Were you afraid of "apostates"?

by everchangingworld 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Spot on LWT, and I think the average JW makes that judgement call in a split second, without realising they have done it, as they scurry away from Apostasy in any form, their subconscious has said "You cannot consider this stuff, if you do and you lose your faith, you will lose your......"

This shows how effective the mind-control of the WT is, and explains how the physical control works, the cost of no longer believing may be very high.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

How's this for a trip dpwn memory lane. I was a school-boy at the time:

Today we were all off to the 1963 International Assembly at Twickenham Stadium. It was to last an historic eight full days and involve sitting listening to many lectures. Some of the Watchtower Society’s top speakers would be there and with so many thousands gathered, there would be a lot of God’s Holy Spirit around. Firstly though, we had to get to the stadium and it appeared there was a problem. I had heard of the ‘evil slave class’ through our study books. This was anyone collectively or singularly who had joined our church and then left. They were to be avoided at all cost, as it was believed they were possessed by demons and very dangerous. We were warned by attendants along the route that we should be on our guard, as a group of evil slaves were near the gates of the stadium.

Father instructed me and my brother John to keep as far away from them as possible and not to even look at them. He explained that Jehovah’s spirit would protect us, so we should make it to the safety of the stadium unharmed. I ran a quick prayer through my mind asking for protection for our family. As we neared the stadium, I felt a rush of excitement mingled with fear. I had never before seen a demonised and dangerous evil slave and started to imagine what one would look like. Would he have two heads and sharp claws? What colour would he be? We drew nearer and in the distance, I could just make out a small group gathered on one side of the pavement. John focused with all his attention, mouth agog. As we got nearer, we ignored the warning not to look at them. We could see them more clearly now. They were remarkably ordinary looking men and a couple of women; smartly dressed and wearing placards that I could read the writing on.

‘Watchtower is Snare & Racket.’

‘Watchtower Society Lies.’

As we walked past, I noticed that they were offering tracts just as we did. Probably noticing the look of awe on my face, a stout middle-aged evil slave smiled at me. My face was too frozen with fear and fascination to smile back at him. In any case, it would not please Jehovah. I looked back at the women hoping to see something evil happen but they looked totally normal. We were past the evil slaves and safely on our way into the stadium. Suddenly the excitement and danger was over.

‘They weren’t very scary!’ I exclaimed.

‘Your father told you not to look,’ mother snapped. ‘When are you going to learn to do as you are told?’

‘They looked so ordinary,’ I said, looking disappointed.

‘Of course they did. The Devil transforms himself into an angel of light to catch out disobedient children. Next time you might not have such a lucky escape!’

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

No not afraid. I knew some. Really nice folk. I just viewed them as having their own opinion....wrong...but their own opinion.

Funnily enough, I used to get 'apostate'(TM) tracts from those protesting and read them...but it all went over my head!

As an elder I thought 'apostate' thoughts were dangerous but could be argued away. How wrong I was.

Now I am an 'apostate'(TM) and I don't give a fig.

I realised soon that 'apostates'(TM) were not a real entity as an enemy. It's all WBT$ b0110cks designed to keep the R&F hiding behind the delusion.

I maintain the GB should go to the electric chair for crimes against humanity.

• cedars
    cedars

Wow, I've only just seen this bold statement on the following link...

https://sites.google.com/site/silence1492/Apostate-Websites

Any website that is not the official website of Jehovah's Witnesses should not be trusted even if they look to be OK. The Organisation of Jehovah's Witnesses ask brothers not to have their own websites so if they don't, they are actually rebelling against Jehovah.

It amazes me that someone with their own website could write all that, and not once make the connection that they themselves have their own JW-related website and are therefore disobeying the very rules they attention to.

Crazy stuff! There are some really stupid people out there.

Cedars

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Ah Twickers 1963, had my first proper teenage kiss up in the "Stands" late one evening, with J "Hotlips" S, lovely girl !

Cedars, is that sentence even English ? = "if they don't not " have a web site.

I guess this one is sanctined by the WT so they are immune to the counsel, after all, all it does is recycle the same old tired propaganda and mis-applies scriptures as the WT.

Nothing to see there.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Yes I was, in part because of the wild things I was told about them (Satanic hydrophobia, nudist parties, demonism, drugs) and in part because of the actions of the only apostates I ever encountered (seething with hatred and lots of ugly/illegal behavior).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit