Fantastic quote on jwfacts Sparlock article

by cedars 115 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

As a life long witness, I always understood that not all jw rules were explictly written, many were implied and were expected to be followed. I raised two children in the "truth." They were never allowed to watch "Bewitched," "Casper, the friendly Ghost," or any other program on tv that even intimated anything supernatural. There was no cartoon watching for them because of violence or ghost or whatever the borg disapproved of. Hell, one time I said "Gosh" in front of some uber witness sisters while in a car group going out in service and was quickly reprimanded by one of them. So when I saw the "Sparlock" video I also thought that the borg is getting even more restrictive with what is allowed for children to play with (they play with your mind through implications of what is approved/disapproved). I had a recent conversation with a cousin who has remained in the periphery of jws all her life and has now decided to become a jw (she is now 69 yrs old). When she questioned me about some jw policy, I stated to her, "You have not lived as a jw all your life like I have. I have "walked the walk" not just "talked the talk," so you have no basis for questioning me about how the borg works and how your life is affected by their words and actions through the wt, the attitude of the elders, and the r/f, esp your jw family. imho, Cedars is not overstating the attitude of the borg.

Just my 2 cents as a life-long witness whose entire family (except 2 brothes and one cousin) are all still uber jws. This self same cousin just imformed me my nephew gave one of the talks at the DC this summer.

• cedars
    cedars

A great new video discussing the Sparlock video from a critical standpoint...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPaSQ7H0OtM

Cedars

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I notice they use the term "sad" is used instead of "mad" hiding the word as to make this video less tramatic but mad is implied and we all know what happens when Jehovah gets made he loses control of himself and he goes on a killing spree on both men women and children even innocent babies when he is really pissed. Later he feels regrets in some cases like the flood and maybe some other killing sprees.

• cult classic
    cult classic

The use of the word sad is calculated, manipulative speech. To make Jehovah sad teaches the child that he has control over God's feelings. It also puts the onus on the child to transfer that sadness from the Almighty to himself. Witness kids learn early on that heavy and dark emotions are part of their worship to God. Living with negative emotions becomes second nature and is unlikely to be addressed properly.

Use of the word mad, would give rise to further questions. Why should God be mad at me for playing with one of my toys? And why would I want to worship a God who gets so mad at me for having a good time? By not using the word mad, that emotion is discounted. The child is certainly angry their toy has been taken away. But since that word isn't used, the kid can't identify that feeling with the event at hand.

The video is worse than counsel given in other forms because it leaves no room for the parent to slack off. The characters' expressions, tone and actions leave no room as to what the proper course of action should be.

• cedars
  • Black Sheep

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit