The New Diary of Winston Smith

by WinstonSmith 336 Replies latest jw experiences

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

BluesBrother: I still remember the moment clearly when I clicked on it. I was doing one of the big no-nos, what was going to happen? Would Jehovah make everything 'openly exposed?' I remember logging out of FaceBook and Gmail and everything else, just in case, somehow something autoposted info on what I was looking at. LOL. The things this cult does to the logical mind never ceases to amaze me.

00DAD: I love how the WTS freely quotes the OT to edict WTS law, in some cases but ignores it in others. Don't get a tattoo because the OT says so. Don't worry, you don't need to marry your rapist, that's the old law and does not apply. Control baby, CONTROL!

Knowsnothing: You got what I was getting at. There is not a lot of logic to the stance they take. They quite happily condemn certain pagan practices, but don't bat an eyelid at others. I believe the party line is something like "It all depends on how the custom is viewed by people in the time and place they live now." Last birthday party I heard about at work, people went around saying 'how does it feel to be old?' 'You're an old fart' and not 'Thank you <insert pagan god name> for blessing <insert name> with life and fertility' etc etc.

Indeed.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Winston:

Please keep the diary going. It's enjoyable and educational.

A few days ago I saw a couple of guys I recognised as dubs out on FS. The young man (college age) I've spoken to before. He is, no doubt, intelligent and was clearly uncomfortable trying to defend the 'Adam' concept. He was accompanied by a late middle-aged guy who looked worn-down, a beige wind-cheater (? an elder?). Neither looked happy and I happen to know that the door they were knocking on was the house of an immigrant family - they are muslims. Not much chance there, and as they knocked the rain started to fall like stair rods. My overwhelming thought was 'poor buggers'.

I've noticed an increase in FS locally. I wonder if this is connected with the fact that the mormons have recently started to build a new 'temple' locally.

Does anyone know, or can comment on, when one 'American sect' (cross-threading here!) shows up and seems to be doing well do other competing sects (cults) put on a special effort?

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Hi Joe, thanks for checking in, always good to hear from you mate!

It is indeed very uncomfortable to get talking with a householder who clearly knows his stuff, and to which you know you don't have the answers to their probing questions. Most will fall back into repeating some tripe from a WT ad nauseum, or the good old trick of "I will need to go and do some research and come back with an answer" and then never coming back!

We used to live in a territory with a heavy Mormon population. I always found a lot of them pretty good to talk to. I have a real good workmate who is a Mormon. I'm not personally aware of targeted field service based on the threat of poachers, but I would love to see a face off between JWs and Mormons on the street. How would it go down? I envisage something like that scene in Anchorman where the guys from the rival channels get into a rumble.

"Did you have a trident?"

"I think I killed a guy"

"Yeah man, I think you're gonna need to lay low for a while"

:-D

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

So Mrs Smith and I were just chatting over a cuppa tea and she told me about something she heard today.

She met up with a friend from a neighbouring congregation and had coffee. In the course of the conversation, the friend says 'Do you know Sister X?" Sister X was in our congregation and recently moved to the friends congregation. 'Yes' said Mr Smith, 'I know her, why?'

'Well' says the friend 'Recently I spent some time with Brother B and his wife (an elder in our congregation), and they said that they were glad she moved because she was a moaner and a troublemaker.'

Here is an elder, speaking to a publisher in another congregation about his personal opinion of a sister who has recently moved. A fine example of a loving shepherd dontcha reckon? Regardless of our personal feelings (this sister is a bit of a pain, but is the classic, unmarried in her late 40s waaah everyone hates me type) a kind elder should never talk to a publisher about another publisher like this. What a douche-bag.

Sure, some might say, there are some big mouth people out there in the world, so why do you judge this guy so harshly? Well yes, there are people like this in the world. I even work with a couple of people like that. I know some worldy people who are worse.

But there is one big difference.

None of those people claim to be appointed by Holy Spirit.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    But there is one big difference.
    None of those people claim to be appointed by Holy Spirit.

Nor do they claim to be "God's Happy People" or claim that their love is a living fulfilment of Jesus' words of who would be his disciples.

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Indeed Broken Promises, indeed.

As humans we are all flawed, and require the kindness of others to get by in this adventure called life. Those who choose to put themselves on a pedestal, should not be surprised when they receive close scrutiny. Especially so when that pedestal is accompanied by claims of divine direction and appointment.

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Hello everyone!

Hope you are well, and fighting the fine fight successfully :-)

We have been intercontinental for three weeks and have spent the last couple of days doing all the fun stuff like unpacking, washing etc etc.

Due to the country we were in, we had no idea that Hurricane Sandy hit New York. I trust all our friends from here who are there weathered it out and did not suffer too much loss or damage.

We are looking forward to catching up on what's been going on here on the board. In the meantime, I think you will enjoy reading the 'letter' below that my brother forwarded to me from a 'friend' regarding NY Bethel. I don't know how original it as it is the usual JW forward of a forwarded email, but that said, it sure sounds like exactly like how I would expect the Head Office to react - not to start cooking meals in its massive kitchens to help feed those that may be without food, not to open its doors to provide shelter for those who need it, not to use its fleet of trucks to assist the local government and police move around supplies and aid. No, no, no. Their frist priority? Making sure everyone was able to have a phone hook up to the Monday night WT study as they weren't able to attend in person.......

See if you can read it with a straight face, I couldn't:

Dear Friends :

Thank you very much for your e-mails and text messages asking how we are doing. We are doing fine and the Bethel Family in all three complexes are fine. There were no injuries and in Brooklyn they are dealing with a few issues due to the flooding.

We received an unprecedented display of loving kindness by the U.S. Branch Committee when they announced on Monday morning that the Bethel Family in Brooklyn did not have to come in to work on Tuesday due to the expected high winds, flooding, and flying debris. This is a first. However, it underscores the loving concern of our brothers. Later that day at lunch, the U.S. Branch Committee made another announcement advising those at Patterson and Wallkill that lived in the Patterson Inn and off-site housing could leave at 4:00 p.m. on Monday to avoid the storm. They also made provisions for the Bethelites to pick up food for the evening and for the next morning . Finally, they advised those at home that they would be tied in to the Monday night Watchtower Study t and Morning Worship on Tuesday by video to their televisions in the room. Again, this left all of us feeling the love and concern of the brothers for our welfare.

As far as the friends in our congregation, there are no injuries. A couple of the friends homes had trees fall on them and one family had to evacuate. The biggest problem they are facing is power outages due to falling trees. One brother said it looks like a “war zone” with all the fallen trees and limbs around our congregation territory. The elders and circuit overseers are cooperating with the Regional Building Committees and Disaster Relief Committees to assess damage and to provide help where needed. Thus far, none of the friends in our congregation have needed assistance, but some have moved in with others who had better conditions. The elders are working this morning to check on everyone and see what assistance they need. What a loving organization we are a part of that has in place arrangements to assist the friends. Many unbelieving husbands and other relatives have been impressed by the calls of the elders and offer to help where needed.

You have no doubt seen scenes of New York City with water gushing down the subway, into buildings, and flooding roadways. The picture of the crane dangling ominously from the top of a skyscraper near Central Park and 57 th Street will forever be an image of the devastation of this storm. Who could have ever imagined that Wall Street would be closed for two days and the subways closed for several days due to a late Hurricane in October. It will be several weeks before things are back to “normal.” However, in the midst of all the devastation, the brothers in Bethel are back to work and really the operations never came to a halt. Due to technology, many of the brothers who stayed home were able to work remotely from home and even took phone calls from their rooms as if they were still at work. Since Patterson and Wallkill were not affected as much by the storm, it was work as usual although our thoughts and prayers have been with our brothers on the East Coast.

For us, this is a prelude to what lies ahead during the great tribulation when we will all need to help one another. One thing we can be assured of, is that Jehovah is preparing us through his organization to be prepared and ready to assist each other. We are also reminded that we need to be prepared with our “go bags” since we never thought that we would need that emergency kit in New York. But, it just shows that no place is immune.

More importantly, this storm reminded us of the need to stay spiritual strong. It is only with trust in Jehovah that we will be able to know that he is our support and help in time of need. It reminds us of the words of Psalms 91:1, 2: “Anyone dwelling in the secret place of the Most High Will procure himself lodging under the very shadow of the Almighty One. I will say to Jehovah: “[You are] my refuge and my stronghold, My God, in whom I will trust.”

Thanks again for your prayers and concern for us and the friends on the East Coast. May Jehovah continue to bless and protect all of you.

• happy@last
    happy@last

First off, Hello Winston, I'm new here and just read your story, your experience as an elder reads the same as me, including assembly items. I often think of it like working in a fancy hotel, it looks nice, the staff are friendly and polite, you get all you need, but behind the scenes the staff are miserable, the offices don't even have wallpaper and out back is filthy.

The letter above literally gave me heart palpitations. It's so off of reality, unbelievable.

All the best on your fading journey, I'm just away to the cinema with my kids while their mum gets ready for the public talk and wt study!

You can guess how quick my kids made up their mind where they wanted to be

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Hello Happy@Last, firstly, welcome to the board, thanks for sharing your story. I read your intro on your thread with interest. I hope you are well and healthy, and things are going well for you and your family. I love your illustration of the hotel. The phrase 'whitewashed graves' also comes to mind.....

We got an email yesterday from our congregation secretary looking for reports. The email said 'We missed you at the last few meetings, hope things are okay. By the way, just wondering if you could let me know your field service hours for October?'

Hey jackass, we have been overseas for three weeks, good to know you have your finger on the pulse of the congregation!

I would love to reply and say 'Hey bro, I'll make a deal with you - You show me a scripture that says I have to report time, and in return I will.'

But alas we aren't quite at that point yet. I will however wait a few more days before giving him something. Let him stew.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

So great to have you on JWnet Winston. Another ex-elder that faded (for awhile until they nabbed me lol) sends his regards!

The last several months of fading away many simply report whatever numbers seem appropriate. The amount of time we spend serving God is impossible to calculate, so there is plenty of "wiggle room" IMO lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit