A JW called me a moron.

by shepherd 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• shepherd
    shepherd

Well, I finally got a chance to discuss religion with a JW at the door. I have been looking forward to it for a long time, now I know what questions to ask that will cause them to eat their Reasoning book in panic. But no, there was no long in depth Bible discussion. After just a couple of minutes of discussing how John and the Synoptic Gospels cannot even agree on when Jesus died there was no "I'll get back to you on that" or "I'll return with an elder, he's bound to know". Instead he just blurted out 'moron' and walked off.

When I had finished laughing, I began to wonder, what HAS happened to the JW's? Years ago a bible discussion was welcomed at the door - if you got lucky you could prattle on for the full hour and not have to knock any more doors that day - you might even get offered coffee and cake. But now, all they can do is hand out tracts and Watchtowers. Anything more and they get scared to death!

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Well done, shepherd!

That had me laughing out loud, literally!

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

My belief is that it is futile to discuss religion with the brain-washed (or brain-dead).

If someone really, really, believed what they were preaching they would be only too happy to share their good news (however wacko it might be). Perhaps your experience reveals that the dubs now, more than ever, are just going through the motions. Their highest hope is probably 'not at home'.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The dumbing down has been going on for a long time, I remember an Elder bemoaning the fact that the young ones who were regular pioneers were not capable of holding their own in a Bible discussion at the door, and that was at least twenty years ago !

Just think, those "young ones" are now the Elders and "mature" sisters in the Congregation, how can they impart skills they do not have ?

I think now that it is no good getting them to look at aspects of their religion that they know little of, I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine a better approach would be to ask how long the person has been associated, and then ask "In that time, there must have been something that you struggled to understand ?"

If you get an honest answer to that, which I doubt at first, you may have to probe, but when you do, you have your opening, don't give the answer, ask them to research it and come back to you.

They won't return, but you just may have opened a can of worms for them.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The chances are the guy was not that committed, wanted an easy time, and couldn't give a toss about doctrine. He'll be on here soon!

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

LMAO

last time they were here I called them cowards as they marched off in a huff

• Nambo
    Nambo

Calling someone a Moron, isnt that like calling someone a dispicable fool? its Gehenna for him then.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Yeah well . . . you tend to have that effect on people shepherd.

Sorry, just kidding . . .

The last JW Elder that came to my door got short with me when I simply asked a question he couldn't answer . . . he told me I "had the wrong heart condition." When I heard that old chestnut come out, I nearly pissed myself laughing. I couldn't help that either . . . he just walked off before I could stop and dry my eyes. It was a pretty weak effort . . . he knew where I was heading and just refused to go there. So much for "overturning strongly entrenched things." It was he who didn't have the heart for it.

• steve2
    steve2

Actually, he spoke in an offensive manner, didn't he? I don't find that at all funny. It's kind of desperate. Now, while you wouldn't want to make too much out of the offensive language, you would have had good grounds for calling him to account for his language.

To be fair, I could imagine the JWs I know - including family members - disapproving of ever talkiing that way to a householder. Yes, I could imagine them trying to get out of an intense discussion with a householder who questions their JW beliefs. But I could not imagine the JWs I know talking that way or approving of it.

You would have had good reason to complain.

• shepherd
    shepherd

Yeah thanks sizemik...haha

Actually I was being really gentle because I was looking forward to planting a seed, but it was not to be.

steve2, I have never heard a JW use that expression before either, but if you saw the fear in his eyes when I held a bible in my hand it was priceless. I was a brainwashed JW too at one time, and I hated going door to door, but if I could have a real chat with someone I was glad of it. People have mentioned 'dumbing down' and I agree, but I never realised how poor their 'skills' were these days. Of course, he could be an exception, but I have read similar tales in this forum so I'm not so sure it's isolated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit