School Shooting - God

by elder-schmelder 58 Replies latest jw friends

• Glander
    Glander

from a recent thread -

" I noticed a lot of threads about atheists and the existence of God but..

i cannot imagine life without believing in God and that he is good and that there will be a better future. I could never believe that this life and this world is all there is. I would be very sad and hopeless. I mean...if there's no God...what the hell is the purpose of life?"

Maybe because God is an invention of man's. A comforting illusion that is on a level with Santa Clause and can be used to control masses.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Not going to go the "Where is/why didn't God...?" direction, either (peace to you all!). Not the time for it, just now, IMHO (although dear Sab's comments were beautifully written). While some outside this board might also be "cursing" God, it seems that most are doing the RIGHT thing... and looking to the young man responsible for this heinous tragedy and pointing their "why's" in that direction. It is to that I wish to comment.

I've had the news on all morning (not much else is on, actually): there are 26-28 dead (27, including the shooter, 18 children, and 6-8 others, depending on who's reporting... including the shooter's mother... at one scene, and another adult at another scene (home)). They are not yet certain whether there was one shooter or two (a brother could have been involved). The mother was a teacher at the school (no word yet as to the other adult at the home).

As a parent... and the friend of parents... I have often noticed that some parents are unable to find an adequate "balance" between work and home. Given that so many children were also killed (again, 18 - who couldn't possibly have done anything to this young man to warrant him taking their lives... and "telling him to 'go up baldhead'" doesn't count, so keep your comments, there) is it possible that this young man, who was obviously unstable and suffering from SOME kind of mental and/or emotional instability and and perhaps even anguish, perceive these children as a threat to his relationship with his mother... something she might have been paying more attention to/giving more of her time and consideration to... than him? Maybe she even compared him to them... in a, perhaps unknowingly/unkindly, way... from time to time?

[Okay, the report just changed: 20 children, 6 adults. Whatever: too many of either.]

Anyway, I ask as I do because I think many (most) of us would actually be shocked... if not appalled... if we truly knew the relationships between our friends, family members, co-workers, neighbors, etc.,... and their children. Most of these parents have NO idea (or concern) that their relationships are as bad as they are... or how their words, actions, and/or inattention can effect their children. Granted, this young man was 24, but that's not that far from childhood, is it?

NOBODY thinks THEIR kid is capable of doing something like this. Until they do.

Please, if you have a poor, antagonistic, indifferent, neglectful, tyrannical, guilt-ridden, absent, oppressive, unnurturing, unkind, unloving. overbearing, ridiculing, "you'll never be/measure up"... "you get on my nerves,"... "I hate you"... "I can't wait until you..." or "Here, have whatever you want, but just leave ME alone" kind of relationship with your child... stop. And think. If you are abusing your child... sexually, physically, mentally, emotionally, psychologically... or spiritually... STOP. And THINK. If you THINK your child is having problems and/or needs help... because of you or NOT because of you but something/someone else... or think he/she might do something dangerous... to himself/herself, others, or YOU (and while there aren't ALWAYS "signs", there often are, if one just takes the time to get to know... and I mean really KNOW their child... which TAKES time and effort)... please... be a [good] parent and do what you SHOULD... what you MUST!

If you need to take time off to spend with your kid(s), need to quit your job even... heck, need to MOVE so as to take your child out of an enviroment that is detrimental to him/her (and perhaps others, including you as a result)... do what you SHOULD... what you MUST.

Because if you don't... and you should have... COULD have... YOU may also be responsible for what your child ultimately does in his/her life. Also, because, as we often see, not only might that kid end up killing others... but end up killing you.

Peace. Truly. Especially in the home.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Really, a single individual such as yourself may not have the capability of understanding God's creation 13.7 billion years after the Beginning. Grasping the decisions of God is a process as we are so young.

Stop blaming people that care for your god being an asshole.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

look why focus on things that nobody no at the momment, focus on the kids and there familys. this is so sad . how can a parent go on after this. ohh this gets my blood boiling.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia
    These kids are now with their loving God, and are not sad at all. They are in a wonderful place right now, seeing more amazing things and meeting more amazing people than any of us ever have.

You are a sick person.

This isn't about god. It's about all those children and the adults protecting them who died. It's a terrible terrible event. How awful the people there must feel, the parents and family members, everyone who works at the school, the emergency responders. How sick and sad they must feel.

• AGuest
    AGuest

The young man was 20 years old. Not much past a child himself.

Please... get to know your children. Not know of, not know about, not "think" you know. Know. It can be tough, but it can be tougher if you don't. And it really isn't that hard. Just takes some time, effort... and desire.

And please... PLEASE... if you are arguing, yelling, screaming, hollering, slamming, throwing things, hitting, kicking, or stomping, or crying hysterically [around] your kids... stop it. STOP it. Resolve in YOURSELF... NO more. Because they don't deserve that. They didn't ask to be here; YOU made that decision.

Please... and peace.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I'm sick for saying that they are in a better glorious place, instead of just dead now for all time? That sounds sick to me. No hope. No relief for grieving parents. Just dead. Enjoy this worldview. It's a depressing one.

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder
    These kids are now with their loving God, and are not sad at all. They are in a wonderful place right now, seeing more amazing things and meeting more amazing people than any of us ever have.

If this is true, then we should all go out and send some kids to see their "loving god".

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

If this is true, then we should all go out and send some kids to see their "loving god".

You're right. We should tell the parents that there kids are dead and gone forever. It would be a sad time to be an atheist and a parent of one of those murdered children.

But hey, we've considered the facts... and science has shown...and the evidence says...and we know because...

No, there is no hope in atheism. None.

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

Is it a happy time to have dead kids and be a christian?

If I was a christian and someone murdered my kids and sent them to heaven with god, then I would kill myself so I could be with my kids again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit