A JW called me a moron.

by shepherd 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• sizemik
    sizemik

Desperate I agree Steve. He was way out of his depth and smarting about it . . . hence the quite bizarre exit and defensive aggression. It also sounds like he was on his own, which would have been emboldening. If he's genuine in his dubbyness . . . it will have hurt. If not, he'll be even more fed up. Who'd be him?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

... but will he sleep well tonight???

• talesin
    talesin

Too bad he ran off. You could have said

"Ah, but I am rubber and you are glue. Whatever you say, bounces off me, and sticks to you!"

Seriously, though, the poor guy probably doesn't have a clue. I was a pioneer, and can still quote their shyte chapter and verse after all these years, but I HATED FS. I always wished there was no one home, or that they would say 'not interested' at the very least.

It's a horrible thing, to force people to do the door-to-door work. For me, it was terrifying.

tal

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Very funny story!

To me, it sounds like he was just wanting to 'put in his time', knocking on doors, getting 'not at homes', or 'I'm not interested' responses.

You actually opened the door, and engaged him in bible conversation.

As others have pointed out, he is probably on his way out... of the religion.

Regards,

Jim TX

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

No JW would call someone a moron at the door, but if this is true you surely must have been a really annoying moron to have caused him to say that.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Perhaps it would be wise for the Borg to return to a modernized version of Rutherford's phonograph approach ... Watch Tower drones could go to the door with MP3 players and play a brief sermon featuring a Governing Body member.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Questions is scarier to a JW than the walking dead Halloween night.

If I was called "Moron", I probably would have stated, "Well, that's More on you. Show me where I'm wrong."

Now, if he called me a MaROOON, I'd be insulted.

• sir82
    sir82

Did you get his name?

If so you could call the Kingdom Hall on Sundy morning, ask to speak to an elder, and ask him if calling someone a "moron" is now standard witnessing technique? If you mention the JW's name it would cause all sorts of fun for him.

• undercover
    undercover

No JW would call someone a moron at the door...

Well, the average, just going thru the motions JW wouldn't. But like most off-center groups, the WTS/JWs attracts an unproportionately large number of whackos.

There was an elder I used to have to work with in service. I knew he was a bit odd, but didn't consider him crazy or anything. When it came to service, he was on a mission. He was going to ram the Truthâ„¢ down your throat one way or the other. He never had a door slammed in his face, because first thing he did when the door was opened was to stick his foot up against it to prevent it from closing. Even when told to leave, he'd keep on going. More than once, I left him standing there on his own after we were told to leave. After awhile I started to realize: He was just plain batty. I didn't see it earlier because I was raised around that kind of zeal about preaching. My earliest memories of service are going with old folks that either knew Rutherford or one of his cronies. Some even did jail back in the day when Rutherford did time. Their motto in service was, never give up, never surrender (sorry. bad movie reference). Once I started to mentally awaken, I then realized that the most uber-zealous of JWs are not quite right in the head, including some of my own family.

• Ding
    Ding

JWs don't seem to want an engaging discussion as in the old days even though such encounters are easy time.

They come across like salesmen who are ready to move on to the next prospect at the first sign that the person in front of them isn't ready to buy.

I think it's caused by the hype against apostates.

Many seem afraid of any resistance at all on the part of the non-JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit