very least, it's a coping mechanism, a way to fill the gap and replace all the things you cannot do as a JW. As others have pointed out, though, it's also a psychological escape on a very profound level. The religion is extremely negative, with every outlook focused on what is bad. That alone can drive you to drink.

JWs are not allowed to access healthy counselling, but they think it must be okay to take pills. So you can be on Prozac but you can't see a worldly psychiatrist.

• maisha
    maisha

There was one family in the congregation, sort of laid back and easy going, Being busy i didnt really have the time to know them well.

a sister moved in having served in bethel.

She was young and hot to the eye, but very serious to all.

She meet up with one of the young bro's and well they had a few kisses and got married...

Being the ex bethel i am the way type, she was anxious about helping others in the service and the above famiy was not that active.

so she targeted them.

This young one was a anti depressant girl, i didnt know why she was so hyper and one day when visiting for a counseling home vivit after she was married i happened into the bathroom for a pee.

the cabinet was open and there they all were,,, loads of prescription anti sadness pills.

I just about fell on the floor laughing, and i just couldnt understand why in the hell this beautiful young woman would be so depressed.

She has status because of her service, her comments, everything going for her and now a nice young christian husband.

So i went out and we stayed for some time interacting with the new couple and getting to know their thoughts.

Obviously thoughts expressed on a SHP visit are not always those really held only the face that is shown.

Well, one day i went around to their house to see her husband about a job, but he was out, she invited me inside for a coffee.

I was not going to accept but i thought i would and just be friendly, she was in a dressing gown as it was morning.

I sat down at the dining table, and chatted while she made the coffee in the kitchen, I could just see her a little around the corner and I noticed she open her robe up and loosen the belt so that she was exposed nicely.

I thought, ok, that is interesting, i wil just sit back and see what she needs.

She came in with the drinks and sat down so her breasts were visible and her legs were open, she acted as though nothing was open and i just had an eye full.

We talked about her service at bethel we moved to how she was getting on with her new husband and she started to ask me questions about sex.

I mentioned how she had nice assets and her husband must be enjoying them, and she started to cry.

She calmed down and we discussed what the problem was, her new man was her first man,, and she had never been laid before. she needed some guidance on what should happen in the bedroom. Well i knew her new man had not had anyone before her either,,, lol,,,

SO i was thinking to myself this girl wants more than she is getting.

I aksed her why she was taking the pills, and she said she was just so depressed and the stress of trying to be perfect al the time was too much to handle. I was just cracking up inside,,, She told me she had never come and her husband didnt know how to give her an orgasim, I wanted to give her one but i stayed restrained, I told her i would talk to her husband privately about good sex as he was my mate.

Any way, I had my little chat to her hubby and i presumed all was great,

As i Mentioned she had trageted this family, and she started going there a lot, SOmetimes the wife would be home and sometimes just her husband, now the husband was on heavy anti depressants and his wife also, so when they found out she was also it was like a drug den,,, and she started to get it on with the other family husband and aven with the wife and the husband as a threesome.

She was getting her orgasims finally.

They would beg and cry and attend meetings so all they were getting was private reproof, this wen ton for about a year.

and still they were meeting up for naughties.... hahahhahaa

I personally felt it was a good thing as it kept them sane and happy. but the young bro he just chilled and really didnt mind his wife getting it accross the table, hell he even went there and they ended up having coffee.

So time and again they would go there so she could get THEIR HELP, in her life,,, she said she needed this other womans husband and couldnt live without him, she wanted to be a second wife.

I advised the young bro to move away far which is what he did.

That was the only way this problem ended..

• designs
    designs

Alcohol definitely yes, my first two Overseers were hardcore alcoholics and they got me hooked when I was 15. Prescription meds like painkillers were the other substance that was abused by many.

• SophieG
    SophieG

MAISHA!

That story is OFF THE CHAIN! But honestly I am not surprised. I think this kind of stuff happens more often than we know and folks just don't "kiss and tell" to the elders!

• trebor
    trebor

Looking back and now absolutely. J.W.'s know it too:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151287849104044&set=a.304058154043.148673.741784043&type=1

Quote: " One thing about the Witnesses is they love to drink. I got tore up on more than one occasion with 'the brothers'. Tore up in moderation of course."

• minimus
    minimus

Maisha, if this story is true, why were you laughing so much. Her situation wasn't something hysterically funny.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I agree Min, It's a sad situation that the happiest folk on earth have to take anti depressants just to cope

• James Brown
    James Brown

When I was drinking age as a witness, I remember many but not all drank. I remember some that where

weird. Also my worldly friends from school drank. I thought most everyone drank.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit