Looking Back, Did You Notice Many JWs Had Drinking, Drug or Mental Issues?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

they self medicate. That's all they have

• romie
    romie

I grew up around the Witnesses and i encounted some who had overcame different drug addictions i remember this one brother who was at one time a nortorious heroine addict until he found the truth.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The congregations I was in were like Prozac nation. Seems like the majority of the "happiest people on earth" were on the stuff, or some similar product. Including me, at the time. Funny, I haven't needed it since I left the organization.

• d
    d

Yes I knew some people who were dealing with some serious depression and anxiety. It is sad to see how unhappy many of them were.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Anxieties about ones personal future and regret over past mistakes is an environment that encourages destructive behaviors : co-dependancy, alchoholism and drug abuse. The US branch is well aware of these ongoing problems. Prescription drug use for depression and anxiety is widespread. Unfortunatly, the organizations solution for folks with these issues is disfellowshipping - not professional therapy, rehabilitation or spiritual support.

• blondie
    blondie

How many posting here were part of that group?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS:

Sadly, I did. I also was annoyed that I had to weigh or measure my words when around certain ones because they were overly sensitive about too many things. It was really a drag to be around them.

I wonder, though, if their over-sensitivity was simply old-fashioned cognitive dissonance kicking in.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Lots of drinking everywhere I went..

JW kids notice JW Adults..

......................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• AGuest
    AGuest

Ditto what everyone else stated (peace to you all!), especially this:

i remember this one brother who was at one time a nortorious heroine addict until he found the truth.

He wouldn't happen to have been in Sacto, CA, would'ja, dear Romie (peace to you!)? Not that Sacto had the only former addicts among them. Just curious.

How many posting here were part of that group?

I wasn't but my ex was, dear Blondie (peace to you!). I dabbled before them, as a teen (it was the 70's fer cryin' out loud!)... but thought that was their purpose: to help folks be "clean" before "Jehovah." And so, for many years I didn't ALLOW myself to see all of the alcohol/drug abuse/ mental anguish. I saw it, but "talked myself down". When the ex went into it, though... folks and stuff came out of the WOODWORK... and I simply couldn't deny/ignore it.

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• d
    d

I also knew some who had some severe anxiety and it was sad to see.So many of them needed professional help. it is sad and their nothing much I can do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit