Pat Condell on Aggressive Atheism

by cantleave 97 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Science is a method not a body of knowledge.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Rather be in Hades, that is because Organic Chemsitry is a falsehood, the real science is Inorganic Chemistry. Let us pray to the S P and D orbitals.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

A misconception of what science is, does not change what it actually is.

Agreed. My word useage was probably poor. I meant a person's view of science or more accurately what scientists are saying. A person CAN give as much reverence to what scientists are saying as a religious person can give to what a church is saying. No need to know the hows and whys. Just the "whats".

I've seen as much on this site. A statement is made about what is true in science. But there is no knowledge behind the hows and whys. And there are many interpretations regarding the scientific data that is presented. A different scientist will interpret the data in different ways. So depending on who you give more credence to, your view will be shaped by THEM. It runs very much the same in religion.

• cantleave
    cantleave

A person CAN give as much reverence to what scientists are saying as a religious person can give to what a church is saying.

This has not been my experience at all. I have worked with some great scientists, most of whom would find reverance embarrassing and distasteful. The most powerful tool in science is peer review, trust me, this process is brutal and keeps individual scientist well and truly in their place.

If there is any reverance it is due to the fact that science has demonstrably made people's lives better. That can not be said for religion.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Pat Condell’s offerings are always of great interest to me. Science has been of great benefit to mankind and cannot be compared to religion. It’s easy to confuse religion with culture? An examination of Muslim culture and its religious influence leaves us asking if religion is of benefit to mankind. An examination of Christian culture and its religious influence might bring us to a different conclusion.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Actually, it is both - and nothing without both.

Excellent thread, BTW...

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "... An examination of Muslim culture and its religious influence leaves us asking if religion is of benefit to mankind. An examination of Christian culture and its religious influence might bring us to a different conclusion." Gladiator, page #5

Not if one views the total effects of Christianity in historical context.

Christianity enslaved Europe and enforced a "Dark Age" upon it for at least a thousand years. Christianity caused most of the scientific knowledge of the Greeks and Romans to be lost to Europe during that time, and it was the MUSLIMS who kept the "pagan" scientific knowledge of the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians and to a certain extent, other ancient civilizations alive.

It wasn't until Europe INVADED the Near East on a fanatical religious pretext, that the Europeans realized how much more advanced the Muslims were...

And it was ONLY then, that the Christians started on the long road to 'catch up' with all the scientific knowledge they'd been denied by the Christian church.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I LOVE FICTIONAL ALTERNATIVE HISTORIES.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit