Now that the Storm is over in the Northeast,

by ldrnomo 21 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The farther west you get, the less serious the damage. From Syracuse west, it was mostly power outages and cable/Internet blackouts. I lost my power to blown transformers, and I had an Internet blackout for a couple of days, but no other damage (and I had plenty of light, thanks to abundant rechargeable batteries and chargers, and plenty of LED flashlights and lanterns).

However, now is the time to assess how you managed without electricity for the storm. Anywhere you find shortages (you only assumed a smaller number of batteries, or your flashlights were on the weak side), start loading up now beforeScumney Romney takes office. You are best equipped with a headlight, preferably one with several brightness levels. Lanterns work best for an area, while flashlights are good to carry at all times in case you are stuck in a big box store and the lights go out abruptly. You will need rechargeable batteries--the low self-discharge NiMH ones are best for emergencies while high capacity ones are best if we go to rolling blackouts on a regular basis.

How I know? Remember 1973? They blamed that energy crisis on good old fashioned running out of energy. It was a result of philo-Semite Nixon going to help Israel after they got their axxes kicked by Egypt on Yom Kippur (which was a retaliatory strike for Israel's attack in 1967). Nixon bailed out Israel, and Saudi Arabia got pxxxed and cut off our oil. Let Scumney Romney in, and we go to war against Iran, pxxxing off Saudi Arabia again. Scumney Romney is probably the most philo-Semitic candidate available, and the oil producers are more than willing to cut off our oil for it the way they did in 1973. Which, obviously causes energy crises. And with our current embargo on producing domestic oil, that will lead to a severe energy crisis that will dwarf 1973. Meaning, get ready for rolling blackouts. And when rolling blackouts become widespread, I think you are going to have a miserable time trying to get batteries, flashlights, lanterns, and chargers.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

My mother lives in Brick new jersey, she is currently staying with my husbands sister in another town and they have no power. She still doesn't know about the condition of her house. I was only able to speak with her for a few minutes she seemed in okay spirits. We live in virginia beach and everything is fine here we didn't even lose power.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Still no power at my house, but more and more getting turned up in the area. Promising.

Took my wife's car to work so she could go to the gas station to fill mine. She got in line at 6AM and waited 5 hours to fill up the car!

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

are there malls and stores near paramus and ridgewood, nj letting people charge their phones?

• d
    d

I goth through just fine some places in CT still have no power. A few trees fell on a few houses but my house was not one of them.ALso we had 4 days of no power which is okay, we survived. I just feel bad for the people of New York.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I have a warehouse in NJ with about 60 employees. It is just south of Newark, about 1 mile in from the ocean. The employees are just devasted. :-((( No power, cold, huge trees down, flooding. They, as well as everybody, have been in our thoughts every minute this week. Power came on today at the warehouse and many came to work even though their homes were without. No phones today but we had email. The warehouse manager said he was worried about his house; heard people from other neighborhoods were scoping out the houses in damaged neighborhoods.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

We are midtown east in Manhattan and never lost power, even for a minute. We had internet access the whole time. Very very lucky.

The restaurants are doing great business, we are in a popular area, and even more so given the limited options.

I predict this will be the begining of the economic boom that we have been waiting for. NYC will need to invest billions if not trillions to upgrade the infrastructure lost in the storm.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

44M - thinking the same thing myself

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Day 8 - still no power/heat/water. Got a generator yesterday but have to get someone to wire it up - The last thing I need is to burn my house down. Although that would be warm....

44 degrees in the house last night. Not good "sleeping weather"

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

We were well-prepared, and grateful the house is still standing.

Some of the stories coming in (as we are able to get more news day by day) are truly horrifying. Our hearts go out to those who lost family and homes, businesses, pets.

The storm is not really "over" for at least half a million of us yet. Day 11, no heat, power or internet access and no given timeframe for when we shall rejoin civilization.

The only reason this library is open is because it's on the same grid as healthcare and police/fire facilities. Otherwise it's been like Little House on the Prairie.

Today I see the media's finally addressing lies utility companies have been telling all along. Now it's all the Nor'easter's fault. Um, yeah, whatever. At one point they said 80% of my town was back up when they hadn't even started assessments yet. That was over a week ago.

All we can do is wait it out, and do what we can to support one another in the meantime.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit