How often did you entertain the "Traveling Overseers", and did you regret it afterwards?

by ÁrbolesdeArabia 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

I personally never had a bad experience having a CO and his wife over. Once I had the DO and his wife over at the same time (Yes the DO checks up on the CO from time to time). Maybe I just lucked out. I don't remember any picky ones.

I never brought out the big guns because it was lunch. Kept it simple.

• Most Noble
    Most Noble

I use to entertain the C.O and his wife to get program parts at the convention, and the strategy has been very effective.

• linuxbob
    linuxbob

For some strange reason all the ones I met had special diets.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Never long enough to rise through the ranks apparently.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

One time we took a CO and his wife to dinner. I looked at the bill afterwards and I didn't offer to pay for theirs. What happened to living simple and frugal by the people who are to be example?

• Bye bye birdie
    Bye bye birdie

After the annual pioneer meeting a pioneer couple from my hall that never usually gave me the time of day invited me out with the DO and the CO our PO also came.

I was young and a new mom but happy to be included. They (The Big shots)chose a very expensive restaurant and all added wine to the bill. They never even talked to me the entire time except when the DO heard I was a mom. He looked at me and just asked, "How old are you?" In an accusing tone. Well I was 24 but I did look teenage ish. Still he didn't mind that I was paying for his drinks before that. After I answered him he did not say a word back but went on talking to the more important people.

After dinner there were no thanks yous of any kind. Not even a nice to meet you. They just left us with the bill. this was after a day of hearing talks on keeping your life simple and how materialism was the enemy of pioneers.

go figure.

• Bye bye birdie
    Bye bye birdie

After the annual pioneer meeting a pioneer couple from my hall that never usually gave me the time of day invited me out with the DO and the CO our PO also came.

I was young and a new mom but happy to be included. They (The Big shots)chose a very expensive restaurant and all added wine to the bill. They never even talked to me the entire time except when the DO heard I was a mom. He looked at me and just asked, "How old are you?" In an accusing tone. Well I was 24 but I did look teenage ish. Still he didn't mind that I was paying for his drinks before that. After I answered him he did not say a word back but went on talking to the more important people.

After dinner there were no thanks yous of any kind. Not even a nice to meet you. They just left us with the bill. this was after a day of hearing talks on keeping your life simple and how materialism was the enemy of pioneers.

go figure.

• XstuckX
    XstuckX

Our CO and his wife are "gluten free". I asked, so they have celiac disease? No, they just feel they are healthier that way. Which is fine and well. However when I was asked to feed them I declined because I'm not gluten free and I'm not going to burden my wife to try and cook some meal that is gluten free just because they think they're healthier that way.

There is an elder in our hall who goes out of his way to shove his head as far up their rear end as he possible can. He always provides hospitality for them. He hires the poor people in the cong to come and clean his house from top to bottom every 6 months because his wife is too lazy. I showed up at their house one evening when the CO was there with his wife. There was music playing and the CO and his wife were slow dancing in the living room with the elder and his wife. I thought it was fairly odd.

• nugget
    nugget

It was always a relative few people who were allowed to entertain the CO when he stayed. We did lunch once and I cooked and invited a few over. As I remember it was a pleasant lunch with the CO not wanting to get involved in congregation politics nothing too heavy.

I did find going out with JWs generally was a nightmare, especially when it came to settling the bill. Many did not want to pay for service and on occasions would leave without having paid appropriately. We were once left to pay the balance of £50 because half the party had left without clearing their bill completely and the other half had people who refused to leave a tip even though the service had been wonderful. What was annoying was that we probably were the least well off people there and yet the others had no embarrassment leaving us to pick up the bill.

• LogCon
    LogCon

ArbolesdeArabia

Too bad you didn't have the gumption to tell the waiter, " Separate bills please."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit