Did you ever have to walk out of/shut off a movie when watching with JWs?

by keyser soze 47 Replies latest jw friends

• j dubb
    j dubb

If you'd like to learn more about the MPAA ratings system, I recommend This Film Is Not Yet Rated (available on disc and Netflix streaming.)

Also, lots of fun info can be learned over at http://tvtropes.org. Especially http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AvoidTheDreadedGRating

If you want to learn more about the MPAA, take a voyage down to your public library. It's all in books!

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

When I was a kid, I went to a movie with my parents. It was called "The Americanization of Emily".. I was maybe 12?. It starred Julie Andrews and James Garner. We walked out (my mother holding her hand over my eyes....LOL... and my Dad demanded our money back). Very innocent movie by todays standards..... I will never forget that feeling though.... I was soooooo embarrassed!!!!

Coffee

• life is to short
    life is to short

My parents would not allow me to see any movies growing up because a CO once said that we should not see any PG movies as they were graded by the world and if the world said it needed parental guidance then shouldn't that tell us something. The CO just ranted that if the world thinks it is somewhat bad then Jehovah's people should have better standards then the world! RIGHT? Thus no movies for our family and yet growing up one of my dad favorite things had been to go the movies. How said he let a stupid religion control his life. Somehow my dad took it to mean even G rated movies were so bad also so the first movie I went to see was when I was 16 years old it was Bambi and I had to sneak out of the house to see it.

Also I loved to read as a kid and I devoured book. I loved the Wizard of oz books and I got into trouble by a elder when I was 12 years old. He came by to visit my parents and I had left my book out that I was reading by mistake. I tried to grab it so I could hide it but he grabbed it out of my hand as I walked by and just glared at me after seeing what it was.

I was a 12 year old kid. It still hurts even now the way he treated me that day, the look that man gave me as a 12 year old kid was like I was pond scum for reading the book.

LITS

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

The elderette who ended up indoctrinating me (doing my "study") saw my DVD's, none of them adult only, but wickedly including Harry Potter, Lord of The Rings and Star Wars (it's a hard line congregation) and demanded that I should get rid of everything of that ilk no violence, no magic.

When I took my grandson to see Skyfall a few weeks ago, at the last minute, in tha darkness as the programme had started, two JW's who had also had a share in my indoctrination crept in and sat in the only seats available, right in front of us. They knew that, according to all the talks and admonition s in the KH, there was no way they should be there...but I had walked, I was free, and my grandson and I were having a lovely time! Watching them try hard to pretend they hadn't seen me and weren't really there was hilarious!

• j dubb
    j dubb

I'll never forget that movie shown on TV I watched with my wife and son. That bedroom scene! It turned out to be the same movie we walked out of a few years ago! Our whole family had an attack of conscience immediately after it ended and we had to re-evaluate our standards.

Oh, wait, maybe that was an 80s convention demonstration...

• Skbj
    Skbj

Absolutely! I wasn't allowed to watch so many movies/tv series when living with my parents. As a teen in the 90s my big thing was Beverly Hills 90210 and used to be broadcasted on thursday night, meeting night, so soon as I got my driving license and car I used to breeze off the KH to catch it the 2nd episode. No Tivo or re-runs those days lol. I got away with it until my mom was home sick one day and happened to watch it and after that it was banned.

But wasn't just movies with sex scenes, practically all Arnie's movies I wasn't allowed to watch and with that all B movies for too much violence. They wouldn't even let me watch WWE :/

Movies are a big passion of mine so that's one of the first things I did when I left home, I run through every single film/tv show I wasn't allowed to watch in my early years. And guess what? I'm still a normal person.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Hehe.... This has been an interesting topic. Man, I had no idea I grew up in such a permissive congregation! No Star Wars! It sounds like a lot of congregations, or at least families, were in a competition to see who could have a more sensitive conscience.

• Skbj
    Skbj

@ Apognophos indeed, but you can trust whole congregations flocked to watch Indiana Jones and the last Crusade because it said the name of God was Jehovah!! I know my congregation did! Even tho Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was banned.

How pathetic!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit