WT Elders school: The WTS has progressed from just plain stupid to dangerously stupid

by sir82 111 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82
    EVERY situation does not call for professional help

So what makes you think that elders are in a postion to determine which situations call for professional help, and which do not?

What specific training have the elders received to help them make that determination?

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Obviously the elders can use their discernment and recommend professional help

Ther is nothing OBVIOUS in the elder arrangement. It may be said that elders can use their discretion to recommend professional help (although now that I type that, I'm not sure that it HAS been said). But they do not. They follow the book. Everything has a rule. If they wanted elders to recommend professional help to those that come to them with suicidal issues, it would have been in the insructions given.

Ethos, why is the rate of suicide higher with JWs than in almost any other group? Maybe because of the internal resolution of ALL matters. Child molestation? Don't get the WORLD involved. Keep it within Jehovah's organization. Suicide? Give scriptural counsel and keep it within Jehovah's organization.

I'd like to remark on what Wing Commander said. He said that CHRISTENDOM actually helps others to get professional help. The church that I serve at does that very thing. We have a fund that is used to financially support those that encounter rough times. Whether that be help with bills, food, or medical help. They can be assured that the church will fully pay for help. Can Jehovah's TRUE organization say the same? Of course not.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    So what makes you think that elders are in a postion to determine which situations call for professional help, and which do not?
    What specific training have the elders received to help them make that determination?

Yes, I can see them standing around a week later after she puts her head in the oven saying - well, I really thought she was much better...she DID give us some nice cookies...

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Ethos, does the elders book say that they can send someone to a professional? Oh wait...you're not allowed to look at that book. I wonder why?

• featherimiss
    featherimiss

WingCommander most Churches have a educated councelor on staff at the church.

No disrespect to anyone who is currently an elder. I do not mind the scriptural counsel, but it definitely should follow with Sister Cookies, what resources do you have for professional help. You may need more support that we can't handle.

• Ethos
    Ethos

Not for Christ's brothers. "You received free, give free." Except in Christendom where there's no way one paid minister can shepherd the whole church and there's nothing even close to training for handling sensitive situations like this. Sure, criticize JWs, you have that right as we are wrong about things, but this misleading, positive contrast with Christendom that is being regurgitated, is glossing over what is an even grander problem affecting BILLIONS of more people. A want of actual shepherding in the churches.

Is a typical church with one pastor being shepherded as they scripturally should be?

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Thanks Sir 82, for reminding me how glad I am to not attend those meetings and listen to that moronic reasoning.

Ya...that worked great on Job...he felt better that day..and made cookies for his A#!# friends.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Except in Christendom where there's no way one paid minister can shepherd the whole church and there's nothing even close to training for handling sensitive situations like this.

I'm sorry, but Ethos, you've never gone to church have you? This has not been my experience at all. Most churches do NOT have a single pastor, they have a large group to help the pastoring of others. There is usually a lead pastor, associate pastor, worship pastor, childrens pastor, students pastor, and an elder and deacon body that helps assist those in need. Many churches staff the church with trained professionals (including licensed therapists or physicians), and are willing to pay for outside help when the need arrises. Your idea that a church has a single pastor that is responsible for the whole group is false. Maybe you've watched too many movies about small town churches? There may be SOME churches like that, but definitely not the majority. Plus a single trained pastor is better than 100 untrained janitor elders.

It's funny how the WT concept of outside churches is a complete fabrication. Many times those that came from a church to the WT came from a cult like organization also. So they don't know the difference.

Again, the WT will not help financially with someone who needs professional medical help. There is not a fund set up to help those in need. ALL funds are to go directly to the WTS. Why is that Ethos?

You condemn other churches for their help, when the WT does VERY LITTLE to help the average rank and file JW in need. Perhaps another in the congregation will help financially, but this is not approved by the WT. There is no fund to help those in need financially or medically. Yet you still like to condemn "Christendom" for their help of the hungry, sick, and poor.

Build a hospital, food bank, homeless shelter, or SOMETHING, and then you can go around judging other churches that DO help in a physical way.

• sir82
    sir82
    Except in Christendom where there's no way one paid minister can shepherd the whole church and there's nothing even close to training for handling sensitive situations like this.

One more reply and I stop feeding the troll.....

How do you know that churches have "one paid minister" to care for the needs of their members? How do you know they have "no training for sensitive situations"?

Please specifically list all the churches you have belonged to or studied, and outline the shepherding arrangements and counseling training that they include.

Without such information, it seems you are merely spouting made-up stories off the top of your head.

• Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit