The New Diary of Winston Smith

by WinstonSmith 336 Replies latest jw experiences

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Don't tell anyone, but Mrs Smith and I may or may not have just danced Gangnam Style to a Boney M song in our lounge and then fallen on the ground giggling and laughing like two year olds......

I'll deny everything in a court of law :-D

Speaking of denial, (did you like the segue?) how's this for a classic case of the WTS living in denial:

The May 1st 1997 WT, on page 8 says "Jehovah God is the Grand Identifier of his true messengers. He identifies them by making the messages he delivers through them come true."

Based on the WTS's own words, would you call them God's true messengers?

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Hi everyone,

Hope you are having a nice weekend!

Came across the notes below in my Evernote stash just before. I don't think I got to post them in my last Diary. These are notes from Day 3 of the current round of District Conventions.

These notes do not necessarily reflect my own feelings, they are just notes on what was said. I am reporting, not supporting.

Please feel free to leave your comments. Enjoy!

Serve Jehovah With Your Whole Heart... ...As Did Hannah

• Hannah was childless, something that was a big deal in bible times.
    • Did she allow this pain to interfere with her worship of Jehovah?
    • 1 Samuel 1:10. She poured herself to Him.
    • Eli mocked her, but Hannah replied respectfully.
    • Jehovah was watching and blessed her with many children.
    • 1 Samuel 1:18. Hannah made known her request and left it in Jehovah's hands.
    • This shows us that prayer is important. When you have a problem, pray about it.
    • Hannah did not dwell on what Eli said to her even though he was rude and wrong. We should show the same attitude if an elder does the same to us.
    ...As Did Samuel
    • Samuel enjoyed his privelige of serving Jehovah.
    • 1 Samuel 2:12 shows that all was not well in the house of God.
    • Samuel remained focused on his service despite the bad attitudes around him.
    • He delivered a message of judgement, and everything that as foretold to occur happened. 1 Samuel 3:19.
    • Samuel was humble and loyal. If we show this same attitude we can have a good relationship with God.
    • It is never too early or too late to start serving Jehovah.
    • We can do this in many ways:
    • Being obedient to those in authority.
    • Engage in the field ministry.
    • Attend and participate in the meetings.
    • Will we follow Samuel's example? Make a firm stand for righteousness.
    ...As Did Abigail
    • Wisdom, courage and faith were evident in Abigail.
    • Her foresight saved the lives of many in her household.
    • Could you imagine being stuck in a marriage with someone like Nabal?
    • She did not let her situation prevent her from serving God. She put her relationship with God ahead of her personal feelings.
    • Her decisive action showed that she supported true worship.
    • How did David react? 1 Samuel 25:32, 33. He recognised Jehovah's and in matters.
    • She could have made other choices that benefitted her. But she put Jehovah first.
    • Some among us have difficult marriages. Do we treat our marriage like those in the world? As disposable? Or do we imitate Abigail and choose the course that reflects Jehovah's view of marriage.
    • She put faith in Jehovah's anointed one. We too should put faith in those that Jehovah's has appointed today.
    ...As Did Elijah
    • Elijah had a very direct message for the King.
    • 1 Kings 18:1. Even though there was a drought, Elijah advised that it would soon end.
    • He showed faith by waiting on Jehovah for to make it rain. The rain didn't come immediately. Elijah had complete trust that the rain was going to come. He even spoke like the rain was already on its way.
    • We too are waiting for Jehovah to fulfil his promise, the end of this corrupt system of things.
    • Are we praying as did Elijah? Do we have the same confidence as Elijah? Are we keeping watchful?
    ...As Did Jonah
    • Jonah was given an assignment that he didn't want to do.
    • Can we learn from Jonah's mistakes?
    • Jonah 3:4. He went ahead and did his job faithfully. He didn't skirt around the edge of the city. He went deep inside..
    • This led to the repentance of the city.
    • Jonah 4:1. When the destruction didn't come, this annoyed Jonah. His pride was hurt and he was afraid that he might be labelled as a false prophet since what he said did not come true.
    • The book does not say how Jonah reacted with the lesson of the gourd plant, but the book itself tells us. Jonah wrote it and it was included in the bible, so it must have ended positively.
    • Soliloquoy. Brother lamenting theft and job losses in the community. Wishes Jehovah would just bring this system to an end. Daughter shows him baptism numbers in the yearbook. Brother is now glad Jehovah is patient with people.
    ...As Did Mary
    • The bible does not tell us much about Mary, but she was given a weighty responsibility. She was to become the mother of the Messiah.
    • What would she do with the big assignment? Her fine qualities of humility and obedience allowed her to take it on.
    • She obediently responded with the words of Luke 1:38.
    • We can imitate Mary by having a humble attitude. She was not arrogant or self willed. Our choice of friends plays a key role in our staying loyal to Jehovah. Mary spent time with Elizabeth and they up built each other. Seek out those that are spiritually mature.
    • Mary was a student of Gods word. People today look at study as old fashioned and boring. Reading Gods word brings us closer to him.
    ...As Did Martha
    • Martha was close with Jesus and lived with Mary and Lazarus.
    • Jesus enjoyed spending time with them. On one occasion Jesus counseled Martha on what she she should better focus her attention on.
    • She was no doubt overjoyed when Lazarus was resurrected.
    • John 11:25-27. Those who are faithful are rewarded.
    • Martha felt that hospitality was very important. Are we the same? Do we follow the course of hospitality?
    • Demonstration. Sister makes five courses and dessert for CO meal. Had to ask two other sisters to help. Missed field service in order to prepare. Felt guilty. Brother reminds her of Martha and says it is better to focus on spiritual things. Sister says she will read the passage about Martha and change the way she does things.
    ...As Did Peter
    • Peter was well known for making mistakes.
    • What did Peter learn from his mistakes? He never gave up on his desire to serve Jehovah. Luke 24:33, 34.
    • Jesus even appeared to Peter personally. No doubt Jesus offered comfort to Peter at that time.
    • He went on to play a key role in setting up the first century congregation.
    • When he made mistakes, he didn't isolate himself. He spent time with his brothers and sought strength through prayer.
    • He didn't dwell on the past, but focused on the future.
    • Jehovah forgive us for our mistakes. Proverbs 23:16.
    The Former Things Will Not Come Up Into the Heart (Public Talk)
    • The world faces a perfect storm of famine, financial pressure and unrest.
    • When these things come up into our heart, they are a heavy burden. The bible promises that in the near future the problems of this world will be done away with. Isaiah 65:17.
    • Can you imagine what life will be like to have no burdens? How will this come about?
    • The bible talks about new heavens and new earth, these represent new ruling powers and a new society.
    • The new heavens spoken of in Isaiah was Zerrubabul. The new earth was the Israelites that reinhabited Israel.
    • Peter talks about another new heavens and new earth. Following the template of ancient Israel, this will mean new rulership and a new society.
    • Revelation also talks about new heavens and new earth.
    • The current ruling powers and society will soon be a past memory and the new heavens and new earth will be present. This will be the final instalment of new heavens and new earth. Revelation 21:3, 4.
    • As a member of the public, you might read Revelation 21:3, 4 and think this is talking about heaven. But it says that death will be no more. Where does death occur? On earth. This is why we know there will be an earthly paradise.
    • Do we know the names of the ones that will make up the new heavens?
    • Revelation14:1,3 - There will be 144,000 who come from the earth.
    • Revelation 5:9, 10 - These ones will rule over the earth as kings.
    • Matthew 6:9, 10 - The new heavens is Gos's kingdom.
    • Isaiah 65:21-23 - The earth will be the location of the subjects of the kingdom.
    • God's government will soon be here. World events prove that we are in the time of the end.
    • Matthew 24:14. This is part of Jesus' composite sign and we are seeing this fulfilled today. JWs preach in more than 230 lands. Never before in human history have people had such a chance to hear the good news.
    • The new heavens will clean up the earth. Proverbs 2:21, 22. Can you imagine living without fear? Can you imagine what life would be like to feel completely safe?
    • Isaiah 65:13. Our spiritual needs will be catered for in the new earth. Everything need will be care for.
    • Each day we carry heavy burdens around with us. Can you imagine what life would be like to slowly shed all the baggage?
    • Members of the public, have you ever had questions that you have been unable to find satisfying answers to? JWs can show you those answers and what the future holds.
    • Personal question: Are you hurting? Is your pain evident? Don't give up. Hang in there. The time is coming when the things if this world will be fine.
    • To access this we must do what Jesus advised at John 17:3. Doing so will mean that very soon, the things that hurt you now, will no longer come up into your heart.
    Never Let Your Heart Become Terrified
    • There are many things that can impact on our figurative hearts.
    • When we get anxious, strange things happen to our body. We might panic, be paralysed, our heart palpitates. We can feel the physical effects on our figurative hearts.
    • From a spiritual perspective, we must guard our hearts.
    • 1 Chronicles 28:20. We have Jehovah's backing. We have to have the same attitude as David in this scripture.
    • There are several reasons why we should have this attitude:
    • We are imitating Jehovah and Jesus.
    • Cowards are condemned in the bible.
    • When we panic, we don't make good decisions.
    • Panic can lead to inactivity.
    • Satan is trying to make us stumble and panic. He will target our weaknesses. 1 Peter 5:8.
    • He will use everything at his disposal to take us down. We can witnstand these attacks. 1 Peter 5:9.
    • What can cause us to be terrified?
    • A doctor might say to you that if you don't take a blood transfusion, you will die.
    • We might lose our job.
    • We might get offered a job that clashes with our spiritual routine.
    • We might face issues in our marriage.
    • It takes courage to stand up to Satan.
    • When Satan roars in our face we should follow the advice of Isaiah 30:21. Listen for the word of Jehovah. From our study of his word, we learn what can help us be successful in living a faithful course.
    • Thinking about what we will face at the end of this system, we can be worried about how things will unfold. Does our imagination get us into trouble and allow us to imagine the worst possible things happening to us?
    • The encouragement from Jesus was to not be anxious. Just worry about what we need to worry about now. Leave the future in Jehovah's hands.
    • When we have a load that is too heavy, it can have an effect on us. Proverbs 12:25.
    • Think on positive things. If we went in field service and viewed the next house ias a potential witness, it will be more successful than thinking that there is going to be a grumpy person there.
    • If we allow ourselves to be discouraged, it can bring us down. Use our imagination in a good way to keep ourselves positive.
    • Use our imagination when reading the bible. This can make the bible come alive. This makes it have more meaning for us.
    • There are four qualities that have been discussed at this convention that will prevent us from being terrified:
    • Faith. Weak faith opens the door for Satan to get in. Strong faith keeps that door firmly shut. Hebrews 13:6. We strengthen our faith through study, prayer, and association. The stronger our faith, the stronger our courage.
    • Hope. This helps us to see beyond difficulty. Psalm 27:14. Any trials we may face are only temporary compared to the eternal future that is held out to us.
    • Peace. The knowledge of the future makes us calm and prepared for what is coming. John 14:27. When we throw our anxiety on Jehovah, we feel a release. Philippians 4:6, 7.
    • Love. There is no fear when we have a genuine love for Jehovah and our brothers. 1 John 4:18.
    • Letter from the Governing Body re France. The ECHR ruled favourably on behalf of JWs with regards to tax laws. The French government did not comply and kept charging the tax. The JWs appealed and the court ruled again in favour of JWs.
    • There has been a merge of the NZ and Australian branches. Jehovah is breaking down national boundaries in preparation for the end.
    • Keep making wise decisions. The scriptures tell us that our enemies will not prevail. We just have to hang in there until it is all done. Never let our hearts become terrified.
  • WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Just read through this and enjoyed it, so thought I'd share. It is a non-JW relate article about what the bible really teaches regarding disfellowshipping:

http://www.servantsnews.com/docs/disfel01.htm

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

Winston-

Do you have other questions and thoughts that provoked your wifes enlightenment? My husband too is a robot and wont think for himself. I am going to back off of the subject for awhile though. Had assembly today and my notes consisted of

"safegaurd your conscience" talk by bro. elder

- society says they are jehovahs holy spirit

- Dont talk to non witnesses because they are reviler, theives and drunkards

- society doesnt want their robots doing independant thinking so they tell them dont get an education, live in poverty and never question us.

Well on our way to dinner I made some points about how the gist of their talks say these sort of things. He says I just look to the negative because Ive been hurt or I hold a grudge. I showed him the UN letter, I showed him the candace condi info and he makes excuses. He said the pedophile case has to be fake or rigged because everyone qouted in the cnn article is ex-witnesses. I then ask him what he thinks the 1st thing should happen when a child accuses someone of molestation. He tells me " A judicial commitee needs get to the bottom and find out what happened" I ask him if maybe the police are the ones to be handling criminal investigations, not a bunch of old that may or may not have a high school diploma. Trying to dig deeper in his mind, I asked him if thats what he thinks should happen if his child tells him she/ he was touched. How can I break this "protect the society at all costs" attitude? He told me I can not be a witness if thats what I choose, but he will always be. I respect his decision, I just wished he could make an informed decision. Any ideas to aid in deprogramming would be appreciated.

• Aware!
    Aware!

I've asked for the scriptural support for no beards and am just looked at as if I'm weak 'spiritually'. I also tried asking for scriptural support for the field service report and got nothing. This was before I became an apostate. I was fed up with the report and being told that I had to be really accurate or I'd be stealing time from Jehovah.

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Hello Honeybucket,

Thankyou for taking the time to share your situation. I know from experience that the limbo period is crap. You have my sympathy and understanding. It can be tough not knowing what to do, especially when you get shut down with every attempt, however small. I'm no expert, and can only speak from my personal experience, but I hope that any suggestions I make might be of some help.

There are actually some positives things that you have mentioned. One, you are able to speak with him about your doubts, and from what I read, he has not turned you into the elders. Two, he has said that he is okay with you not being a witness. This is excellent and you can use this to your advantage. These are indicators to me that there is a good level of respect and communication between you - maybe not in all things, but indeed in a general sense. I say keep talking. Not about JW things, but about everything else. Have fun, enjoy your marriage and the relationship you have. Never miss a chance to say how much you love him. Show him through your actions that your feelings toward him have not changed, just your feelings about JWs.

Some JWs (most in fact) are deep in the matrix. So deep that they simply cannot fathom any other way of life. It is synonymous with who they are. For them to admit that all is not well in the WT house, would open a pandoras box of family strife, loss of friends and a life turned on its head. This can be too much to even contemplate and so the protective walls go up, and everything gets blocked out.

It takes guts, but try and take things down a gear, enjoy being hubby and wife, and don't allow the situation to control you. Sometimes a change in circumstances, like you moving out of his mum's place can be the things that gets the spark going. The WTS likes to tell us that a change in circumstances can be the thing that brings a family member to the truth. This applies to those on the way out too! When the time is right, gently prod on something that is close to his heart. Instead of saying "This thing iswrong! JWs have been tricked!" I found the "Help me to understand this point" method more effective. Appeal instead of accuse.

Gently, gently does it.

It's not much, but I hope there might be something useful in there for you. We are here as a netowrk to support you, so never be afraid to ask for help.

Take care, and hang in there. We are all cheering for you.

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

@Awake

Mate, if there are two things that really get my goat, it is the no beard policy, and the reporting of field service time.

In fact, not so much the reporting of time, more so having to put your name on it and then having that number used to determine whether you are worthy of certain 'priveliges' in the congregation. As an elder it was utterly distasteful to hear when, during the meeting held before the CO visit to discuss who could be put up for appointment, the first question was always 'how are his field service hours?' followed by 'They're good? Okay lets look at Timothy to check his spiritual qualifications'.

Yuck.

I really don't get the beard thing. There is nothing specific in any publications, just 'experiences' of people who turned up at a meeting with a beard and everyone thought they were dodgy. There is certainly no scripture for it. The closest they can get is dress and grooming, being well arranged etc. In fact I am sure that there is a scripture that says you should have a beard. But that was in the Hebrew Scriptures, so doesn't count right?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I related to this line in your O/P

My mouse hovered over the link in the Google results to jwfacts.com. Should I?

I used to be like that. I was not willing to leave history of "apostate" sites on our then shared computer so I used the public library. That was fine but I was sure that a heavy hand would one day land on my shoulder and another elder would say "'ello,'ello,'ello , what is this here?" - or that a thunderbolt from heaven would strike me down.

Neither ever happened..

Keep posting Winston (I love Orwell's book)

• 00DAD
    00DAD

WS: In fact I am sure that there is a scripture that says you shouldhave a beard. But that was in the Hebrew Scriptures, so doesn't count right?

• Leviticus 19:27 - “Y OU must not cut YOUR sidelocks "short around, and you must not destroy the extremity of your beard"

Yes, but they'd stone people if they could get away with it, which is of course an OT thing!

"The Hebrew Bible or Tanakh (the source for the Christian Old Testament), which forms the core texts of the Halakha, or corpus of Jewish divine law, include a surprising number of crimes which merit the death penalty as punishment. " -

It's all about control. I thought you knew.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    By the way, what is the logic behind this?
    Happy birthday - Death at Armageddon

Pagan. Birthday cakes, presents, candles all have pagan origins linked to guardian angels, zodiac, and in general religious superstition.

You love yourself too much, so you deserve to be roast meat on Jehovah's Cook-Off challenge, A.K.A., Armageddon.

Merry Christmas - You just missed out on everlasting life

Pagan. Super-duper pagan. Jesus didn't erect an evergreen to commemorate his birth, rather he convinced his disciples to celebrate his death by eating his body and blood, symbolically of course. (Geez, that doesn't sound pagan at all...)

It's all good though, your body will serve as fertilizer for the New System. You will live on forever, just not the way you expected.

Happy Halloween - No resurrection for you buddy

Pagan. This one I can understand. While it's an inoffensive excuse for adults to dress up, it really does have occult roots.

Then again, what is difference in glorifying zombies, and glorifying the resurrected Jesus? Zombie Jesus?

Happy Hannukah - You made God unhappy

Hannukah is actually the celebration of the retaking of the temple in 2nd century BCE. Honestly, the only reason I can see themselves trying to distance themselves from this is that it really is culturally a Jewish-only relevant celebration. How many Christians celebrate Hannukah?

It really makes no sense, however, to completely ban this celebration, as if anything it is rejoicing in gaining back God's own Holy Temple. But, whatever. None of this is supposed to make sense, only you are expected to obey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit