Does God Command Christians To Go From Door To Door Preaching The Gospel?

by Bangalore 144 Replies latest jw friends

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Wow. The disciples didn't preach door to door but they would preach from private home to private home

I didn’t say “from private home to private home.” I said “in private homes.” One does not equate to the other, as I pointed out. As I said, going to people’s homes does not equate to knocking randomly at the doors of strangers. The disciples preached everywhere they went, whether on the street, in synagogues, or in the marketplace. And, just possibly, they may have preached from house to house at times. That was very much in harmony with the technology of the day. But as others have pointed out on this thread, they also rode donkeys and wore sandals everywhere they went, and I haven’t seen any JWs doing that lately.

I don’t believe that we can state with certainty that their preaching was definitely from house to house, or that such a method was even their primary method. We read far more instances of the disciples preaching in public places than in private homes. I find it just as easy to believe that the private homes in which they preached and taught were those of people whom they had met in public places who showed interest during their public proclamation as to believe that they were engaged in some sort of door to door canvassing. More so, really, because in those days, the streets and marketplaces were where you found people, and a message proclaimed in the public square tended to become known throughout the town fairly quickly. Much more efficient than going to houses one by one.

How are the disciples to search out in a city who is deserving and who is not? How can Jesus say the entire city will be judged on Judgement Day if the disciples only went to talk to a few people here and there in private homes? Also, notice that Jesus says "wherever anyone does not listen to YOUR words...on going out of THAT HOUSE". Now if Jesus' disciples are just teaching people in their private homes, why would the people they are teaching not listen to their words? Again, why is the entire city/village going to be judged on Judgement Day if all the disciples are doing is teaching/preaching in private homes?

As I pointed out above, one possibility is that they would contact people in public places and then visit with them in their homes upon invitation. We aren’t talking about Manhattan here. Cities back then were much smaller than cities today, and there were many fewer distractions in the form of entertainment than we have today. Ephesus was a good sized city for the time - I visited its ruins just last month - but no bigger than an average small town today. When someone came to town with a new teaching and proclaimed it in public, word got around very effectively. People came to follow Jesus in droves to hear His preaching, because word had gotten around. Surely you aren’t going to try to make the case that the disciples went around Jerusalem from door to door passing out invitations to the Sermon on the Mount?

The potential for rejection that Jesus mentions does not eliminate this possibility; as a JW there were many times that my message was ultimately rejected by someone who initially showed interest. Admittedly, another possibility is that the disciples did actually preach from house to house. I’m not trying to make the case that they absolutely did not do so. My point is that there is not explicit enough indication in the Bible to be certain that they absolutely did, as JWs argue. Remember, the question we are discussing is not whether the disciples preached from house to house, but whether God commands Christians to preach in this specific manner. JWs would argue that, if the apostles preached this way, modern Christians are also required to follow this exact method, with God disapproving anyone who fails to do so, no matter how zealous he may be about spreading the message in other ways.

Paul is summarizing events that haven take place over a period of three years. That is why Paul says "YOU well know how from the first day that I stepped into the [district of] Asia I was with you the whole time.." Now if Paul is talking about his preaching to the elders, this statement must be false. On Paul's first day in the district of Asia there were no disciples. There was no congregation. There were no elders. How could Paul have been with the elders, preaching to them in their private homes from the first day he came into Asia? Also, why does Paul mention opposition from the Jews regarding his preaching. How were the Jews opposing and setting plots against Paul if he was simply going to the private homes of the elders? It is very obvious whose interpretation doesn't make nearly as much sense.

Sorry, but your timeline is flawed. The three-year visit that is ending here in Acts 20 was not Paul’s first visit to Ephesus, and it is untrue that there were no disciples in Ephesus when he arrived. According to Insight on the Scriptures (v. 1, p. 735), Paul had visited Ephesus previously in 52 C.E. and then left, promising to return if it was God’s will. During his absence, Aquila and Pricilla remained in Ephesus, along with Apollos, whom they taught. Paul returned in the winter of 52/53 and then proceeded to stay for 3 years. So it is apparent that there were disciples in Ephesus prior at least to Paul’s second visit. Now, if I understand your argument correctly, you are saying that in one three-year visit, Paul took Ephesus from having no Christians at all to having a church with elders, and that therefore his teaching must have included house to house canvassing so as to make converts, some of whom would later become elders, but that his reference to teaching “publicly and from house to house” would refer to all phases of this three-year visit. But your premise is wrong. There were Christians, and almost certainly at least a rudimentary church in Ephesus before his arrival. He did much to grow and develop it, but it wasn’t as if he walked into the city, started converting pagans and built a church where there was no prior Christian presence at all. So I would maintain what I said – Paul’s comments in Acts 20:20 refer to his actions toward “you” – the elders with whom he was speaking and not the church as a whole.

Incidentally, I find it interesting that the emphasis in Acts is placed on Paul’s preaching in the synagogue and the school auditorium at Tyrannus – public places – and not particularly on any supposed house-to-house campaign (Acts 19:8-10). Note that verse 10 states that “This [reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus] continued for two years, so that all the residents of Asia heard the word of the Lord, both Jews and Greeks.” Not through random door-knocking, but through preaching in public places.

We CAN assert this as conclusive because we have clear instructions from Jesus to his disciples about searching out who is deserving in a city/village. "If anyone does not take you in or listen to your words..on going out of THAT HOUSE.." There is nothing ambiguous about these instructions. These weren't instructions to go and preach to people in private homes, they were to search the entire city for deserving ones. How could this be done if they did not go door to door?

As I pointed out above, and as the Scriptures seem to bear out, the disciples preached in public places. This is certain. There are dozens of citations where the disciples went to marketplaces, synagogues, public squares and other public locations in order to evangelize. They went wherever people were to be found. Let’s face it, if their primary work was preaching from house to house, why did both Jesus and the apostles face so many attacks from angry mobs? How does a mob gather if you are speaking to one person at a time, in the privacy of his own home? Clearly, their primary means of communicating the Word was by public proclamation. Whether they supplemented this with any sort of door-to-door canvassing is uncertain, but even if they did, it was certainly never commanded by Jesus as THE method for Christians to use in preaching – which, again, is supposed to be the question we are addressing.

We live in a day when it is not seen as socially appropriate in many areas for strangers to approach the doors of people they do not know. This has changed just within my lifetime. I am now 60 years old; when I was young, we had a man come to the house regularly to deliver milk, and another who brought ice for our icebox three times a week. Salesman used to ply their wares from door to door, the Fuller Brush Man came by once a month or so, and occasionally, someone who was down on his luck would knock on the door and ask for a handout. All of this was taken in stride by householders; it was the normal way of things, nobody worried about it. But rising violent crime and differing social conditions have made such things obsolete. Now, we are concerned when we see a stranger approach our doors. We open them only a crack, because we don’t know who it is, and we are worried that it might be someone intending to rob or harm us. Companies that used to hire door-to-door salesman have moved to other marketing methods. We get milk and bread at the supermarket or convenience store. We do not expect strangers to knock on our doors, and our guard is immediately up when one does. JWs who have not adapted to the social environment find that many are unwilling to talk with them at all, because their very approach is seen as inappropriate.

Besides all that, there are very efficient methods today of reaching mass audiences. TV, radio, mass mailings and the Internet are all far more efficient at reaching people than door-knocking, and many Christian ministries use these methods to great effect. The Great Commission is still being obeyed, using the best methods available in our time – just as it was in the time of the apostles.

1950--1 in 5000 attended the memorial

2001--1 in 400 attended the memorial

1950--1 JW for 7000 people

2000--1 JW for 1000 people

If you could establish that all those people were brought into the JWs through the door-to-door work, you might have something there, but as far as I know, no statistics are kept as to the method of initial contact used with new converts. In my experience, most JWs I knew had NOT been contacted through the house-to-house work. Rather, the majority had been initially introduced to the JW teaching through workmates, acquaintances, and relatives or had been raised as JWs. It was a very small percentage who had come in through the door to door work. Which makes the statistics I cited regarding 2011 that much worse (and the numbers are similar for most years, I only picked 2011 because it was the most recent number I had). Over 5000 hours to make a convert, and most converts did not come in through that means. So how many hours to make a real convert who was actually contacted through the door-to-door work? 10,000? 15,000? Very efficient indeed.

The other question that crosses my (admittedly cynical) mind is whether we should trust the growth statistics from the WTS in the first place. They claim growth every year, but seem to be on a downsizing campaign the last few years. Branches are being closed and consolidated, as are local congregations. If the organization were actually growing as it claims, it seems they would be opening new branches and congregations, not closing the ones it has.

Jesus, Paul, and the early Christians knew they best way to spread their message.

They certainly did, and it has continued to spread for 2000 years, using the best technology and methods available at every point. Christians today who engage in evangelism don’t usually ride donkeys, they don’t preach from handwritten scrolls, and they don’t typically go canvassing from house to house. At one time all of these things may have represented the optimum in efficiency; today they are obsolete. You are welcome to stick to first-century methods if you wish, but you are not free to demand that every Christian follow your example. There is no command in the Bible for Christians to go sequentially from house to house for the purpose of evangelism.

• man oh man
    man oh man

Paul taught elders in private homes, the place where Christians worshiped together.

• freydo
    freydo

That way they didn't have to qualify as a 501(c) business where pastors, popes, elders, deacons and bishops skim off the top. And are forever begging for more.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

If you have lived in places like Papua New Guinea, you would likely have got more of a feel for the way in which the early Christians attempted to reach out to the public.

In countries like PNG, people still go to the local markets more for just something to do - and also to meet other people - than they do to buy and sell goods.

The more savvy of the JWs in PNG realize this, and focus their attentions on the local markets. Further, it almost goes without saying that the other evangelistic religions in that country concentrate nearly all their attentions on the local markets; i.e. where the people are - NOT where they are not!

This equates with accounts in the New Testament in which the apostles and others preached in the market places.Back in those times in the Middle East, the markets were where people congregated.

True to form, though, the WTS in Papua New Guinea still insists on "door to door";

- either in the main residential areas of the cities, where every house is set back behind a high security fence, topped with razor wire (and usually with a pair of dobermans loose in the yard). There, you can stand all day outside the gate, rattling the padlock, and nobody is going to take a blind bit of notice of you.

- or alternatively, in the squatter settlements that surround the cities, where entry by a non-resident is an almost certain way in which to get mugged.

Scriptures that supposedly tell of First Century Christians preaching from door to door are - to say the least - open to debate. However, if you have lived in countries like PNG, it is not hard to to realize where they did concentate their attentions;

- i.e. where the people congregated, mainly around the local markets. In other words, the First Century equivalents of either the Internet , or in front of a television screen.

My own observations, based entirely on experience!

Bill.

• freydo
    freydo

You got to wonder if they're baptizing fellow pagans with one hand with a ham sandwich in the other.

John 6:44
    “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day."

• Londo111
    Londo111

The phrase 'kata oikos' did not encompass a door-to-door activity. To see this, we must look at this phrase at it is used throughout the book of Acts.

Act 2:46

Daily also continuing with one accord in the temple, breaking also at every house bread, they were partaking of food in gladness and simplicity of heart,

Daybyday

g 2250

?μ?ρα hemera

g 2596

κατ? kata

continuing

g 4342

προσκαρτερ?ω proskartereo

withonemind

g 3661

?μοθυμαδ?ν homothymadon

in

g 1722

en

thetemple,

g 2413

?ερ?ς hieros

and

g 5037

τ? te

breaking

g 2806

κλ?ω klao

bread

g 740

?ρτος artos

fromhousetohouse

g 3624

ο?κος oikos

g 2596

κατ? kata

theyweretaking

g 3335

μεταλαμβ?νω metalambano

theirmeals

g 5160

τροφ? trophe

together

g 3335

μεταλαμβ?νω metalambano

with

g 1722

en

gladness

g 20

?γαλλ?ασις agalliasis

and

g 2532

κα? kai

sincerity

g 858

?φελ?της aphelotes

ofheart,

g 2588

καρδ?α kardia

Here we see the early Christians eating together 'kata oikos'--did that mean the early Christians ate meals house-to-house as in door-to-door? Of course not.

Notice that the Public activity in the temple was contrasted with the private activity of eating meals in private homes. Early Christian meetings were mostly held in private homes.

Therefore, that context colors the following:

Act 5:42

every day also in the temple, and in every house, they were not ceasing teaching and proclaiming good news -- Jesus the Christ.

And

g 5037

τ? te

every

g 3956

π?ς pas

day,

g 2250

?μ?ρα hemera

in

g 1722

en

thetemple

g 2413

?ερ?ς hieros

and

g 2532

κα? kai

fromhousetohouse

g 3624

ο?κος oikos

g 2596

κατ? kata

theykeptrighton

g 3756

ο? ou

g 3973

πα?ω pauo

teaching

g 1321

διδ?σκω didasko

and

g 2532

κα? kai

preaching

g 2097

ε?αγγελ?ζω euaggelizo

Jesus

g 2424

?ησο?ς Iesous

astheChrist.

g 5547

Χριστ?ς Christos

Again, the Public teaching at the temple is contrasted with a more private setting at the homes of believers and interested ones as well as having Christian gatherings. Never were they making cold calls uninvited at people's doors.

Act 8:3

and Saul was making havoc of the assembly, into every house entering, and haling men and women, was giving them up to prison;

But

g 1161

δ? de

Saul

g 4569

Σα?λος Saulos

beganravaging

g 3075

λυμα?νω lymaino

thechurch,

g 1577

?κκλησ?α ekklesia

entering

g 1531

ε?σπορε?ομαι eisporeuomai

house

g 3624

ο?κος oikos

after

g 2596

κατ? kata

house,

g 3624

ο?κος oikos

and

g 5037

τ? te

draggingoff

g 4951

σ?ρω syro

men

g 435

?ν?ρ aner

and

g 2532

κα? kai

women,

g 1135

γυν? gyne

hewouldputthem

g 3860

παραδ?δωμι paradidomi

in

g 1519

ε?ς eis

prison.

g 5438

φυλακ? phylake

Here we see Paul going "house to house"…only in a bad sense. Did that mean Paul knocked on every Jewish door methodologically looking for Christians? Or did he simply go to the homes of known Christians?

Act 20:20

how nothing I did keep back of what things are profitable, not to declare to you, and to teach you publicly, and in every house,

how

g 5613

hos

Ididnot

g 3361

μ? me

shrink

g 5288

?ποστ?λλω hypostello

fromdeclaring

g 312

?ναγγ?λλω anaggello

toyou

g 4771

σ? sy

anything

g 3762

ο?δε?ς oudeis

thatwasprofitable,

g 4851

συμφ?ρω symphero

and

g 2532

κα? kai

teaching

g 1321

διδ?σκω didasko

you

g 4771

σ? sy

publicly

g 1219

δημ?σιος demosios

and

g 2532

κα? kai

fromhousetohouse

g 2596

κατ? kata

g 3624

ο?κος oikos

Once more, Paul contrasts the Public ministry in synagogues, gymnasiums, marketplaces…with the results of that ministry, which yielded a private ministry at people's homes, as believers and interested ones invited him to their homes to learn more, or to hold Christian gatherings/meetings.

Thus door-to-door was not a first century Christian practice…nor is it commanded anywhere in the New Testament.

BTW--I do want to point out that 'kata oikos' does not appear here:

Luk 10:7

`And in that house remain, eating and drinking the things they have, for worthy [is] the workman of his hire; go not from house to house,

"Stay

g 3306

μ?νω meno

in

g 1722

en

that

g 846

α?τ?ς autos

house,

g 3614

ο?κ?α oikia

eating

g 2068

?σθ?ω esthio

and

g 2532

κα? kai

drinking

g 4095

π?νω pino

what

g 3588

? ho

they

g 846

α?τ?ς autos

giveyou;

g 3844

παρ? para

for

g 1063

γ?ρ gar

thelaborer

g 2040

?ργ?της ergates

isworthy

g 514

?ξιος axios

ofhis

g 846

α?τ?ς autos

wages.

g 3408

μισθ?ς misthos

Donot

g 3361

μ? me

keepmoving

g 3327

μεταβα?νω metabaino

from

g 1537

ek

house

g 3614

ο?κ?α oikia

to

g 1519

ε?ς eis

house.

g 3614

ο?κ?α oikia

Here the phrase is "ex oikias eis oikian", very different than 'kata oikos'.

• still thinking
    still thinking
    I conclude that the JW way of preaching is the most thorough...New Chapter

LOL

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Recovery,

The fact is that the only related command given by Jesus relating to missions was “Go not from house to house” That commandment is found in Luke 10:7. where Jesus is sending out the 70 to preach.

The Greek here in Jesus’ command is Oikia ice oikia - literally, house to house. And the command is: Go not from house to house. Of course you might argue that Jesus is talking about finding a worthy home to act as a missionary base while in any given city. And that’s true. But you see then “house to house” clearly does not mean door to door. You come to a city, you find lodging and you don’t move from there to another home.

Jesus wasn’t instructing the 70 not to go door to door consecutively down the street looking to another place to stay. He was merely saying don’t change your place of residence once you have found a proper home base from which to minister. Remain in that home till your work in that city is complete.

The point is “house to house” on Jesus lips had nothing to do with going consecutively door to door down the street.

Now here’s the truth: the phrase house to house never means door-to –door down the street in scripture…and the apostles not only never commanded Christians to go door to door, but there is nothing in scripture to suggest that they, themselves, ever went door to door. That’s merely the extra-biblical assumption of your organization

Y our organization often cites two texts to establish that the apostles and early Christians went door to door to spread their message. They are Acts 20:20 and Acts 5:42

In Acts 20:20 Paul is talking to a group of elders from Ephesus about his former ministry there and says:

"And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publically, and from house to house." KJV

The Greek words translated as “house to house” here in Acts 20:20 are kata oikous. In this Greek phrase, kata (a preposition meaning in or according to) is combined with the plural of the noun oikon (meaning homes)…so literally we get “in homes” or “according to homes”. Now does Acts 20:20 imply Paul went “door-to-door” down the streets of Ephesus? The answer is no.

In Benjamine Wilson’s Emphatic Diaglott published by the WTBTS Acts 20:20 reads"how I kept back nothing that was profitable; neglecting not to declare unto you, and to teach you publicly and at your Houses" That’s your own publication.

In other words Paul was simply reminding these elders how he had ministered to them both publicly and privately in their homes. And the fact is that most modern translations do use the phrase "in your homes" instead of "house to house".

We can see why when we c ompare Acts 8:3 with Acts 20:20. In Acts 8:3 we find almost the exact Greek phraseology “Kata oikous” except for the inclusion of the definite article “tous” (meaning all) … that’s Kata tous Oikous …So Acts 8:3 reads

"But Saul continued to harass the church, and by going house to house and dragging off men and women he continued to put them into prison." Williams

Of course the fact that Paul went house to house kata tous oikous, does not mean he went to every house down every block throughout Jerusalem…. Obviously, and this is acknowledged by the WTS, he invaded one Christian’s home after another…., you know, like doctors long ago would go house to house, making house calls but only at the homes where they knew there were sick people who needed a doctor.

Acts 20:20 provides no grounds for suggesting Paul went up and down the streets of Ephesus knocking at every door as an example we must follow or be refused baptism.

OK, then How about Acts 5:42, which is often used by your organization to prove first century Christians went door-to-door. The NWT reads

And every day in the temple and from house to house (kat’oikon), they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.

Now the Greek phrase translated “house to house” here is kat’oikon JWs assume that kat’oikon means “door-to-door”. But we can quickly see that this interpretation is unwarranted when we read the exact same Greek phrase, in similar context in Acts 2:46

And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house (kat’oikon), did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart. Acts 2:46

Certainly we can't believe that the apostles ate bread on everydoorstep as they preached the gospel up and down the streets of Je rusalem. Since it doesn’t make sense that the disciples had snacks on every doorstep as they went from“house to house” kat’oikon ……

Acts 20:20 provides no grounds for suggesting Paul went up and down the streets of Ephesus knocking at every door as an example we must follow or be refused baptism.

OK, then How about Acts 5:42, the second verse used by your organization to prove first century Christians went door-to-door. The NWT reads

And every day in the temple and from house to house (kat’oikon), they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.

Now the Greek phrase translated “house to house” here is kat’oikon JWs assume that kat’oikon means “door-to-door”. But we can quickly see that this interpretation is unwarranted when we read the exact same Greek phrase, in similar context in Acts 2:46

And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house (kat’oikon), did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart. Acts 2:46

Certainly we can't believe that the apostles ate bread on everydoorstep as they preached the gospel up and down the streets of Jerusalem . Since it doesn’t make sense that the disciples had snacks on every doorstep as they went from“house to house” kat’oikon …… does not mean door to door. Of course this verse simply conveys that the first Christians shared meals and fellowship at each others homes. Again, “house to house” had nothing to do with going “door-to-door”.

Your organization specializes in teaching the traditions of men" as if they were the commandments of God. We do know that the apostles taught people both publicly and privately. It is pure speculation to conclude that they went up and down streets banging on doors on Saturday or any other morning.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Wow. A lot of research here to get out of the mandate to go forth making disciples. Ah well. The message must not be all that important. Maybe share it while getting your hair done or waiting for the dentist, but don't put yourself out. Understand, I like it that way! The less I have to hear this message the better. *whew* We can always count on humans taking the path of least resistance!

• still thinking
    still thinking
    Wow. A lot of research here to get out of the mandate to go forth making disciples

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. I think it must be a relief for christians once they leave the JW religion to not have to spread the word. Who the hell wants to look stupid in public.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit