Stronger Christian presence on JWN?

by Christ Alone 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I am a Christian, and have been a churchgoer all my life, apart from the 18 months or so when I stopped and lost my senses and went along to the KH. Biggest mistake of my life.

I've worked within the church, and been in a position of leading groups in various ways, but I also find a lot that is good and true in many ways within Hinduism, Buddhism, shamanism, "New Age" thinking and more. And it makes no difference to me whatever a person's beliefs are, Moslem, Hindu, Christian, pagan, atheist...it is how people are as people in their heart that counts.

Recent discussion threads involving atheists have been extremely interesting to me, particularly where they are articulate in denying the existence of a spiritual dimension. Most who profess themselves to be Christians, or adherents of other religions or ways of thinking that include New Age thought and paganism, are aware of exactly that spiritual dimension that seems to be explicitly rejected or denied by those who do have a belief.

Another difference is their asking for evidence. The fact that religious thought doesn't really depend in any way on evidence, even though there may be historical fact or incident on which a faith is based, is another marked difference. For example, much Native American religious thinking is based on myth rather than actual history. The structure of the Navaho religious system of thought is beautiful, and entirely consistent with modern conservation thought in its understanding of the need for harmony and interdependence of all life on earth. I share that approach, and, interestingly, many atheists, perhaps on this board too, are also ardent conservationists.

I mentioned beauty as an inherent part of the Navaho thought system. Beauty is an integral dimension of religious thought, certainly in Catholic (including Episcopalian) and Orthodox Christianity and probably in much Protestant religion too.

Although atheists will see beauty in nature, that's the same as everyone will see. They don't go beyond it.

As I've said so often on here, I know and am friends with very many atheists and agnostics offline, in the "real" world. They are comfortable in their atheism, used to it, rarely speak of it, any more than those of us who go to church talk much about it. Some of the atheists who've been posting a lot here recently seem more insistent and less comfortable with their atheism than those I've known for years. Perhaps it's because they're new to it, and have arrived at this point having emerged (as most of us have) from the trauma and lies of the Watchtower? I don't know. It just seems that way sometimes.

Going back to the thread's title, in the nineteen months I've been a member of the board, I've noticed more overt atheism recently, and maybe more Christian posting, but to me it seems as if it could be that way in response to an I crease in atheist posting, which I don't remember so much until comparatively recently.

I think so many here are in a process of healing from the Watchtower. I know I am. It's only recently that I knew I was going back to church, though I never once contemplated atheism. We are all different, working through what's happened to us, determined never to get caught again, and for the most part trying hard to help each other and finding like-minded friends along the way.

• cofty
    cofty
    I know and am friends with very many atheists and agnostics offline, in the "real" world. They are comfortable in their atheism, used to it, rarely speak of it, any more than those of us who go to church talk much about it. Some of the atheists who've been posting a lot here recently seem more insistent and less comfortable with their atheism than those I've known for years.- Chariklo

I know and am friends with very many christians offline, in the "real" world. They are comfortable in their faith, used to it, rarely speak of it, any more than those of us who don't go to church talk much about it. Some of the christians who've been posting a lot here recently seem more insistent and less comfortable with their faith than those I've known for years.

This is a religious discussion forum. Why does that fact seem to escape people when what they actually want is to tell pople they don't agree with to shut up?

This wasn't the topic Chariklo but you had to have a pop at atheists didn't you?

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

What part of what I wrote could you possibly have thought was having a pop at atheists? I specifically made it clear that I wasn't, that I think of people as people.

The question in the thread was whether or not there is a stronger Christian presence on JWN. I suspect, though don't know, that it may be the increased atheist articulacy that brings out articulate Christianity in contrast and in response.

That, Cofty, is not "having a pop" and couldn't reasonably be interpreted as such. Unless the reader was looking for slights.

I was answering the thread topic. Were you?

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

is the type of typical response we are trying to avoid - debate the issue, don't make it personal ..angharad

my post did sound insulting, all apologies. i was saying i like the back and forth between believers and non. it helps me recognize certain patterns of thinking that i used to display and try not to fall back into. i tend to stay out of the personal stuff and wouldnt expect anyone to agree with me.

so i dig hearing from christians and especially jw apologists. peace mon.

• caliber
    caliber

Having both Christians and Atheists on the board works well. Without an equal balance of opposing opinions and challenges to our views people run the risk of becoming members of a self congratulation club.

if we avoiding intimidation or insults we build bridges of understanding...

If we feel a point made will threaten our viewpoint.. how solid is our conviction ?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I occasionally make one which is pro-Buddhist. (I am agnostic) My lady is a lifelong Buddhist, and I think the religion has much to recommend it

Ya it does!!! Like roundhousin' a fool in the face!!!!!

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

^^^^^^Agreed.

This board really exists because of what we all have in common to varying degrees, as far as our upbringing or our one time belief system which has inevitably shaped our world view and in many ways still does.

Christian or Athiest or everything else aside, our starting point is what brings us here. And a common enemy if I dare say,

• rickisteel
    rickisteel

i used to think i was agnostic , then theist but never aethiest i would need more faith than a believer

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I currently identify myself as a Christian.

However, I have to admit that coming out of the control of The Watch Tower has caused me some discomfort. If examining the Organization revealed that it was wrong, then it is hard not to reason back further about the origins of the Bible and the Christian faith itself. Where does one stop? What kind of proof is required? I admit that I like the teachings set forth by Christ himself, but it is hard to harmonize what he taught with how Jehovah acted according to the old testament and how Paul seemed to get a little rules oriented again.

I want Jesus to be true, so I guess I choose to believe that.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I respect atheists because they are not hypocrites like persons who claim to be Christians but act the opposite. I could never in good conscience think poorly of an atheist because of the deplorable behavior of some who claim to be Christians. Do you want to believe in evolution thats cool. I can't prove that God didn't create humans and animals to evolve. Why should I dogmaticly say that he didn't. I wasn't there and the scriptures are silent on the matter. Plus look at the suffering on earth. Why isn't it stopped? Where is God? How much longer could things possibly go on before his point is proven? Is that even loving? It is not your fault that you were born imperfect but you are going to suffer until my point is proven.. don't worry I will erase all the bad soon... I can understand those questions.

I bet some atheists here would feel differently if everyone who claimed to be a Christian really acted like one. Either way we are here, it's our life, it's our planet, why not get along? We will all probably die someday and if Christians ( real ones ) are right then awesome! If not, then we won't know anyway. Why waste time fighting amongst ourselves when we could change things for the better? Tax Organized religion!!!! Require mandatory child protection policies! Require actual works of charity to be considered a charitable organization!! If you tow the line then you might get some tax breaks!!! Otherwise keep preaching for free like you should have been in the first place.... A little off topic, sorry...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit