Were you afraid of "apostates"?

by everchangingworld 35 Replies latest jw friends

• everchangingworld
    everchangingworld

I remember hearing rumblings of a few that had gone "apostate" and feeling absolute dread of the dark world they had stepped into. I would re-double my studying efforts. To me, "apostates" had gone over into the "dark side". I felt like life as a JW was so good and pure. Never in a million years would I have imagined what it actually wa like on the "other" side!

I was actually happy my entire life as a JW. Sure, there were some challenges, but I lucked out with having loving JW parents and friends. Only there came a point when I could no longer ignore the hypocrisy and lack of logic of the teachings. Then, I became extremely unhappy, and I finally had to face my doubts and do some honest research despite fear of what I knew I might find.

A year later on the "dark" side, it's actually not too bad! It was brutal having to face the fact that my life had been built on a lie, and that all my sacrifices had been for nothing, lifelong friendships evaporated in a matter of day, but after mourning the losses, life goes on. There are some good days and some bad days, but, overall, I'm just as happy (and having more fun) as a non-jdub that I was as a die-hard, wide-eyed, 100% believing Jdub.

Cheers to you all.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Yup, then I became one.

• LV101
    LV101

not in the least afraid but was excited to spot them at the conventions --- only intrigued.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Im at about a year on the "dark side" too. The anxiety, fear and depression are all but gone. I can finally breathe.

I can relate to everything you wrote. Welcome to the board.

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

yeah, i was. now im just afrad of the stigma attached to it. weirdly its semi ok to get dfed for anything else.

i wonder how many are dfed for things unrelated to "apostasy" but actually just dont belive anymore.

• d
    d

No but I never thought I would eventually be one.

• metaspy
    metaspy

I don't know if I was afraid of apostates, per se. It was as you said "the dark side".

I think i was cautious, much like a jedi would be cautious of a sith.

They were "Dangerous" and I considered them skilled in the ways of the Watchtower.

Therefore, they were like my equal; only they no longer had "jehovah's approval".

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I was never afraid of apostates. I was very curious, even when I was still fooled. I would have accepted apostate literature. I had this sort of list that grew and grew in my head and heart of things about the org that made me go hmmmm. I think I thought that the "truth" would stand on its own against anything the literature might say.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I think I thought that the "truth" would stand on its own against anything the literature might say.

That's almost exactly what I told my sister the other day when she called. I'm not hiding the fact that I left the borg. My facebook is public and I post some non PC JW stuff from time to time. She and I haven't discussed my leaving- we live about 23 hours apart- and thats how she broke the ice.. "I noticed on facebook..." I told her in the begining I thought "If it's really the "truth" it will stand on it's own merit and hold up to any and all scrutiny." I told her it didn't and I left.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I told her in the begining I thought "If it's really the "truth" it will stand on it's own merit and hold up to any and all scrutiny." I told her it didn't and I left.

Yeah, great minds think alike. That's why they tell people to throw AL out or not to accept it or don't go on line or don't speak to apostates. They know it will not stand on it's own. Simple as that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit