The Very Latest Candace Conti vs. The Watchtower News

by God_Delusion 38 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Thanks so much for this update! I am trying VERY VERY HARD not to dance with an exuberant JOY at the impending ruination of my enemy...."Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles do not let your heart rejoice" Prov 24:17.....For the moment I am only allowing my toe to tap, LOL!

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Since they claim to be "spirit-directed," do you think the WTS lawyers linked hands and prayed over their decision? What will happen to their faith if the court rules that they have to pay the lady?

• processor
    processor

One more idea about this:

Maybe they want to avoid paying MONEY to avoid critical questions in field service. So, when a homeowner says: "You had to pay millions because of child abuse!", they can reply: "No, we did not! Where did you hear such? It is a lie, spread by evil apostates!"

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Just legal wrangling by Watchtower. But I love all the extra publicity it gives them. They do more negative publicity for themselves than ANYONE else.

• erbie
    erbie

Just the existence of this thread and the conversation we are having is proof enough for me. Never mind all the doctrinal errors, whether they win or lose they are shown to be what they are - a money loving cult.

I sincerely envy those of you who found it easy to turn your back on the cult and not look back. It has not been that way with me as I have been constantly weighing and evaluating things even until quite recently. My wife on the other hand left a few years after me but says she never looked back and I envy her also for that. Although I was the first to leave I do have a tentative, hesitant nature which makes it very difficult to form solid conclusions about things. I just knew that it was wrong and that I needed to get out for my own wellbeing. So now, at least my kids will never have to go through it!

In short, I know it may seem like a small thing, but I have always questioned whether I did the 'right' thing by alienating myself from the congregation but after first taking an interest in this thread a few days ago it would seem that the penny has just dropped for me. That may make me appear foolish or even stupid in the eyes of many but I guess we all take things at our own speed. I do hope that is the case.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I very much appreciate all of the hard work and research that goes in to finding this information which has helped all of us in one way or another. Even as a dub I never really got to see the inner workings of the Org in the way that many of you have. As a result, I was like a child with very little insight or understanding of the duplicity of the WTS.

So thanks to all of you who have set up this site and continue to provide us with accurate info on whats REALLY going on in WT land. Those poor active Witnesses just don't have a clue what really goes on do they.

To OUR future.......and long may it last!!!

• JHK
    JHK

This strategy can backfire. What if the judge wants to investigate the finances of the Watchtower to know if financially solvent?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

(Also posted this on DNCall's thread.)

Here's the latest.

10/26/12Motion Filed by The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc., a Corporation, The North

</form>

http://apps.alameda.courts.ca.gov/domainweb/service?ServiceName=DomainWebService&TemplateName=jsp/imgviewer.html&rofadt=10/26/12&Action=27990835

Summary

If the court does not grant the property substitution, the WTS want the bond to be reduced to compensatory damages only. This, the WTS argue, is to minimize the bond premiums which the Plaintiff would be liable for if they won the appeal. They also think that the punitive damages part is more susceptible to reversal.

The rest is kind of as I suspected:

The $86,000 premium on the bond is annual and not refundable after December 18. Obviously, if the appeal takes two years, they'll be paying at least twice that amount, ("estimated to be $170,000 to $200,000 over the life of this appeal") hence the desire to substitute property as security instead.

Patterson is currently worth over $162 million. The WTS argues that using Patterson as surety will benefit the Plaintiff because it is "more that adequate security for the prompt payment of the Amended Judgment" if she prevails on appeal, as well as relieving her of the liability of having to pay back the bond premiums if she doesn't. Despite the attractiveness of that, the Plaintiff declined to agree to the substitution.

If the court granted the substitution of Patterson, the WTS understands that there would be an order in place not to sell, transfer title or encumber the property involved.

I may have missed some other interesting details as I only quickly went through it.

</form>

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

In the interest of accuracy and honesty, do we really know how much money the WTBTS has? I don't want to get into a discussion with someone and say how much $ they have and be wrong. That would be ammo for the JW's.

• Calebs Airplane

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit