Do Witnesses Ever Talk About Their Living Forever And Never Dying?

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

"I don't know if it will come in my lifetime, but I know it will come!"

When someone tells me this, I say "Why did you(we) ever imagine that it would come in (y)our lifetime to begin with? [pause] Oh! that's right! Because the WTS/GB/WT PREDICTED THAT IT WOULD -- ASSURED US THAT IT WOULD! So where is it?"

Doc

• james_woods
    james_woods

We have had other threads on this subject - and generally the concensus has been that a very small percentage - probably not more than 25% actually believe that the new system will come during their lifetimes.

Many, of course, will SAY they believe it - but I think that very very few actually still do.

Here is a typical comment - from the thread on 1975 - and I think it is very true:

Frankly, for most JWs (except perhaps the newest recruits) I think 1975 and the time hence has indeed been "enough". Locally (almost) NO ONE is living as though we are in "the Last Days". Apathy is abundant. Most are going through the motions, not knowing what else to do.
  • minimus
    minimus

So they stay in because they don't teach hellfire, immortality of the soul, etc??

• james_woods
    james_woods
    So they stay in because they don't teach hellfire, immortality of the soul, etc??

I think they stay in for pretty much the same reason the North Koreans stay in North Korea: First, they are trapped there - mentally. Second, they have been going through the JW motions so long they just don't know anything else to do.

• minimus
    minimus

hmm

• james_woods
    james_woods

What I mean is that the vast majority of the young generation that I know could really care less about the actual doctrines.

They are just going along with the flow.

• minimus
    minimus

just like Catholics. There are Roman Catholics and then there are Catholics.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Yup.

This was, incidentally, an important thread which we should all remember:

The point being - not very many of the JWs themselves still REALLY believe in their big promise of the new earth in their lifetimes.

• minimus
    minimus

Fine summation, Brother Woods!

• emperorslaundrist
    emperorslaundrist

it's such a strange new thing to realize that I'm not going to live forever, that my parents aren't just going to wake up again one day. there has been this dull sad ache in behind my chest and gut from it, but i wouldn't give up my new freedom of thought for anything. death is so liberating, the WTS lost it's power over me when i choose death. embracing death all of my guilt and fear evaporates, and life becomes crisper achingly beautiful and mysterious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit