Does God Command Christians To Go From Door To Door Preaching The Gospel?

by Bangalore 144 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It seems to me that if you're a Christian, and you have such an important message and are commanded to make disciples, then you would use whatever means necessary with great urgency to get that message out there. I don't know if you have to choose d2d, but just sitting on the info and sharing only as opportunity knocks on YOUR door seems to go against the spirit of being disciples. I mean, isn't it the Good News? Is it not important? Does it require no sacrifice at all? If I believed all that stuff, I'd be yelling it from the rooftops.

• tec
    tec

Still... Christians do all of those things. Not all of them, doing every single thing each, but all of those things are being done.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I don't see it from the Chrisitans around me. I don't see them making an effort. They are fine if they can corner a neighbor or pick up some random conversation, but I don't see them making it a priority.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Where are they doing it tec...I haven't seen any for a long time spreading the word or preaching. The last ones I saw knocked on my door.

I get a hint that there is preaching going on when I see a bunch of dressed up people (some with hats on) walking into the local church. Guess they don't want to share. Or they expect people to KNOW what they do in there. Or maybe, they think Jesus will tell them to visit their church.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Ironically, the more vocal of the christians are these ones....but I'm not sure this is the message Jesus would want...but there is no counter preaching to this. Just people sitting in churches on a sunday, or hammering internet forums. These are the ones we see....I don't know if Jesus would like them to do this........unless.....he does....since they are the only ones out there preaching.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Mark 3:14 He appointed twelve--designating them apostles--that they might be with him and that he might send them out to preach

• still thinking
    still thinking

Mark 1:38 Jesus replied, "Let us go somewhere else--to the nearby villages--so I can preach there also. That is why I have come."

• Recovery
    Recovery

NewChapter that is precisely why it is absurd and ridiculous for people to find loopholes in the clear Biblical expression that the disciples preached from house to house. Here, the Messiah has finally arrived and he has a message of salvation directly from Almighty God and his followers are supposed to sit around and wait for the people to come to them?

This is the problem with modern day Christianity. The structure of church is not conducive to all Christians being apart of this all important preaching work. The lergy-claity distinction makes this difficult/near impossible as well.

If JW's are the only ones actively going to their neighbors with a message about the Kingdom, shouldn't that tell you something? Hmmm

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, I guess it depends what kind of Christian you are, as to how you interpret the command to preach the good news. The Bible is 2,000 years old now; and raising people from the dead, restoring sight to blind people and curing cripples, speaking in tongues etc. should be something all Christians can do; as well as preaching. If not, don't worry about it, lol.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

It's interesting to note that D2D sales were common in the late 19th/early-mid 20th century, with salesmen doing "cold calls" selling everything from vacuum cleaners, encyclopedias, cleaning supplies, etc. So it WAS the method used, and not just an archaic hangover from another time, like it is today...

Nowadays, internet forums such as this represent the virtual town public square, so it's not like JWs couldn't spread their message over the internet (although it's likely not as compelling over the internet, where the ideas have to stand on their own merits, and rather devoid of the personal touch).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit