Do you know where you gun is?

by purplesofa 57 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

To gunowners:

Is your gun in a place where a child, unstable person, mentally ill person, suicidal person, or stranger cannot get to it? Do you ..right now, know an unstable person that owns a gun?

Until we go through this debate, hash out all the stats, get laws passed, appropriate money for mental illness, etc etc etc.

we can make sure our guns are in a secure place.

Ask other gunowners the same.

This is something we can do NOW.

thanks,

purps

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I don't feel the need to own one.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Yep. ALL of mine are locked up in a 600lb, fireproof safe, except my .45, which is locked up in a safe bolted to my nightstand that will only open after scanning my or my wife's thumbprint.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Low-key

MrFreeze~I don't own a gun either.

• finally awake
    finally awake

our guns are all locked in a metal gun safe, which is bolted to the wall studs in the storage room. The ammunition is stored in a separately locked compartment in the gun safe (it has a different key). The only keys are kept on Just Ron's key ring, and the kids have never seen him open the gun safe.

• trillaz
    trillaz

You forgot one thing. What if the gun owner is mentally-ill? I think that people can be seemingly stable and that just because they snap does not mean they would be considered ill enough to not get a gun when you get into the details.

• Simon
    Simon

IIf all the guns are locked away, it kind of makes a mockery of the notion that they will provide instant protection doesn't it? I never believed it before, now im actually laughing at the thought. I think in peoples heads they sit there like Clint Eastwood (before he went all 'empty chair crazy')

• Simon
    Simon

Aren't people who think they need semi-automatic weapons by definition mentally I'll?

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

The safe that contains my .45 is very quick. Put my thumb on the sensor, and it springs open.

• finally awake
    finally awake

The guns we own are not for protection, they are for hunting, and we eat everything Just Ron kills.

I agree with Trillaz' point - a person may be mentally healthy and no risk to anyone when he obtains a gun, but 20 years down the road he may become dangerous. I don't know what the ideal solution is, but I guarantee that if one of my kids showed symptoms of becoming violent or suicidal, our guns would be gone immediately.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit