Survey: Who here is an atheist? Who here still believes in God?

by Christ Alone 295 Replies latest jw friends

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Good question, Satanus. I guess you found a flaw in my question. Does a belief in a "source" or "energy" behind the universe fit in? Does this "source" have any intelligence? Or is it mindless?

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Somewhere between agnostic and atheist.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Christ Alone: May I ask you a question? I have discovered (in recent months) that many believers and unbelievers reject ther term "agnostic atheist" as being accurate and/or legitimate. Where do you stand on that?

• undercover
    undercover

apatheist

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

It's funny that you asked that LWT. When I come across that term, I usually have to stop for a second as I did on this thread when it came up. I guess I feel that an agnostic atheist is really an atheist that really understands the logic behind atheism. They are atheist in that they do not believe in the existance of a diety, but they are agnostic in that there is not a way to prove that a diety doesn't exist. I guess it would be the proving a negative idea. I can't prove that something does not exist.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

LWT: Would you count an agnostic atheist as an atheist? I would.

And undercover, while apatheist COULD be under "I don't care", I'd still count it as "atheist".

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I have no beliefs only clues to no beleif but I have absolutly no belief in belief which is what I believe, I believe but have know way of knowing for sure so that is why I strongly am suspicious of anything I might believe.

• Satanus
    Satanus

'Does this "source" have any intelligence? Or is it mindless?'

Hmm. Does semiconscious work?

S

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Christ Alone: The chart on the page below is one that I agree with. (But as I have stated, many believers and unbeliever totally reject these descriptions. Further, many agnostics see themselves as sitting on a fence, having not made a decision.)

http://www.atheistrev.com/2011/09/atheist-or-agnostic-i-both.html

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

One more thing, I also agree with this comment, which was under the chart in my lnk above:

This is a dumb chart and tries to make completely unneeded distinctions. Virtually all atheists would change their position given evidence of a god or something we call synonymous with god (.e. aliens that made earth). They would also agree that Jesus was really the son of god if these aliens or gods told them that this was true. We probably would still find them repugnant for all the same reasons we find God repugnant now. Atheists, agnostics and frankly many religious people live in a way as if god doesn't exist. So who cares what the minute difference is? Why the hell do we have all these other words that mean the same things also? (freethinker, humanists, brights, blah blah blah)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit