Does God Command Christians To Go From Door To Door Preaching The Gospel?

by Bangalore 144 Replies latest jw friends

• Recovery
    Recovery

2. There is not one instance in the Bible where Jesus Himself is said to have gone from house to house. If this were such an indispensable feature of Christian ministry, one would think it would be explicitly stated that the Lord Himself had done so. Telling His disciples to go to people's homes is not the same thing as commanding them to engage in door-to-door evangelism - of course they would go to people's homes to instruct them in an age where there was no TV, radio, Internet, printed Bibles or literature or other means of mass communication. Going to people’s homes does not equate to knocking randomly at the doors of strangers.

Wow. The disciples didn't preach door to door but they would preach from private home to private home. Actually, it is explicitly stated (at least three times) that the disciples preached from house to house, under direction from Jesus Christ himself. Again, let's look at Jesus' instructions to his disciples at Matthew 10:11

"11 “Into whatever city or village YOU enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until YOU leave. 12 When YOU are entering into the house, greet the household; 13 and if the house is deserving, let the peace YOU wish it come upon it; but if it is not deserving, let the peace from YOU return upon YOU. 14 WHEREVER ANYONE DOES NOT TAKE YOU IN OR LISTEN TO YOUR WORDS, on going out of that HOUSE or that city shake the dust off YOUR feet. 15 Truly I say to YOU, It will be more endurable for the land of Sod′om and Go·mor′rah on Judgment Day than for that city."

Let's put our thinking caps on. How are the disciples to search out in a city who is deserving and who is not? How can Jesus say the entire city will be judged on Judgement Day if the disciples only went to talk to a few people here and there in private homes? Also, notice that Jesus says "wherever anyone does not listen to YOUR words...on going out of THAT HOUSE". Now if Jesus' disciples are just teaching people in their private homes, why would the people they are teaching not listen to their words? Again, why is the entire city/village going to be judged on Judgement Day if all the disciples are doing is teaching/preaching in private homes?

3. The Greek term translated "from house to house" in Acts 20:20 can also be translated "in private homes," and the context indicates that it is much better translated that way there. Paul was not talking about some sort of door to door evangelism program in those verses, he was talking about how he instructed the ELDERS of the Ephesian church. Again, it's not surprising that he would go to their private homes in order to instruct them. The way JWs try to use that verse, we would have to understand that Paul went up and down the streets of Ephesus, randomly knocking on doors until he found an elder of the church, then would go in and instruct him. Doesn't make nearly as much sense.

No it does not. Paul is summarizing events that haven take place over a period of three years. That is why Paul says "YOU well know how from the first day that I stepped into the [district of] Asia I was with you the whole time.." Now if Paul is talking about his preaching to the elders, this statement must be false. On Paul's first day in the district of Asia there were no disciples. There was no congregation. There were no elders. How could Paul have been with the elders, preaching to them in their private homes from the first day he came into Asia? Also, why does Paul mention opposition from the Jews regarding his preaching. How were the Jews opposing and setting plots against Paul if he was simply going to the private homes of the elders? It is very obvious whose interpretation doesn't make nearly as much sense.

4. The only verse in the NT that could possibly be used in support of door to door type evangelism by any early Christians would be Acts 5:42, but the same Greek phrase could as easily also be translated there as "in private homes," and would make just as much sense. In the absence of other evidence for early Christian door to door preaching, we cannot assert this text as sole proof, since its meaning in this matter is not conclusive. We would have to be reading our idea of door to door evangelism into the verse rather than drawing it out. Even if the early Christians did use this method of evangelizing, it would not necessarily mean that such a method is required for Christians today, since there are much more effective methods of reaching large numbers of people that don't carry the negative social implications associated today with making uninvited visits to the homes of strangers. There is no command anywhere in Scripture to preach specifically from house to house; the concept is imposed on the text by JWs, not drawn from the text.

If it so easily translated and understood to also mean "in private homes" why do most translations render it "from house to house". Why does a literal translation of the Greek words read "TO houses" and not "IN houses"? We CAN assert this as conclusive because we have clear instructions from Jesus to his disciples about searching out who is deserving in a city/village. "If anyone does not take you in or listen to your words..on going out of THAT HOUSE.." There is nothing ambiguous about these instructions. These weren't instructions to go and preach to people in private homes, they were to search the entire city for deserving ones. How could this be done if they did not go door to door? Then we later have corroborating evidence that this was a Christian practice since the disciples are doing so in Acts 5:42 and Paul and his missionary companions are still doing so in Acts 20.

5. As far as the effectiveness of such door to door ministry, it is actually very ineffective. If you divide their hours spent in "field service" by the number of baptisms for (for example) the year 2011 (as reported in their Yearbook), you find that 5,451 hours had to be spent in their ministry for every new baptism that occurred, and that's not taking into consideration that the majority of those baptisms were probably of young people who had been raised as JWs. That doesn't sound like a very effective method of spreading the word to me. A cynical mind (such as mine) might conclude that the purpose of the door-knocking work for JWs is to keep them so busy that they don't have time to ask questions, rather than to effectively spread their message.

1950--1 in 5000 attended the memorial

2001--1 in 400 attended the memorial

1950--1 JW for 7000 people

2000--1 JW for 1000 people

Wow, the door to door work without a doubt, statistically, is effective. But then again Jesus, Paul, and the early Christians knew they best way to spread their message.

• Aware!
  • freydo
    freydo

In Matt 10 the Messiah specifically commanded, "Go not to the Gentiles." Why not? These were Pagans. They in all likelyhood would not listen. They hated Jews and had their own gods. So who would they find deserving and why would they listen? They were the remnanats of the "lost tribes" living amongst pagans and had no doubt adopted many pagan customs like Jews today among pagan x-tians(aka Christians) who have been contaminated with things like "Chunukah Bushes." These would understand what the Apostles were talking about as they had been scattered mostly from the Middle East to Northern Europe. What they were responding to was the idea that although they had been divorced by Yahweh and were "out of covenant" due their disobedience, a way had been made for them to return. So the great growth of the Church was not due to Christianizing pagans although like the Exodus there was a great crowd of Egyptians that saw the light. Today I believe we see the same thing in the last 30 years or so. It's not very organized, but it's GROWING. Remnants of the lost tribes of Israel and others in Greater Egypt, are being drawn to what's known as the Hebrew Roots/Divine Name movement, to be united with the House of Judah under a New Covenant and ruled from Jerusalem with 144,000 others appointed all over the globe to rule the Earth. But it's going to get ugly first. I hear Israel is ready to dentonate an EMP device over Iran. Or vice versa.

• Listener
    Listener

From the July 1, 1943 Watchtower Pages 204-6

"*** Righteous Requirements ***

These expressions of God's will by his King and through his established agency constitute his law or rule of action for the "faithful and wise servant" and for their goodwill companions today who will dwell upon the earth for ever in the New World.

The Lord breaks down our organization instructions further and makes them more practicable by further instructing us through his "faithful and wise servant".

He says,'Let us assign the field, the world, to special pioneers, regular pioneers and companies of Jehovah's witnesses in an orderly way, sufficient for everyone to thoroughly witness therein, and let us place upon each one the responsibility of caring for the New World interest in these respective assignments.'

He says the requirements for special pioneers shall be 175 hours and 50 back-calls per month, which should develop into a reasonable number of studies; and for regular pioneers 150 hours and as many back-calls and studies as can be properly developed during that time.

And for company publishers he says,'Let us make a quota of 60 hours and 12 back-calls and at least one study a week for each publisher.'

These directions come to us from the Lord through his established agency directing what is required of us; and, for those who really love the Lord and are guided by his counsel, that is a reasonable service requirement.

This expression of the Lord's will should be the end of all controversy. It is for your good that these requirements are made; for thereby you are enabled to prove your integrity and magnify the Lord's name."

• freydo
    freydo

That's when there weren't fast food places to hide out in. Just goes to show how the Lord keeps changing.

"In ignorance of God's plan for the recovery of the world from sin and its consequences, and under the false idea that the nominal church, in its present condition, is the sole agency for its accomplishment, the condition of the world today, after the Gospel has been preached for nearly nineteen centuries, is such as to awaken serious doubts in every thoughtful mind so misinformed. And such doubts are not easily surmounted with anything short of the truth. In fact, to every thoughtful observer, one of two things must be apparent: either the church has made a great mistake in supposing that in the present age, and in her present condition, her office has been to convert the world, or else God's plan has been a miserable failure. Which horn of the dilemma shall we accept?........?

http://www.ctrussell.us/ VOL 1 p14

• freydo
    freydo

If you call yourself a "Christian," then you also in all probability have to confess that you're a pagan in that you do not follow the First 4 Commandments, nor the teachings of the Messiah. And if you do you wouldn't want to be lumped in with all those who don't.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

If JW's are the only ones actively going to their neighbors with a message about the Kingdom, shouldn't that tell you something? Hmmm

Yes, it tells me a great deal. It tells me that the bible says whatever you want it to say. Now I look at it, and I see a clear mandate for Christians to go preaching, not just to those who come to you, but to seek people out. To go to strangers---whatever the method. Jesus was constantly preaching, as were his disciples. He used every opportunity in both formal and informal settings. He went to the people, both in groups and individuals he met along the way. He was not passive about such, but extremely active. It took sacrifice, and his disciples followed suit.

KS brings out an excellent point. When JW's established D2D, this was extremely common to the culture. Doctors were still making housecalls, there was no internet or television. People didn't travel as much and cars and roads were still on the horizon or very new. It was an era where people kind of expected knocks on their doors. We didn't always call ahead before stopping in because we didn't always have phones. Even when we did start having phones, not everyone had one in the home, not all houses were wired, and some areas even used party lines. If you were rich, you could send a footman out with a card announcing that you intended to visit, but that would still be an unexpected knock on the door.

Now anyone reading the bible should conclude that even if they don't want to do it, there is nothing UNbiblical about going D2D, and there is a lot of biblical and cultural support that doing so was the right thing to do. If you take that mandate seriously and wish to make sure every single person is contacted, then it makes total sense to go by residences. It's a way to organize things for the most coverage. Simply talking to the occasional person, hoping they walk into your church, turn on your tv or radio show, or click on your link is a very haphazard way of doing things. Even if you send something in the mail, it is not personal or relevant to the person and they may just chuck it. I conclude that the JW way of preaching is the most thorough.

On the other hand, it's fun to watch Christians who have this extremely important message wiggle around all the mandate and make up excuses as to why this does not pertain to them. They will be able to support their position too, because they are using the Bible and that is what the Bible is all about. You see what you want to see and you dismiss the rest.

I had an extended conversation with a Christian this weekend. They wanted to talk about the immortal soul etc and claim it is a bible teaching. I sat with him and showed him an opposite teaching. We talked about original Greek and Hebrew words and context. This went on forever, and the funny part was that he told me that as an Atheist I had a much greater grasp of the Bible than he did as a lifelong Christian. I showed him many things that he didn't even know were in there. We had the internet up and really ripped things apart. In the end I pointed out that the bible will say whatever anyone wants it to say, and it seems silly to base one's entire life on a certain interpretation. Then I gave him the name of two Richard Dawkins's books and told him if he really wanted to learn something new, relevant, and true, give them a read. He agreed to do so. I think it shook him up several times that I could make his book say the opposite of what he believed. And then I could turn it around and make it say exactly what he believed. This was an eye opener for him.

I see it happening here all the time. Every argument is a good argument, and every argument is a bad argument. Everyone is right and everyone is wrong. Welcome to the Bible and Christianity. Enough wiggle room to drive a fleet of trucks through.

• freydo
    freydo

Well what about the Kingdom?

Acts 1:6 " They therefore,...asked him, saying, Lord, dost thou at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?"

It's not about converting pagans who wouldn't understand and had their own gods and celebrations.

Google calendar.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Recovery said:

If JW's are the only ones actively going to their neighbors with a message about the Kingdom, shouldn't that tell you something? Hmmm

Mormons might have something to say about that "only ones" claim.... Oh, and per wikipedia, the international organization Every Home for Christ began door to door preaching in 1953 throughout many countries, and as of 2010, total home visits by their members became 1.3 billion. [ 19 ] [ 20 ] Many local parishes and churches worldwide use this approach to evangelism. [ 19 ]

But if going D2D is "proof" you use to justify being God's chosen organization, then surely you can find something more successful? If the goal is desimminating God's word, then maybe it's time to call in for back-ups from the Rocks and Stones Brigade, as the job just isn't getting done at the rate the JWs are carrying out the work (see link to jwfacts.com above). "Divine backing" Really? Really?

• james_woods
    james_woods

The JW style of "door to door" salesmanship is not taught (nor mentioned) anywhere in the scriptures.

There is no historical record that early christians ever did this.

It was invented in the early 20th century as a way for the WTBTS to sell their literature - it is without scriptural support.

It is ludicrous to fall on this requirement as the primary rite of worship for a christian attempting to follow scriptural christianity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit