Celebrating Christmas?????

by DATA-DOG 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• goldensky
    goldensky

Ha, ha, ha! Thank you, jwfacts. I just sent the quotation to my JW brother and sister, with the title "Russell was much closer to the truth...".

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

None of the boozy crowd who invade our place at Christmas is christian, some I think have a belief in god perhaps, but jesus doesn't seem to figure.

We just get together, have a damn good feed, a chin-wag, and plenty of festive spirit. As we also give presents and love christmas lights etc the hawk-eyed J.W's may accuse us of celebrating Christmas.

I do not give a flying f*** what they think, as a non-believer I can celebrate anything, any time and in any way I like, and they can go and....you know what.

It would really please me if they tried to DF me for celebrating christmas, boy would the Gutter Press love that !

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

After I left I had nothing to do with Christmas, Easter, Birthdays, etc, etc for nearly twenty more years. Now I do them all becuase the guilt has gone, and they are a lot of fun.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I wouldn't celebrate myself but I did read an article by an ex JW who decided to and found it quite interesting. The fact that Jesus birth was celebrated by angels at the time. It was a joyous occasion and then later gifts brought for him by the magi to again celebrate the birth of a king. The pagan aspect was brought in by Constantine after he became christian to keep his pagan people happy. Christmas could still be celebrated without keeping all the pagan symbols related to it, just as a simple family celebration of a joyous occasion. As for the date not being known, in this country our Queen has two birthdays one real one and one official one, (one is in April the other in June). I think though that maybe it has gone full circle. It started off as a pagan celebration, then Jesus birth became inextricably linked with it, now people who don't even believe in God or Jesus celebrate it. So what is the 'real' christmas?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

For every argument that Christmas has "pagan origins" I cna show you one that has historical backing that it doesn't.

To me the argument of "pagan origins' is not only incorrect but totally irelevant.

I celebrate the Birth of My Lord and Saviour on the25th of December, not his "birthday".

In Canada we have a traditon of Christmas trees and since, IMO, that traditonal has roots in the German Nativity plays of the middle ages, it is biblical in theme.

To me the tradtion of Chirstmas is best summed up in this:

9 And (F) an angel of the Lord suddenly (G) stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them; and they were terribly frightened. 10 But the angel said to them, “ (H) Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; 11 for today in the city of David there has been born for you a (I) Savior, who is (J) Christ (K) the Lord. 12 (L) This will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” 13 And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,

14 “ (M) Glory to God in the highest,
    And on earth peace among men (N) with whom He is pleased.”

Christmas to me will always be about love, life, peace and good will towards all people.

I couldn't care less how comercial Christmas has become for some because it hasn't become that way for me.

• myway2007
    myway2007

Who cares if it's not the correct time of year, or the right date?? It gives you something to look forward to that makes you pause and think of good things. To enjoy time with friends and family, a great excuse to reach out and touch people you know or do something for people you don't know out of real kindness. Light the lights, wrap the gifts, watch Hallmark channel on cable, and for a moment believe in all the wonder that christmas is and should be.

• xchange
    xchange

It's a great time for people to be fake friendly to one another for awhile. I like it!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Fake it til you make it.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

i am doing it for the first time ever i think because i can. i did not go wild once iknew TTATT. i guess i realized how the witnesses pick and choose what is pagan and can be done. wedding rings and their pagan origins and the glorifying anniversary parties made me realize they could celebrate christmas if they wanted and be no less culpable than they are now. i love having the freedom to choose now. my bf is atheist but celebrates for the family togetherness. just about everything has a pagan origin of some sort.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Data-Dog:

I think Christmas is more about getting together with family and enjoying their company. As far as whether it is historically accurate, that doesn't bother me so much. I don't really think that part bothered the religion either deep down. They say it's "unchristian, pagan". Well, money is pagan too but they aren't shrinking from that!

As far as I was concerned, the religion's real issue was that you were associating with non-JW family or friends and they wanted to cut you off from all non-JW association. I guess it was because they are afraid you will get used to the feeling of unconditional love and friendship you get from non-JW family and friends and so might wake up and leave the JW religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit