What would Jesus think of Crosses everywhere?

by Simon 100 Replies latest social humour

• NewChapter
    NewChapter
    You open a drawer and find the picture of a loved one passed away that you haven't seen in a long time. You are overcome with emotion. Are you crying over a picture? What is the object of your emotion?

Are you denying that some of that is not actual devotion to the symbol? Not in all cases, of course. However if my loved one were killed by a gun or a knife, I don't think I would want to intensify my grief by having those pictures laying about. It seems natural to me to feel a healthy grief over things that are momentos of passed loved-ones. A moment of reflection. It seems unnatural to me to reach to magnify the grief and pick the scab by displaying the cause of death. I don't have pictures of cancerous tumors in my home to remind me of my mother. That would be unbalanced at best.

But I don't think that individuals are unbalanced that cling to the cross, but the culture that molded them to give significance to a symbol that really was a torture device. Has such had an impact on people? I think so. History kind of proves that torture within Christian cultures was seen as righteous in some way. Sometimes even as a cleansing of sins. My friend's mother had to kneel on rice and say the rosary when she was bad. That's torture. Is it ancient history? It was only a generation ago, and I have learned since then, it was not an aberration, but I've heard quite a few stories of the last generation kneeling on rice as children. One of my highschool teachers went to a Catholic school. He said every morning, every single morning, the students would have to hold their hands out, palm up. The nun would whack them all on the palms with a ruler and proclaim, "That is for the bad thing you did, and if you haven't done anything bad, that is for the bad thing you will do."

Times are changing. As things become more secular, there is push back. It's not okay to force every child to greet the day with stings to their hands. Yet I still find it noteworthy that being good and experiencing pain went hand-in-hand for so long. It still goes on today. Mother Teresa and her cult of suffering as though it was holy. I think the cross is simply a symbol of this. Implement of torture=holiness and forgiveness of sins. It goes much deeper than the cross, but that is the visual we are given. Humans are inherently defective, in need of repair, and the only way to achieve that was torture and a drawn out death.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Maybe the cross is used for its ability to evoke vivid images in the mind...of a violent death..bringing up emotion.

I really don't think the average person seeing a cross necessarily thinks of violent death - today it is just a symbol of the christian religion...like the star of David is a symbol of judaism.

• Pterist
    Pterist

**** This is the symbol that represents who they are. Why is THIS not idolatry, but someone seeing the cross as a symbol of Christianity IS? I agree that some Catholics honor the cross in a way that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. But this seems to be the exception more than the rule in Christianity.***

Good point Christ Alone.....

A church or religious organisation can also become an Idol.

The apostle Paul's words "we preach NOT ourselves but Christ as Lord 2 Corinthians 4:5..

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

The Jews were ordered to wear fringed garments with blue thread above them. Jesus was used to symbols because of religious worship, he probably wouldn't have a problem with crosses to identify someone as a Christian.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

@James Woods~

It came to be such a symbol today somehow, the ways of which I'd have to research...but I speak of how I view the use of the cross for religious purposes, in a solemn sense. Along the same lines of the dramatic artwork, choir, the ambiance of it all(which can be absoutely beautiful aesthetically). Tying emotion in with devotion

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I would say if an image is used in your worship, that makes it an idol. Catholics have their rosary, which they use in worship (or prayer). The rosary has a cross, so I would say to them, the cross is an idol.

My opinion is if you are using it in prayer, directing prayers towards it, or using it as some lucky charm, then it is an idol. So if you use it in any sort of supernatural function, the cross is an idol. There are many Christians who don't. To some wearing the cross is just a reminder. I don't view that as an idol.

• Pterist
    Pterist

A Christian baptism is a way of the cross. The understanding is that the cross in Christianity signifies the death and resurrection of Christ Jesus. Christian baptism symbolizes our union with that process in Christ. We co-operate in being crucified with Christ meaning death to "self" and self interest and being raised in the same power that rised Christ from death. Martin Luther called it "daily living our baptism". It's a fundament principle in spiritual life that the "SELF" must die to be raised in New Spiritual Life.

Shalom

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

NC, the difference of a symbol to a logo. Most of it is semantics. In marketing there is very little difference between a "logo" and a "symbol". A logo, in marketing terms, is usually a word or words in type. It identifies the company, brand, project, or group. However a symbol is a mark or marks without type, which are used to identify a coprorationm, agency, or institution. An example is NIKE. NIKE is the logo (with the specific typesetting and font, with the "swoosh" being its symbol. (BTW, this is straight from my marketing textbook. Both represent something. When you look at a WT logo (or more correctly SYMBOL), you may not get an emotional attachment...but many others do. Many brothers in my hall commonly wore WT tie clips. The WT logo is all over everything at bethel. It represents Jehovah's organization.

For me, I don't get overly emotional when I see a cross. It's a symbol of Christianity, yes. Do I worship it? No. The comparison to wearing a gun or knife is faulty to me for this reason: The cross is no longer used as an execution device. We have no experience with it. It is beyond our western experience. Guns and knives ARE objects that are used to inflict pain and death today. With the cross the focus is not "See what a terrible death Jesus faced!" It is: "Jesus conqured the cross. He defeated the grave." The cross represents victory. It represents hope for us.

So yes, there is a lot of meaning in the cross. But is it an idol? I can't see it. An idol is an object used for worship. I don't use the cross for worship, and I don't know others that do.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Humans are inherently defective, in need of repair, and the only way to achieve that was torture and a drawn out death.

The only way to achieve that was a love so grand and strong that He was willing to undergo torture and slow death.

Depending on who you are, you will either focus on the death or the love.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

My opinion is if you are using it in prayer, directing prayers towards it, or using it as some lucky charm, then it is an idol.

And the majority of Chrisians do not do any of this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit