Celebrating Christmas?????

by DATA-DOG 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Hello all,

I am just curious, and NOT JUDGING. If you are a Christian and you KNOW that December 25th is not Jesus' birthday, and may have pagan roots, then why celebrate it? I was raised a dub as most of you know, and have learned the TTATT so I KNOW how wrong they are about a lot. Even if I left I don't think I would ever celebrate holidays. Is it a family thing? Do you feel Jesus does not care either way? Did you NOT celebrate and then start celebrating? Just curious...

NOT JUDGING!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!

• james_woods
    james_woods

How do we know that Dec. 25th was not Jesus birthday? It is not exactly like they recorded it at the courthouse and he had a birth certificate...

If we don't know which day (and we obviously don't) then Dec. 25th is as good a day as any, right?

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Stupid holiday.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Who cares what day it is? This reminds me of the cross or stake debate. Who cares?

Most cultures have winter festivals. I want a festival.

If you believe in the Trinity, the Incarnation and birth become much more important.

• james_woods
    james_woods

But a fun holiday - almost as much fun as Halloween.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Stupid holiday.

• mrsjones5
  • Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

It's a cultural thing. As for pagan roots - so what? JWs arbitrarily allow some (wedding rings, pinatas) and chuck a fit over others.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Dude I have no idea why anyone celebrates this mess. But whatever, if it floats your boat. I find alot of EX-JW's go out and celebrate everything from Christmas to Fathers day to pencil lead appreciation day simply because they felt they couldn't before.

Alot of people who leave the "truth" also seem to start runnign around packing every sort of bad behavior possible into the shortest amount of time. I don't know whats up with that. of course, these are also the people who probably still believe its the truth but just want to do their own thizzle.

Human behavior.......who can figure.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I took my3 year old son trick-or-treating this year for the first time. He loved it. I/we probably wont celebrate Christmas this year but I will be celebrating his birthday which is 2 weeks before Christmas. I will let him and my daughter- when shes old enough to talk- dictate weather or not we celebrate Christmas. I don’t believe in god or Jesus as anything but a historical figure anymore but I love the season and the lights and gifts. My wife is not thrilled with me celebrating anything with them but she doesn’t protest too much. She asked me “Don’t you think it’s hypocritical to celebrate Christmas if you don’t believe in Jesus?” I told her “No. I think that if I/we decide to celebrate it with the kids, it will be for the fun and gifts. I don’t care about the origins." My son loved halloween and I think he will love Christmas and all that comes with it, I'm just not prepared to do it this year.

Funny thing is that when she found out I bought a bunch of gifts for his upcoming birthday she said to me “Your going to be the “fun” parent who celebrates things and gives gifts.” About 2 weeks ago she bought him a nice toy he’s going to love and will be wrapping it to give to him after a dentist appointment about a week before his birthday. Maybe I can slowly turn her to TTATT. One day at a time...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit