How often did you entertain the "Traveling Overseers", and did you regret it afterwards?

by ÁrbolesdeArabia 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I did and still do from time to time... I agree about not taking two of them together (like a do and a co), they do tend to talk shop a LOT. I have found though that if you get just the co and get him to freakin relax for 30 seconds hes usually an ok guy. I like pulling them out of the cult persona for a few min and seeing the real person (or as close to it as u can get)... Every dubbie has a real person waiting to be brought out of them. I suppose if you goal was to go to lunch and get attention from him it would be easy to be disapointed, but if you view as "lunch with a buissness acociate" its usually fine. Nothing to get excited about and if the food was good it all worked out.

EE, wouldn't you agree all that really only works if the CO/DO has come to the conclusion that you and wifey are an OK couple to "let their hair down". Usually Sundays after the meeting is reserved for this group. You have to be "privledged" enough in the "clergy class" that they don't feel like they have to be on their exemplary behavior in front of you. They have to be able to relax. By the 3rd or 4th time through the circuit/district they've come to know Who's Who.

I remember the DOs wife piping up to order the first drink with our small group at dinner and she didn't care what "you tea-totalers" were having but she wanted a double Stoli martini. The CO & DO have to already have developed a "good" relationship to take them together. For us, the only time this happened is when the one insisted we invite the other along. Such a recommendation meant that they knew you were in the crowd that was "OK" to relax and de-stress in your company. With the jobs they had, I can see why they would have the need. Fact is, I don't see anything wrong with it. They were just "normal" people. It was refreshing to see them that way. They did all seem to all have a fondness for all the top shelf liquors.

All of this goes back at least 10 years or more. I don't think the new boy COs would be any fun at all. They all seem like Company Men and scared shitless that they could do something to lose the cushy job.

• Jen1
    Jen1

The last three co in our cong. have been in their 40s. All very fat, love food, but trying to diet, so they say. They have also been drawn towards the elders who have money. Big homes material thing. At the meeting on Sunday they have a load of gifts from the rich in the congregation and the poor who want to get on, they then all go on field service after the meeting, Sunday, for a short time, then the rich take them out to the pub for lunch. The poor get excluded. The rich are the married elders and wives and children. Single pioneers do not get included. Though new brother with good job and big mouth does get included.

Manage to miss our last co visit.

As a child/teenager parents used to have them to vist. One co nearly had a heart attack when I turned up at my home in jeans and sweatshirt, he said why are you dressed like that. My mum said oh its her work day, half hour lunch break. Its work clothes. Then I got a talking to about my clothes and the fact I was working all day, and could I not take have been out in service! Mum then got a talking to because she had not been in service but stayed home to cook a roast beef dinner, it was winter at the time.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

i can't think of anything worse than dinner with overseers and paying for the 'privelage'. I would have handed over a bucket and squeegy and said "teach a man to clean windows..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit