So, I had a thought about wicked spirits lately...

by sd-7 47 Replies latest jw friends

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The whole reason I even got dragged into this JW stuff, and we didn't just become somebody's return visit they never came back on, is because my mom claimed that the demons were talking to her. They told her that the JWs knew the truth about them, so she called the local Kingdom Hall.

Ummm, yeah, because you should always believe what the demons tell you. Sounds like the demons wanted her to become a JW. Personally, if a demon told me to check out a certain religion because it was the one with the truth, I think I'd be just the least bit skeptical about that.

• sd-7
    sd-7
    I won't continue my devil's advocacy past this point, as I sense that I have annoyed you, sd-7, and that was not my intention; perhaps you're not a big fan of Bro. Olson. I was only attempting to have a level-headed dialectical exchange, since none of your points would be convincing to a long-time Witness, and I wanted to help.

Well, okay, maybe you did annoy me, but that's not always a bad thing, depends on the day, plus I don't seem to have thick enough skin for JWN most of the time if the spotlight's on my actual thoughts. At least I see where you're coming from a little better, though.

Actually, I was trying to correct you on the "Witness viewpoint". Witnesses often refer to the likelihood that we do benefit from individual, physical angelic protection.

A valid point there--I think the problem is that the literature sort of does the typical speaking-out-of-both-sides-of-mouth thing on this issue. Sorry I was only presenting the one side, man, my argumentation sux, badly, but I usually try actually reviewing stuff before posting it.

Nor does a decline in belief in God demonstrably lead to a more rational world.

Well, human nature is such that probably such a world isn't very likely anyway--most people are pretty content not asking the big questions. Good point, there. I did realize that my point in this regard also sucked just before I clicked Submit. So...maybe this thread is kind of a downer, at this point. I usually try not to have so many holes in the logic.

Did not God tell them that they were not to eat from the tree or they would die? What more did they need to know?

I think it was only fair that God explain that he was going to curse the ground so it wouldn't produce much and that Eve was going to have pains during childbirth. Neither of those things was mentioned during the issuing of the command. It makes it look like it was tacked on arbitrarily as a punishment. The ground didn't sin, Adam did, so why curse the ground? If this is about justice, the punishment was supposed to be death, though apparently that was just a general statement, and oh by the way, it'll be a slow and painful death and your life will suck from now on, Dad who has to feed the human race on thorns and thistles and Mom who has to push out 500 babies in incredible pain.

But of course, I wasn't trying to present this argument to a JW. I can't even honestly make a real assertion that these invisible spirits don't exist. It's an unprovable idea, as they're invisible, and there are a number of potential possibilities that may or may not include invisible spirits existing. I do see your points, though. I wouldn't dare try to argue that God or Satan doesn't exist to a JW. That'd be a fool's errand. I mean, I'm a door mat, so...being a fool would actually be a step up. So I can see why you'd take the ball and run with it on this thread. Better to be a door mat, by far. At least there's less laughter involved than in being a fool.

But thanks for putting those thoughts out there. I guess I was just thinking out loud without a fact/logic-checker in place. I'm too tired to worry about it anyway. We're all going to die regardless, so...it's sort of a silly thing to argue about, in the end. We'll get to meet all the gods and demons we want on that day. I'll have to remember to attach an invisible postcard to me so I can write you from hell one of these days.

Oh, and about the naked woman dream thing...well, maybe I exaggerated a bit. It was just some pretty standard sex with her on top, in the dream. Didn't have wings, either. It was probably just an erotic dream. Man, I miss having those. They used to happen so much more when I was younger. It truly is better not to have sex at all, because at least you won't want it nearly as much...as I do now....but this thread isn't about that, so time to shut up.

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

I think I should add, too, that I'm not necessarily against the notion of there being a God or even Christianity. I'm still exploring the ideas and haven't really stepped away from any one concept. Admittedly I haven't prayed in a very long time and maybe that's the atheist/agnostic side shining through. There's clearly something real and good that can come from religious belief, and I doubt I'll part with that entirely in my lifetime, at least not with such a constant JW presence at home... No offense, Mrs. sd-7. Not that you're reading this.

I was just thinking. Not really desperate to disprove God or the Devil, kind of ambivalent on it.

--sd-7

• Terry
    Terry

Whatever we fear is "really' THERE because our fear puts it there.

If the fear goes away the thing we fear goes away too.

I speak from experience.

I use to feel the presence of invisible spirits and had terrible anxiety if I were alone in the dark. I was a JW of course and they stoke that fear.

When I stopped believing in all that nonsense the most extraordinary burden of fear went away forever.

I can watch the scariest horror flick and then walk through the house in the dark and not have the least thought about it!

Being a superstitious religious person is a bondage of the mind...a terrible waste of one's energy.

I like to ask believers in "spiritual warfare" a simple question: "How big is a demon? After all a whole legion of them possessed just one man in Jesus' day?". The silliness of being inhabited by invisible creatures who are former angels is sort of laughable now.

Are demons germ-size?

Who gave angels the power to create human bodies along with a sperm count and a genetic structure that remarkably interfaces with females?

In the days of Noah, so JW's teach, the angels forsook heaven to have sex and produce GIANTS!! Oh...My...God! How stupid!!

Angels are above mankind---so we were taught----having sex with humans would be like humans having sex with animals. What is the appeal??

It is all so extravagently imaginary and primitive---how did we manage to swallow such a lump anyway?

• rebel8
    rebel8

yes they do emit this distinct oder.

Sleep apnea causes dreamlike experiences strikingly similar to "demon" experiences. Sometimes people with it emit a body odor or sweat a lot when they're sleeping.

Here's one of my favorite videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I should apologize for running all over you, sd-7, as that was not my intention either. Looking back, I seem to have been a little overzealous. I think I was just trying to escape from a boring financial chore I've been working on for a few days and your thread got me thinking. I'm generally a verbose person, and a bit OCD, so one thing led to another! I also wasn't sure if you might actually use those arguments against a JW or not, but now you've explained that you weren't planning on doing that, so I probably should have kept my mouth shut.

The most important thing, as Terry said, is that we leave the superstitious fears of the Witnesses behind us, so we're on the same side when it comes to that. As you acknowledged, we can't really account for all possibilities; although I think we both tend not to believe in the supernatural, there's always a chance that there's something real behind all the legends. I sometimes wonder what I would do if I experienced something supernatural myself; would I start questioning my doubts about the JWs? That's why I liked your statement that, no matter what, you are still confident that the truth isn't with the Witnesses, so it's not like you'd go running back to them if a demon said, "Boo". That's an attitude I hope I can claim to have as well.

And the Adam and Eve account is quite dubious, for a few reasons we all know about. You mentioned the strange curses pronounced on the first humans -- let's not forget that the snake got cursed too! You already pointed this out in your "rant" thread: why take this mess out on a dumb snake? The more logical explanation for the whole Eden account is definitely that an ancient writer was trying to explain strange aspects of our design that would be apparent to one with a pastoral lifestyle, like the difficulty of human childbirth compared to the animals, and why it was so hard to bring in a harvest in this world that God supposedly created for us. The talking snake was likely just that, a talking snake (with legs!). I think that a JW with a little intellectual honesty will have to admit that considering the account as a "literal fairy tale" makes for a much simpler reading. That's one account of a wicked spirit that seems to be easy to knock down.

Anyway, I do enjoy your posts, so please don't be put off by my attempt at dialectics. I respect the fact that we sometimes just need to spout off here once in a while. I promise not to put on my devil's advocate hat next time you do so!

• sd-7
    sd-7

Thanks. I also wanted to add, about the pioneers and elders--the reason I suggested, hey why wouldn't wicked spirits just take them out. It wouldn't be about them, it would be about what they could do--a pioneer could potentially create 5, 10, 30 more JWs. Because they're out there recruiting harder than most. Taking them out might, in theory, prevent those 30 people from joining up (or with an elder, maybe he can save 5 people from leaving who sin or get discouraged, for example). Often people are drawn to the pioneer's personality/specialized training and that helps the recruitment process. Just like a smash-mouth football game with no rules--you want to take out the person who puts the most points on the board, and that puts the other team at a disadvantage. But of course, that would be assuming that no personal protection for them existed, which, as you established, does exist (and doesn't exist, depending on which article you read).

But I'll stop there. It sounds like we had a nice go of it, though. No harm done, Apognophos.

--sd-7

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Hmm, I see your point now. Incidentally, a relative of mine was one of those highly effective pioneers, and she probably brought in about [redacted] people (sorry, she was well-known, but it's a large number, suffice to say). She was the one who had the "demon attack" I mentioned, although she prevented a reoccurrence by burning something suspicious that was newly brought into the household! Yes, I think the JW response would be that she must have had some special, personal protection or else Satan would have just dropped a piano on her or something. Truth is stranger than fiction, but beliefs are often stranger than truth, aren't they!

Glad that there are no hard feelings, see you around the forum!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit