questions

by DanielC 53 Replies latest social relationships

• DanielC
    DanielC

hello!

i've been dating a JW girl for about 4 years and we've recently had a lot of issues with the fact that her family doesn't like that i'm not a JW. I've been looking into the religion and am interested in it. But is it wrong to join just so I don't lose her?

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Oh my..... I would suggest joining any group or religion simply for a romantic relationship is a bad idea. It sets the wrong tone and should clue you in on the shallow nature of your relationship but it is an especially bad idea in the case of jehovahs witnesses. Take some time and read over the site and the information posted here and decide for yourself but my view and my view only is that it would be a very very bad idea
  • DanielC
    DanielC
    Growing up my family had no religous values. Been dating from aged 16-20. Never been invited over for dinner or ever invited to a family event. Would joining even fix this or is it too late
  • Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Daniel, would you like to join a group that will not give you a present at Xmas? And when you want to give them one they refuse it because its Satanic? Would you like to join a group that would forbid you to talk to your own children if they disagreed with the teachings of the group? (Assuming you are marriage minded). Would you join a group that believe that you should voluntarily die before taking a life saving blood transfusion? Would you join a group that expects you NEVER to miss attending their five meetings, (on 2 days) and looks at you as a weak person if you do? Would you join a group that would expect you to not associate with your own family because they are "worldly"? Lastly would you join a group that might tell your wife to leave you if you later decide that its all bullshit? and all this just for sex? Get it elsewhere.
  • JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

DanielC,

It is not a quick process to "join" the Jehovah's Witness religion and is even more difficult to leave the religion. You have to have a personal bible study that last for months, attend meetings every week, comment, "mature spiritually" to the point of baptism, and then after that, your motives would be questioned about your interest. I'm not saying it hasn't been done before, I know of some sisters that put the engagement ring on the day their worldly boy friends got baptised.

I would pursue other romantic interests if I were you, that were not associated with Jehovah's Witnesses. But, unfortunately, what I have seen is just telling someone that it's going to be a very painful experience if you pursue dating x person, and they will do it anyway and then when they are hurt they will come back to me and try to put the pieces together of how it all happened. We drink a lot of Scotch to help ease the pain.

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Please have a good look at jwfacts.com before making a decision, Daniel. Remember that even before you are baptised, you will be expected to promote these beliefs to the public.

Retro

• DanielC
    DanielC
    see this is where i have another question. I know the mother of the girl has siblings who left the church and they still are okay with hanging out and don't shun them. Her family isn't like the radical form of JW. they attend church twice a week and go to the big meetings but they give each other gifts , instead of on the birthday it might be a couple weeks later or something they might get a gift. I know I sound mildly insane here.
  • DanielC
    DanielC
    really appreciating all the feedback
  • JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

"I know I sound mildly insane here."

Yep, you sound insane. She's got her hooks into you doesn't she.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Daniel, their giving each other gifts on days other than their birthdays isn't really a measurement of their devotion. The fact that they haven't invited you over to dinner and gotten to know you is a measure of their devotion to the religion.

Don't do it my friend, even half-hearted JWs are grief.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit