Witness Speak: the worst of collection

by grumblecakes 139 Replies latest jw friends

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Oh YES Grumblecake - "MENTAL REGULATING"!!!
    CULT WARNING!

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

i feel like for some reason a good deal of witness vocab is stuck in the 40' & 50's. as i read the posts on this i see people mentioning terms like "heavy petting" and i realize "yeah, when was the last time you heard a non jw say something like that? while watching a cautionary PSA from 1952?

also, "pioneers" has always bothered me...because it takes some real streaching to make it not a weird term for "people who go door to door a lot", when in common usage it means "1. people who have settled a new area or 2. opened up new areas of reseach and or development".

I hate these words:

THE TRUTH

THE FRIENDS

CHRISTENDOM

and so many more....

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Cautioning us to be aware of NOT STUMBLING others. Barf, heave. I have taken the liberty of adding a few more possibilities to the list.

BUMBLING (as the GB are bumbling idiots)

FUMBLING (as in fumbling around in the dark doing stuff you shouldn't, wink, wink)

GRUMBLING (not showing appreciation for noo lite)

HUMBLING (when you get re-adjusted in the back room)

MUMBLING (akin to grumbling, when you are caught muttering under your breath about how assinine the material presented was)

TUMBLING ( when they boot you out and you go head over heels with joy at finally being free of all the insanity of JW life)

Leslie

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

How many times did I use these phrases during talks? I feel vomit coming... How happifying...

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

mc Freeze, here take my wax coated bag.

• Etude
    Etude

I think that the single most influential person (at least initially) for the origin of these unique terms and phrases was (drum roll please) Fred Franz. Not only are many of the terms right out of his era, but they convey the sort of erudite vacuum he lived in. He would say things like "It would well behoove us..." or "it would not be out of place to..." or "we could well conclude then..." in order for us to be persuaded to agree. After a while, his style just became rampant in the literature.

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

ohhh, that makes sense.

Damn that zombie ghost of fred franz!!!!

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

In harmony with Bro So-and-So's comment

Continuing with Sis So-and-So's thought

Eclesiasticks

Gift of Singleness

Serve your Creator in your youth

Friends with the world

Head(ing) In - when you were done with service or not going out after the meeting on Sunday

The Memorial

Local needs - This should have been called "How long will it take you to figure out who we are talking about"

Needs of the circuit - many JWs looked forward to a good spiritual spanking

• tiki
    tiki

the REAL life - because this one is unreal, of course......

stack of bones and a hank of hair - courtesy of the misogynist judge

if you're part of the world, the world is fond of what is its own - so.....if a worldy person likes you, that means that you are part of the world, hence you are bbbaaadddd...so you better become hateful to that person so they won't like you anymore, then the world will not be fond of you and you may even be persecuted which is the "goal to strive for"

run the fine race

fight the fine fight

armageddon is soooooooooooooooooooooooo near right around the corner

the final part of the last days....or minutes

the dying system

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit