That bus driver in Cleveland should get an award. Beautifully executed uppercut.

by Theocratic Sedition 46 Replies latest jw friends

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Hitting her was uncalled for. It was excessive force. You can see from the video that there were about six seconds between her touching him and the uppercut. It was pre-meditated on his part. Self defense would have been her actually hurting him and a simultaneous defense/attack on his part. I would throw the book at this guy. Six seconds is an eternity when making decisions in a fight, he decided to hit her because he wanted to, not because he had to. He could have detained her easily enough in my opinion. Of course it is harder to neutralize someone without hurting them than most people think, it's not like on tv. He may not have any training to deal with an attack. Even so, he was in no real danger and should have let the police handle it. As a side point his technique is sloppy, and my grandma could have dodged that weak uppercut, so I can't really respect the bus driver.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Exactly Billy. She wouldn't have been crying foul if she'd gotten over on the bus driver. She took a risk and lost. I despise young people who disrespect their elders. If her parents had trained her better, this wouldn't have happened.

DATADOG - I think the reason for the delay was that he had to stop the bus first. I think he was in danger with her attacking him while he was driving. And so was everyone else.

There have been quite a few cases lately of older people standing up to young punks. I say good for them.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Please, can anyone update us on what happened with charges? what does the court say or police reports?

scott77

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

WOW. she is gonna get PAID! this will be a day neither forget.

• cult classic
    cult classic

My copy/paste isn't working Scott. Go to Cleveland.com, in search field "bus driver uppercut" pull up story. You can see some of the police report there around pages 6+.

Oh well off to bed. battling one of those fall colds and getting tired finally.

I bet they settle out of court. Not too many on her side according to the comments.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm with NC on this one. Totally uncalled for. And if you're ever in Seattle don't ride the #3 or #4, they both run up 1st Hill from downtown. The jail's at one end and a rehab center at the other. You can guess what the passenger mix looks like. Saw two men (both of whom looked like they were being egged on by their invisible friends) get in a shouting match one time. The driver stopped the bus and tossed both of them off. I was sitting near the front, and as he sat back down he shook his head and said "I can tell I'm driving the Four again."

On the unprofessional side one time I saw a driver say some seriously unkind things to a woman in a wheel chair who was having trouble with the tie downs. I got the coach number and called in a complaint as soon as I got to the office. I hope he spent a month of Saturday's in sensitivity training.

• Scott77
  • NewChapter
    NewChapter

I rode the bus home on St. Patricks day after the parade downtown (LAST time I make that mistake). Standing room only, and it smelled like a bar, with a LOT of very drunk people on board. Mostly white----and not the type that were--------open minded. Soooooo

A black man in the front got into a bit of an exchange with a very old man (who was white), and then went at the bus driver. I don't know what his deal was, he didn't strike me as the type that would take on a bus of drunk Patty Day celebrants----but he brought race into it. f--------------k! WHY did he do that? Things started getting rowdy, and we were packed in. The old man who was part of the first exchange was sitting next to his very old wife (I'm figuring 80's) and epithets started flying. People began a bit of shoving, and I grabbed the seats on either side of the old couple so I could shield them from anything that might fly their way---they just looked frail to me.

The old guy just cracked me up. Remember, the smell of alcohol was nearly combustible, and he pulled out his pepper spray and armed it! I asked him to relax and he says (priceless) "You never know, they might be on drugs!" I just started laughing (more out of nervousness than anything) and said, "Oh, you think?" No mention of alcohol though! LOL

Gratefully the bulk of the drunks got off a few stops later. I was sweating and shaking and having trouble catching my breath. I had been shoved a bit, but was more concerned about what it was going to turn into. It took a long time for me to release my hands from the grips of those seats and back away from the older couple. They hurt and my nails left marks in my palms.

Ah good times. Those Cleveland bus drivers are underappreciated.

• AnneB
    AnneB

When you put up with crap, all you get is more crap. The driver put a stop to the crap. Good on him!

AnneB (Former Clevelander and lifetime bus rider)

Note: I've said what I have to say and I'm not planning to come back and defend my position. Say what you want, you're entitled...but so am I.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

According to the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit, the bus driver has been suspended and an investigation is pending.

"Upon identifying the driver, he was immediately suspended and removed from duty. His behavior is absolutely unacceptable."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit