JWs are attending the OSCE meeting in Warsaw as a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) & giving presentations

by AndersonsInfo 39 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Watchtower representatives (Jehovah’s Christian Witnesses) are once again attending the OSCE, Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, meeting in Warsaw on September 24 - Oct. 5, 2012. http://www.osce.org/hdim_2012

To see Jehovah’s Witnesses listed as a Non-Governmental Organization, click on

http://www.osce.org/hdim_2012?view=conference_documents&display=page_2&arg=92455.

Please scroll down under Non-Governmental Organization and click on Administrative Centre of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia as well as European Association of Jehovah's Christian Witnesses. Once you click on them, you will be brought to a page with a list of all of their presentations at the OSCE.

Who is the OSCE? http://www.osce.org/who

“With 56 States from Europe, Central Asia and North America, the OSCE is the world's largest regional security organization. It offers a forum for political negotiations and decision-making in the fields of early warning, conflict prevention, crisis management and post-conflict rehabilitation, and puts the political will of its participating States into practice through its unique network of field missions.

“The OSCE has a comprehensive approach to security that encompasses politico-military, economic and environmental, and human aspects. It therefore addresses a wide range of security-related concerns, including arms control, confidence- and security-building measures, human rights, national minorities, democratization, policing strategies, counter-terrorism and economic and environmental activities.

“All 56 participating States enjoy equal status, and decisions are taken by consensus on a politically, but not legally binding basis.”

Participating States - http://www.osce.org/who/83

The OSCE has 56 participating States from Europe, Central Asia and North America:

• Albania
    • Austria
    • Belgium
    • Canada
    • Czech Republic
    • Finland
    • Germany
    • Hungary
    • Italy
    • Latvia
    • Luxembourg
    • Monaco
    • Norway
    • Romania
    • Serbia
    • Spain
    • Tajikistan
    • Turkmenistan
    • United States
    • Andorra
    • Azerbaijan
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
    • Croatia
    • Denmark
    • France
    • Greece
    • Iceland
    • Kazakhstan
    • Liechtenstein
    • Malta
    • Montenegro
    • Poland
    • Russian Federation
    • Slovakia
    • Sweden
    • the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
    • Ukraine
    • Uzbekistan
    • Armenia
    • Belarus
    • Bulgaria
    • Cyprus
    • Estonia
    • Georgia
    • Holy See
    • Ireland
    • Kyrgyzstan
    • Lithuania
    • Moldova
    • Netherlands
    • Portugal
    • San Marino
    • Slovenia
    • Switzerland
    • Turkey
    • United Kingdom
  • breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Thanks for the information and links. Trying to figure a way of presenting the whole UN thing to my wife in a productive manner. . . . .

• Aaron Eldridge
    Aaron Eldridge

surely thet have been more careful about being an NGO. Does anyone know if the requirements for gaining NGO status has changed from the time the Org first got involved?

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Presentations about what?

• krejames
    krejames

Notwithstanding the whole NGO membership "scandal", I'm not sure this is really the strongest argument against JWs. The presentations are to the OSCE to promote religious freedom, an activity in itself the JWs have never hidden. They openly go to court and meet with politicians if it will promote freedom of worship. I am sure most R&F witnesses will not even raise an eyebrow at this. For me, it wasn't the fact that JWs have NGO membership, but the fact that they apprently tried to hide the membership (if the correspondence presented on the JWfacts site between the Guardian and JWs is genuine, that is indeed eyebrow-raising!). If the GB had said, "yes we're NGO member, so what?" it might have been less of a scandal for them.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

except for those nasty pictures in the publications about the United Nations. Wasn't that the organization that's going to attack all religion? But it's not a scandle to be a part of that organization

• Ding
    Ding

No doubt they are only participating so they can renew their library card...

• krejames
    krejames

Hey Wha Happened - I don't disagree with you. Membership to promote the aims of the UN does seem double-standards considering all they have written in the past (though strangely they don't seem so vitriolic about the UN these days hehe). But they could have handled it differently - if they had said "yes we are members not to promote the politics of the UN but to promote religious freedom", I'm sure it wouldn't have been seen as such a scandal. That they tried so desperately to cover up their membership was more shocking to me.

• DT
    DT

The Watchtower Society is an organization that is not a government, so there is nothing scandalous about them being called an NGO.

Being formally associated with the United Nations and being in agreement with their charter was scandalous and hypocritical. I guess the important question now is whether they have entered an agreement or association with the OSCE that violates their own standards of neutrality.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

seems like the Watchtower likes it both ways:

they like representation without "being politically involved"................. ha!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit