What would Jesus think of Crosses everywhere?

by Simon 100 Replies latest social humour

• Simon
  • MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I've always thought that. The JWs actually make a good point when they say "If your son was killed by a drunk driver, would you have emblems of alcohol and cars all over the place?"

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

We know that at least the early Christians did not reject the cross as something to be shunned. Besides the many quotations of Paul that we should not lessen the power of the Cross, there have been 1st century Christian catacombs unearthed that show that the Christians of that time used the Cross as a symbol of their faith. So the idea that the cross should be viewed in the same manner as a murder weapon (as Jws say) is bogus to the scriptures. 1Cor 1:17 says: " For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power."

http://www.leaderu.com/theology/burialcave.html

• james_woods
    james_woods

I don't know - would the dead marines who raised the American flag on Mt. Suribashi take offense at the famous photos and the statue of it being widely distributed?

There is something of a religious sense of ironic justice that the implement of death was transformed into a religious symbol of hope which became extremely powerful in later history.

This, of course, supposes that the story is historically real - an assumption for which there could be serious doubt.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Because the cross is a sign of salvation, as Paul said, He boasts in nothing but the cross.

The JW analogy is horrific because it doesn't understand what the cross means.

It means LIFE and NOT death.

The correct analogy would be:

If your son died by thowing himself in front of a car and in doing so, he saved billions of lives, the symbol of that car would mean life for countless and it would mean something special for you as well.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Funny..I liked it..

..........................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I find it wonderful that the cross WAS of pagan orgins. I find it interesting that JWs reject the cross because it was pagan. Well...what else would you expect Him to die on when killed by a pagan nation?!?!? Someone on another site brought out that the "stake" is not much better. It is a phallic symbol. Why should JWs reject a cross for a clearly phallic torture stake and think that is MUCH better?

Jesus took something (a pagan symbol) that true worshipers rejected, and showed that He is greater. He took a symbol that meant torture, and turned it into a symbol for hope.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

LOL! Just hearing Jesus say wtf made my day

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

BTW, did Simon just violate his own rule #3?

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

cross

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit