The Very Latest Candace Conti vs. The Watchtower News

by God_Delusion 38 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

That makes me sick. $17 million is small change to them. Sure they are having trouble getting the income they once did, and hence making cuts in order to keep cash flow positive, but they are not in "immediate irreparable harm and hardship" . They have massively downsized, freeing up considerable reserves of assets that are being sold, and would have no trouble coming up with that money. The hard part for the court will be knowing exactly what they do have, as there is such a complex network of corporations hiding the assets and cash.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I hope the Attorney for Candace presents the list we saw on another thread showing how much they have trousered recently in property sales, the judge will then rule "Use some of your Governing Body's Retirement Fund, sorry I mean cash from recent sales".

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

So Watchtower is really wanting to substitute property at Patterson as security for the bond instead of cash, LOL! If that is not granted (Plaintiff is opposed to that substitution, naturally!), then they want the bond to be reduced.

This is Watchtower's problem: The next available hearing dates for the appeal are in January. However, they have to cough up a premium on the appeal bond of over $86,000 by November 15. It looks as though the $86,000 premium in non-refundable. If they eventually win the appeal, they won't be able to recover that money. So they want their motion about altering the terms of the bond heard BEFORE they have to pay that premium or, they argue, they will "face immediate harm and hardship." <---

• Room 215
    Room 215

And how do they propose to demonstrate "immediate irreparable harm and hardship" to the court?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I guess they will submit papers detailing all that. I'm also curious to see how they're going to spin it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I would say this is typical lawyer manuevering. Even on the losing side of a suit, the lawyers go through these motions to pad their bill or at least look like they are doing something for their client. I wouldn't get started on rumors that WTS can't come up with a huge cash bond. They just don't want to.

• free @ last
    free @ last

Thanks for the update.

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

Just trying to create more work for Candace's attorny . Oh and be cheap!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

ANNOMALY: This is Watchtower's problem: The next available hearing dates for the appeal are in January. However, they have to cough up a premium on the appeal bond of over $86,000 by November 15. It looks as though the $86,000 premium in non-refundable. If they eventually win the appeal, they won't be able to recover that money. So they want their motion about altering the terms of the bond heard BEFORE they have to pay that premium. . .

I think AOM is right on target. They still believe they will win on appeal. If they win the appeal they are entitled to recover the cost of the bond from the plaintiff (Candice Conti). It's very unlikely that this plaintiff could re-pay the $86,000 bond premium (is that one time, or monthly?). Plaintiff Candice Conti could simply file bankrupcy against the WT claim for repayment. However, if WTS is allowed to use real estate (Patterson) as collateral for the bond, and if they do win on appeal, it will be someone else's problem to attempt to recover the bond costs.

Doc

• 00DAD
    00DAD

If they're NOT financially desperate, then how come stumping up less than $17 million in cash would cause them "immediate irreparable harm and hardship"

I'm guessing that the " immediate irreparable harm and hardship" plea is just a legal tactic. Seriously, that has got to be pocket change for an organization this large. They claim over 7 million faithful adherents worldwide.

They could easily write one of their contrived letters demanding (in the form of a request of course) a measly $3/publisher for some phony need and end up with $4 million left over for bonuses to the WT legal team.

It's just more bs brought to you by the WtBtS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit