How often did you entertain the "Traveling Overseers", and did you regret it afterwards?

by ÁrbolesdeArabia 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

I found taking the traveling overseers out for a meal, to be a waste of time. Our literature regulary spoke of the upbuilding talk the local congregations received by entertaining our brothers. Now some of the modern COs look at their telecommunication devices, talk of things not related to our ministry or phone it in.

If you are a young one who desires to take the T.O. out for a meal, make sure you don't invite non stop talking brothers or sisters to your meal. It sucks paying for a meal for a person you don't even talk to or get a "thank you for your kindness". I had a sister join my group, all she did was talk of her abusive husband (he's not abusive, he's gentle!), while the others talked of getting old in this "wicked system that's on it's last heart-pump!"

Don't invite two TOs to a lunch with you, they will not speak with you and chat with each other about busy-stuff. You spend $100 on lunch to pay two, four, or six rude people, who pretended you did not exist until it was time to pay (they shove the ticket your way) and rush you back to the Hall. I feel bad for new dubs trying to make friends with TOs, it's a waste of time and money. You are better off to spend that money on your wife, husband, kids or Mom or Pappy. What's your favorite lunch-TO story?

• biblecheck
    biblecheck

Instead of a meal, next time offer to take your TO out for booze and hookers - I absolutely guarantee you will get A LOT of one-on-one attention from him then!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Is this an American thing to take COs out to a restaurant for a meal?

In AUstralia we fed them at home. Female JWs would go out of their way to make a 3 course meal for the CO - and that was for lunch!

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Broken Promises

In the Western Hemishpere, ass-kissing elders figured out that taking the traveling overseer to dinner at a fine dining establishment is a sure way to get an assembly part at the next CA or DC (and gain rock-star status)... maybe that hasn't caught on yet in Aussie land...

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

My family did once, The CO was an East German bro and had some realy interesting stories to tell about life in EG, from what I remember Guntha was a great guy, seemed to have a great way with the young ones.

Later on during the 80s I was living with an Aunt & Uncle (elder) in Auckland, and once they had a CO for lunch after the sunday meeting, the CO was a maori, I had never realised before how racist my family was, my family normally got on with most plp (I thought) now I saw how uncomfortable they were having a maori in their house, the CO tried really hard to befriend them, shit it was embarrassing.

• cantleave
    cantleave

We had them stay with us regularly when we were kids. Some were great others were self centered and demanding.

Just before I exited I had one for lunch who instantly criticised the size of my TV!

• designs
    designs

Some were very nice and polite and others demanding. The Garrett's were a very kind couple, the wife openly cried when she her of my mother's passing. She had helped her find peace with the idea that she would not live to see the 'New System' as the cancer took its course.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Growing up we entertained them everytime they came- Either for lunch or dinner. I got to see how these "servants" really took advantage of the world--travelling, fine dining, designer clothing. Heck they lived better than most the witnesses in the congregation.

I wouldn't say I regretted it at the time. But these were occasions for a reality check for me. I got to see first hand the hipocracy and how out of touch these people really are.

• elderelite
    elderelite

I did and still do from time to time... I agree about not taking two of them together (like a do and a co), they do tend to talk shop a LOT. I have found though that if you get just the co and get him to freakin relax for 30 seconds hes usually an ok guy. I like pulling them out of the cult persona for a few min and seeing the real person (or as close to it as u can get)... Every dubbie has a real person waiting to be brought out of them. I suppose if you goal was to go to lunch and get attention from him it would be easy to be disapointed, but if you view as "lunch with a buissness acociate" its usually fine. Nothing to get excited about and if the food was good it all worked out.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    In the Western Hemishpere, ass-kissing elders figured out that taking the traveling overseer to dinner at a fine dining establishment is a sure way to get an assembly part at the next CA or DC (and gain rock-star status)... maybe that hasn't caught on yet in Aussie land...

Yeah you're right... after all electricity only came in last year and they say computers will be the next big thing in 2014!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit