Were you afraid of "apostates"?

by everchangingworld 35 Replies latest jw friends

• 20yearfader
    20yearfader

I was my mother and father use to say someone went apostate as if they had an incurable disease.That's why it's taken me 20 years after i left to inspect this website...i was so totally brainwashed.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I remember being invited in on a call one day and the guy showed us some apostate literature, I wanted to browse it to see what they were saying but the 'sister' whose call it was dragged me out and warned me how dangerous that would have been. Just think I might have 'got it' and broken free years sooner, idiot. I should have followed my gut instinct

Loz x

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

There was a house in our rural territory where we knew apostates lived, and whenever we were out in that territory someone would point and say, "That's the apostates' house" in much the same way you'd say, "That house is haunted."

Eight years into my journey to the dark side I'm surprised at how light and airy it is out here!

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

I'm still afraid of you all!

• happy@last
    happy@last

I used to think they were just fanatical, oh the irony.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

I'm sure this is how everyone on the other sides of the Screen names look:

You can't escape it when you leave Jehovah....

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Come back to Jehovah, where you can feel like this:

• cedars
    cedars

Fear probably isn't the right word. I was probably afraid of apostates only in the sense that I was afraid they might be right! Apart from that, they intrigued me more than anything, but I could never bring myself to read their websites or seek them out for information.

I remember harboring a strange feeling that I might one day turn against the organization, but this "hunch" was well and truly suppressed - in the darkest recesses of my mind. I remember watching the awful Star Wars "prequels" and strangely identifying with the character of Anakin Skywalker as he slowly turned to the "dark side". I could sort of imagine this somehow happening with me in the future, but I couldn't think how it would come about. Now, of course, I realise that if anything represented the "dark side" in the whole equation it was the evil Watchtower empire... and I ended up joining the rebellion!

Cedars

• designs
    designs

Nutty would describe the JWs who went and joined Evangelical groups in Southern California. People with Greg Laurie's Harvest Crusade and Walter Martin's circle would picket the Conventions and in some cases dogged the Witnesses going door to door. There were a few clashes with the Picketers at the Long Beach Convention Center until they made the groups stand away from the JWs.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I felt bad for them. We had the truth and they turned against it.

At our quickbuild a van full of apostates showed up to protest. (Sid Lively for any Atlantic Canada peoples)

I was doing refreshments and was going to bring them some lemonade. I figured that would be what Jesus would do.

On the way down, an elder was walking up and proud of what I was doing I told him. The elder grabbed the tray from me and made me follow him back. He couldn't really fault my logic, but told me that they hoped that they would tire out and leave early, so not bother.

I felt bad getting turned away. It felt like the right thing to do. It was just another chip away in my faith that it was the one true religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit