In Memory of Sheeba

by ziddina 62 Replies latest social family

• ziddina
    ziddina

Thanks, Rebel8!

What was REALLY funny, was when she herded my hamsters!!

That's quite a little story in itself...

I adopted a female hamster [free from Petco when they were still 'giving' away animals that needed homes], who turned out to be pregnant. She had 3 babies...

I showed one of the babies to Sheeba, watching her like a hawk in case she tried to make a snack out of the tiny furry tidbit.

Here's the funny part...

The little hamster looked at her big doggie nose, carefully approached it, and LICKED Sheeba's nose!

Sheeba looked at the little baby hamster and fell in love with it!

After that, if ANY of my hamsters got out, Sheeba would protect it from the cats until I could come down and rescue it. The hamster would be sopping wet from doggie slobber, but - at least it would be alive.

It seems that Sheeba's method of protection was to pick up the hamster and put it behind the TV set, over and over again, until I woke up and rescued the critter...

• flipper
    flipper

ZIDDINA- Just saw this been working out of town a few days, my wife and I send our deepest condolences on the loss of your dear Sheeba. Hang in there my dear friend, we lost our Yancy in June. I know it's incredibly tough. Please feel our love . Sincerely, Mr. & Mrs. Flipper

• ziddina
    ziddina

Thank you, Flipper...

Oddly enough, I'm getting over her loss rather quickly.

The knowledge that I did just about everything I could, to make sure that she had a good life, the fact that she was around 16 if not at 16 years when she died, the knowledge that she was deeply loved - and knew it, most of the time [except when she was being a brat!]....

Plus all the kind words of all of you....

Have helped me get past this.

Plus, as I've told so many other people, now there's room in my life to rescue another doggie. Problem is, it isn't quite 'time' yet. Hubby wants me to wait until after we've completely re-done the back yard [this coming spring] before I think about getting another dog.

However, as I stated earlier, if I see some poor, scruffy stray on the street, I'll have me another dog - at least, until I can find a decent home for it, if said scruffy stray doesn't work out.

But they usually do. After all, Sheeba was a scruffy little mutt when we got HER, and look at how that worked out!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit