The Black Cat Analogy

by OnTheWayOut 121 Replies latest jw friends

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

bourgie, boogie, like the ghetto birds who typically throw that accusation out there know how to spell it anyway lol.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Ghetto birds? Where? What's that? I will have to google that.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Going back to our black cat, we can further complicate this if we make our "black cat" also Schrodinger's Cat.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Interesting. Can a cat be both alive and dead?

• still thinking
    still thinking

Schrodinger's Cat.

I just googled that and quite frankly the whole concept is beyond me...Quantum mechanics and Quantum superposition is .......confusing...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

From what I could understand the cat is neither dead or live but in a sort of undetermined limbo until observed.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Schrödinger's Cat: A cat, a flask of poison and a radioactive source are placed in a sealed box. If an internal monitor detects radioactivity, the flask is shattered, releasing the poison that kills the cat. The Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics implies that after a while, the cat is simultaneously alive anddead . Yet, when we look in the box, we see the cat either alive or dead, not both alive and dead.

???????????? LOL

• still thinking
    still thinking

This video helps to explain Schrodingers Cat for those that are interested....cause I am...

It's only 8 mins long for those that are time challenged...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyjJpWflJ7Y&feature=related

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Great video, thanks.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

For the last year of my Open University BSc degree I studied philosophy. The titles of the units were:-

Human Nature after Darwin

Humans and other animals

Arguments for freedom

Environments, Ethics and Human Concern

Minds and Bodies

Destiny, Purpose and Faith

I studied human rights, womens rights, animal rights, crime and punishment etc.

I found it very down to earth and not at all esoteric.

For my first year I studied mid-Victorian Britain which included the philosophy of John Stuart Mill, called Utilitarianism. Nothing airy fairy about Mr Mill or utilitarianism. He used his influence in governement to help get the vote for working men and he wanted women to have the vote as well because his wife was a very intelligent feminist, but it wasn't to be in his lifetime.

When I first read Plato I was astonished especially as JWs dismissed him as that guy that talks about the immortality of the soul. There is sooooo much more to Plato than that.

Also worth a read are the essays of Michel de Montaigne. Very down to earth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit