The Bible-- Full of Errors And Inconsistencies?

by Recovery 114 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Alright lol, this is a funny one from Bart Ehrman: At Jesus' last meal with his disciples, Peter asks, “Lord, where are you going?" (13:36). A few verses later, Thomas says to Jesus, "Lord, we do not know where you are going" (14:5). Oddly enough, several minutes later, Jesus states, "But now I am going to him who sent me; yet none of you asks me, `Where are you going?"' {16:5)! So what’s going on here? Is Jesus deaf, senile, or just not listening?

...or did the author jumble his paragraphs up?

• still thinking
    still thinking

<< Psalm 58 >>
    New International Version 1984

10 The righteous will be glad when they are avenged,

when they bathe their feet in the blood of the wicked.

11 Then men will say,

“Surely the righteous still are rewarded;

surely there is a God who judges the earth.”

<< Proverbs 24 >>
    New International Version 1984

17 Do not gloat when your enemy falls;

when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice,

18 or the Lord will see and disapprove

and turn his wrath away from him.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Proverbs 16:6 Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for; through the fear of the LORD a man avoids evil

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

• cofty
    cofty

Jesus' birth narratives are impossible to reconcile.

Was it Bethlehem - Egypt - Nazareth as in Matthew

or

Nazareth - Bethlehem - Bethlehem as in Luke

Read the details carefully it can't be both.

Did Jesus die before or after the Passover?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

In answer to the thread title , YES and more than most books !

• Sulla
    Sulla

Of course. And I wish you better luck as you attempt to write and edit a work written over a thousand years, based on several streams of oral tradition, written and redacted by hundreds of people, relying on many different viewpoints and memories, in three languages, through dozens of wars and political crises, etc.

Then, of course, you have to deal with criticism that the work fails to live up to a completely illegitimate and arbitrary standard, invented by illiterate Jehovah's Witnesses.

Tough gig.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Opening Post: This thread isn't for debating purposes, but simply for listing.

Post 170: Skeptics Annotated Bible has been shown on numerous occassions to be misleading and inaccurate.

Post 171: Okay, Leolaia I have to disagree with you on some basic points.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Recovery, I understand you are not interested in debating this subject, asking for a list and all that, but consider your beliefs depend on an inerrant bible. All that needs to be found is one inconsistency, and the bible loses its inerrancy.

• John Kesler
    John Kesler

I have never seen a satisfactory response to the discrepancy involving the length of the Israelites' Egyptian sojourn.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Can anyone remember that great Watchtower quote from the 1920s that said something like "of course, the Bible is full of mistakes"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit