A thought experiment about what it means "to be" GOD

by Terry 143 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

And that is the crux of your argument and also where it fails, you are subjegating a being from another reality to our reality.

If God is GOD then He is NOT subject to our reality, period.

Unless you grasp that, it's pointless to go on.

And at best we can only state that there is one universe and reality that WE KNOW of, it would be incorrect to state that THIS universe and THIS reality is all that there is, ever was and ever will be, no scientist would ever make that claim, certaibly not those that p ostualte the multiple universe scenario for example.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

God was God. That is something.

You defined something as itself. That's circular and not very productive.

There was NO point in which God was NOT creating or knowing or not-existing.

Knowing what? Creating what?

Only man is so shallow as to think that He knows enough to make a comment on things He knows almost nothing about.

You mean like the statement YOU made?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

And that is the crux of your argument and also where it fails, you are subjegating a being from another reality to our reality.

You are stating as fact something that cannot possibly be ascertained. In your own words..."Only man is so shallow as to think that He knows enough to make a comment on things He knows almost nothing about". You are doing the very thing you are complaining about.

• Terry
    Terry

If God is GOD then He is NOT subject to our reality, period.

Unless you grasp that, it's pointless to go on.

All I'm asking you for is your substantiating argument, fact, reference, etc. that grants you "knowingness".

From where I'm sitting, Occam's Razor is a better argument.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I'm trying to get what you're saying Terry. Now, let me ask this:

What if, instead of God, we start with the matter that existed when the Big Bang apparently occured, the singularity that apparently expanded rapidly?

Could that have "existed" on it's own, with nothing else? Could it be differentiated, since there would be nothing to compare it with?

I'm not trying to argue the point; I'm just trying to understand whether it might apply only to God.

By the way, when I Googled Big Bang Theory to be sure of my facts, the entire first page of search results dealt with the TV Show.

• Terry
    Terry

What if, instead of God, we start with the matter that existed when the Big Bang apparently occured, the singularity that apparently expanded rapidly?

Could that have "existed" on it's own, with nothing else? Could it be differentiated, since there would be nothing to compare it with?

I'm not trying to argue the point; I'm just trying to understand whether it might apply only to God.

I understand what you are saying and I'd be happy to go with it!

Would you grant that there is a signficant difference between an Eternal Intelligent Person and mere matter drifting in a vacuum?

If so, the argument has changed in magnitude rather dramatically.

Next step...

Already existing "stuff" would--let's say--be what we now call Hydrogen atoms. These elements are neither organized nor disorganized. They just "exist".

Only possible things happen. Only existing things exist. That's what I'd call a "Duh" sentence. But, it is useful.

A hydrogen atom is differentiated in kind from the "nothing" of the vacuum.

It is differentiated in place because other hydrogen molecules are somewhere relative to one and the other.

It is differentiated in time only if there is "change". Then, whatever event disrupts the non-happening starts the clock between events.

A hydrogen atom is differentiated from other hydrogen atoms by quantity (if there are more or many, etc.)

So, the IDENTITY law is satisfied. To exist these hydrogen atoms are something as opposed to nothing. They are separate, together, apart, bonded--whatever configuration that happens and commensurable.

The period table (which comes billions of years later :) describes the combination of hydrogen atoms with more and more protons and electrons as differentiated elements of greater and greater complexity. Everything that exists is found on the Periodic Table as elements. Just like all english sentences contain letters (in some combination) from the fixed alphabet.

There is no problem starting with ingredients and arriving at a cake.

But, when you start with cake and insist it baked itself? That is several orders of magnitude above assumption!

A simple minded argument starts: GOD always existed and needed no origin but the matter, energy and time MUST have had an origin. That is an artificially imposed

(rigged) game. Occam's Razor would allow simple elements without intelligence or configuration to exist without purpose or cause long before it would posit

the eternal existence of an Almighty intelligent, Powerful, all-knowing, Morally superior, Creative Being both insuperable and ineluctable.

It is the difference between stepping outside your jurisdiction as one who argues facts to begin with God as "unknowable" and yet present "known" facts about Him.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    All I'm asking you for is your substantiating argument, fact, reference, etc. that grants you "knowingness".
    From where I'm sitting, Occam's Razor is a better argument.

You stated that God was creating before he created this universe because, according to you there was nothing.

My point is that your whole premiss is wrong because If there was a God before the universe was created, then there was SOMETHING and if God existed before THIS universe was created that means that another universe ( or reality or existence, pick your poison) was already in existence.

You said God couldnt' know anything before the universe came to be created, but that God himself existed and, we presume, God is self-aware, then, since God was all there was before THIS universe was created, God would knwo all there is to know about Himself.

From where I am sitting, you postulated that God couldn't have created anything before the universe because there was nothing before the universe, which is incorrect because , according to your view, God already existed before the universe He created.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Terry...

you said: "You are using words, but, you are not communicating."...

In my first sentence I said that God always knew and experienced LOVE. In humans, the emotional state of being in love with someone is a learned experience. A few days ago my son was racing upstairs to get something and he stopped short grinned at me and said: "Random hug" and came and hugged me...I didn't take that as an opportunity to teach him that the feeling that caused him to want to give me a hug was an emotion called love...he likely would have looked at me and said, "I know". God didn't have to learn through experience...He knows LOVE.

you said: For God to always know.......is a phrase at odds with meaning.

God=an existing intelligence without origin...(you seem to understand what I was communicating here)

always=non identifiable position in time (in which no events can be measured)...(and here)

know=to possess facts, knowledge, ideas OF non-events, non-things, non-existent insubstantiality...(but here?...the emotion of LOVE though it IS real it is not generally considered a fact, a non-event, a non-thing, or a non-existent insubstantiality)

Every component of your sentence FAILS to communicate an actuality...(you left out the word LOVE and love is an emotion that doesn't need words in order to communicate that it is an actuality)

you said: "Just like me saying "circle that is square" is stringing together a non-thought into a sentence.

Love=the strongest possible emotion attached to a value placed on something...(now you isolate the word LOVE from my sentence construction (a deconstruction) in order to show what?...how I string together a non-thought into a sentence?)

Trinity=primitive pagan construct which posits mutually exclusive disambiguity while asserting identity without differentiation!...(the construction of the doctrine of the trinity was about differentiating between the persons that exist in the Godhead...would it have made more sense to YOU if I said a unity of Father, Son and Holy Spirit?...somehow I think you knew what I was talking about when I said unity of trinity but you chose to express your ignorance by calling that phrase "nonsense")...

If you would avail yourself of the VITAL WITNESS of the Holy Spirit then satan might not be able to take advantage of your egotism which labels these things which relate to God..."non-sense".

love michelle

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    You are stating as fact something that cannot possibly be ascertained. In your own words..."Only man is so shallow as to think that He knows enough to make a comment on things He knows almost nothing about". You are doing the very thing you are complaining about.

Actually, nothing Terry or I are stating is fact, just conjecture.

I am stating that putting our understanding of reality on a being that isn't subject to it doesn't make much sense.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I am stating that putting our understanding of reality on a being that isn't subject to it doesn't make much sense.

Of course it does. The sun is not subject to man-made instruments, we can't travel there, we can't affect it, yet we can study it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit