by cantleave 97 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

AA= Aggressive Atheism, or.........

AA= Another Asshole.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    AA= Another Asshole.

Everbody's got one. But no one can see their own.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

So when fundies are called aggressive, militant, proselytizing and angry, is it the majority simply trying to silence the minority?

Good point---but nobody has EVER shut them up! Yet when I use such terms with them, it is meant to dismiss them, which is what a religious person is doing when an atheist speaks. It is a more effective tactic when those saying it have power or a majority. The angry black man. The slut that argued for birth control. The militant feminist.

Yeah, it's all in the same family. But I have never tried to prevent a person from practicing their religion. If I were militant, that's exactly what I would do. However others have tried to legislate their morality, or deny equal rights, or deprive children of a good science education.

• Sauerkraut
    Sauerkraut

Aggression is defensive? I didn't watch any further when he said that. Thinking that is silly. It's also tiresome that all people who are religious are considered to be inable to take criticism, it's just not true. I'm religious but am very critical of religion as in institutions myself. And I don't mind if others who are Atheists dish out. Pat Condell takes himself far too seriously, as too many people do. That's the root of the problem, it's not whether you believe in God or not, it's taking yourself and whatever you believe in too seriously.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

That's the root of the problem, it's not whether you believe in God or not, it's taking yourself and whatever you believe in too seriously.

Interesting. And yet, if secular people didn't take it seriously, creationism would be taught alongside evolution. That IS serious. The UN is considering an anti-blashphemy law. THAT's serious. Perhaps you as an individual would not be a problem, but there are powerful religious groups that take themselves very seriously---serious enough to shoot a little girl in the face for going to school---serious enough to shoot abortion doctors and blow up clinics---serious enough to keep fighting to keep our children ignornant. If that doesn't deserve serious consideration, then I don't know what does.

Some things matter more to some people than others---I would not dismiss those efforts as taking ourselves too seriously. But you can.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Pat Condell takes himself far too seriously, as too many people do. That's the root of the problem, it's not whether you believe in God or not, it's taking yourself and whatever you believe in too seriously.

Exactly. Maybe there needs to be something like a religious/atheists "Prime Directive" <as in Star Trek> to first of all not try to contaminate other cultures with your bullshit.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Outlaw evangelism.

S

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Exactly. Maybe there needs to be something like a religious/atheists "Prime Directive" <as in Star Trek> to first of all not try to contaminate other cultures with your bullshit.

Hmmm? Contaminate? Should the west 'contaminate' the middle east with our bullshit---like treating women as equals and such? Not executing homosexuals? Not putting atheists into prison? Just wondering.

• Sauerkraut
    Sauerkraut

If I don't take my beliefs too serious I will be more inclined to respect your beliefs and views. And I will be open to question mine and listen if you question mine. It's easier to give others the benefit of the doubt that way. With a mentality like that fewer people would even think about shooting others or worry about anti-blasphemy laws.

Where did I say that things don't matter or that anyone should dismiss things? You seem to be reading more into my words than necessary.

Outlaw evangelism.

You have my full support!

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Yes, Sauer, which is why I said that you would not exactly be a problem in this scenario. However I pointed out that many non-atheists take themselves VERY seriously, and to meet that with a group that does not take themselves seriously would be tragic. As long as others with power are serious about this, then we have to be serious too. It's not enough to say what you think would make this a better world. We must accept the world as it is. This IS serious and SHOULD be taken seriously. They do. We must. You have said we take things too seriously, as though it is not a worthy and necessary venture. That's where I came up with the thought that it is dismissive. If we didn't take ourselves seriously, at least as serious as the other camp, then homosexuals would be in prison and women would be barefoot and pregnant. I give you many countries in the Middle East as support for that statement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit