Analysis of anti-607 BCE Rebuttals

by Ethos 529 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

After I read COJ's book I decided to see for myself.

So I spoke and corresponded with jewish scholars here at the Jewish research centre and with ANE experts, partucularly Babylonian and Assyrian experts ( and some Egyption ones too).

The consenus from people that couldn't care less about what the WTBTS thinks about anything is quite simple and direct and base don multiple lines of evidence, both biblical AND scientfic:

Jerusalem fell in 587/6 BCE.

• St George of England
  • Ethos
    Ethos

Its already been shown to be in error. But I will again point out the fallacies.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Observation:

Daniel one of the elite, was exiled to Babylon as part of the first devasation of Jerusalem. The other devasations or DESOLATIONS later were Jechoniah's group, and the destruction of his beloved city.

Daniel uniquely covers most of Babylon's reign. In chapter 9 of his own book, he ponders as Darious the Median comes to power. He wonder how long more would it take before Jehovah would give his attention to his people. He did not open the Hebrew scriptures and say, ok let me see what 2 Chronicles, (the Chronicles would NOT be written until a lot later, with the hind-sight that the temple was down for 70 years 587/586-517/516) has to say about this, but knows first hand that Jeremiah had sent a letter telling the first and second group of exiles to settle down, build houses, marry, and when the 70 years are up for Babylon he will restore them, they have his blessing, but he will curse Jedekiah and will destroy his temple.

This is the information that was available to Daniel, since he was now in exile almost 70 years (NOT 90), he prayed......

Shalom

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its already been shown to be in error. But I will again point out the fallacies.

You cant run away form the truth Ethos, unless your truly disingenuous and corrupt like the organization that your faithfully devoted to.

Can you refute ( any ) of the information that was presented in the AlanF posting ???

Have you ever wondered why there are no other Christian based religions that came up or produced the doctrine of 607/1914,

even the Adventists who the WTS./JWS was spawn from didn't do this.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Being that many individuals who are part of the JW organization today, have little knowledge of the organization's past doctrines.

For Ethos and others ...

Jehovah's Witnesses
    Main article: Watch Tower Society unfulfilled predictions

Charles Taze Russell, the first president of the Watch Tower Society, calculated 1874 as the year of Christ's Second Coming, and taught that Christ was invisibly present and ruling from the heavens since that year. [ 26 ] [ 27 ] [ 28 ] [ 29 ] Russell proclaimed Christ's invisible return in 1874, [ 30 ] the resurrection of the saints in 1875, [ 31 ] and predicted the end of the "harvest" and the Rapture of the saints to heaven for 1878, [ 32 ] and the final end of "the day of wrath" in 1914. [ 33 ] 1874 was considered the end of 6,000 years of human history and the beginning of judgment by Christ. [ 34 ] A 1917 Watch Tower Society publication predicted that in 1918, God would begin to destroy churches and millions of their members. [ 35 ]

J.F. Rutherford, who succeeded Russell as president of the Watch Tower Society, predicted that the Millennium would begin in 1925, and that biblical figures such as Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and David would be resurrected as "princes". The Watch Tower Society bought property and built a house, Beth Sarim, in California for their return. [ 36 ]

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Jeffro......Some research shows that A JEFFRO77 has an excellent website also.. http://jeffro77.wordpress.com/607-for-dummies/ .....but it may NOT be the same person.

It is.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Just saw an old 538BC thread by AlanF. Jeffro shamelessly copied and pasted it word for word. Just how his interpretations happen to be word for word out of Carl Jonnson's. book.

Now he's telling outright lies about me. But, by all means, provide a link. You will need to indicate what I've supposedly "copied and pasted" "word for word".

Segments I have copied from my own text, from my own blog do not count.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Pterist:

This is the information that was available to Daniel, since he was now in exile almost 70 years (NOT 90), he prayed

This conclusion is based on an inaccurate rendering of Jeremiah 29:10 that is not supported by the context.

There was never any mention of 70 years of exile. Daniel* realised from Jeremiah's writings that 70 years of Babylon's dominance had ended, and he knew that Jeremiah said God would then 'turn his attention' to the Jews going home. So Daniel then prayed to that effect, realising that in Darius' first year, it was now time to arrange for the Jews to go home.

*The historicity of Daniel is disputed, and the book is generally considered to have been completed in the 2nd century BCE. Regardless of authenticity, this does not discount that there may actually have been a Daniel on whom some of the stories were based, or that Daniel may have written parts of the book.

There is no reason to believe that Daniel thought, "I'd better start praying now because Babylon was just called to account, and I've been in Babylon for 80 years*, so the 70 years must end in two more years."

*Daniel was taken to Babylon as part of the tribute paid to Nebuchadnezzar in February 604BCE. However, in the JW chronology, he was taken in 619BCE (rather than 625/4), due to their baseless interpretation of 'kingship' as 'vassalage' at Daniel 1:1.

• Pterist
    Pterist

JEFFRO *** There was never any mention of 70 years of exile. Daniel****

.....I said below, 70 years for Babylon ....

but knows first hand that Jeremiah had sent a letter telling the first and second group of exiles to settle down, build houses, marry, and when the 70 years are up for Babylon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit