Another Family With JW Ties Murdered in Oregon

by Monica 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Monica
    Monica

I just saw this in the news this morning. A father killed his family and them himself. This happened in McMinnvile, Oregon – just outside of Portland, Oregon. Depressing!

* http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=42841

Family of six found dead; police believe father killed family, then self

MCMINNVILLE - A family of six was found shot to death in their home in an apparent murder-suicide, investigators said Friday.

Robert Bryant is believed to have shot his wife and four children before killing himself, said Yamhill County District Attorney Bradley C. Berry.

"Evidence ... indicates that Mr. Robert Bryant killed his wife and children and then took his own life," Berry said.

Dead are the 37-year-old father, his 37-year-old wife, Janet Ellen Bryant, as well as 15-year-old Clayton, 12-year-old Ethan, 10-year-old Ashley and 9-year-old Alissa Bryant.

In a phone interview, Jeanna Wright told katu.com that her daughter Jaden was friends with Ashley Bryant at Memorial Elementary School. Mrs. Wright said her daughter had not seen Ashley in Mrs. Mecker's class for two weeks and was concerned.

Ashley's younger sister Alissa was a second grade student at Memorial Elementary.

Ethan was a sixth grader at Patton Middle School, and Clayton, the oldest, attended McMinnville High School.

Robert Bryant was a self-employed landscaping contractor. He and his family moved to the McMinnville area last summer.

A study of California bankruptcy records indicates that the family moved to McMinnville from Shingle Springs California, where the father had a landscaping business called Bryant's Landscape Maintenance.

A former neighbor of the family who knew the Bryants when they lived in California told KATU News that the Bryants and their relatives were Jehovah's witnesses.

According to the former neighbor, Robert Bryant got into an argument with a church leader over the Bible while he and his family were still living in California.

The family was reportedly shunned by both other Jehovah's witnesses as well as their own relatives following the incident.

The Bryants came to Oregon to make a fresh start, the neighbor told KATU.

Two Yamhill County sheriff's deputies were in the vicinity of the Bryants' McMinville home Thursday night when neighbors approached them to express concern about the family.

Deputies spotted what appeared to be a body inside the home, which is 3½ miles southwest of McMinnville,a ccording to the district attorney's office.

They found five more bodies inside the home.

Investigators said they did not yet know the motive behind the shootings.

Not surprisingly, this apparent murder-suicide has saddened many who knew the Bryant children.

"Ethan Bryant was a very nice young man, he had many friends. We are very saddened by this tragedy," Assistant Principal of Patton Middle School, Mark Hyder told KATU News.

"Ethan was new to our district this year...he was a very popular sixth-grader," said Hyder."

Counselors are at the school today working with students and staff to come to terms with today's tragedy.

"We're just trying to get through this day supporting students and their families," Hyder said.

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama
    According to the former neighbor, Robert Bryant got into an argument with a church leader over the Bible while he and his family were still living in California.

Sounds like he was an apostate. Should make you proud sickos!

• rekless
    rekless

yoyo,
    it should make you sad, that a person can not voice his opinion on what a Bible verse means.

I feel sad for the whole lot that has no 1st admendment rights with in a religious org.

I also feel sad that one is pushed to the point of bank-ruptcy and homocide due to being shunned.

• roybatty
    roybatty

The GB and every JW that supports the WatchTower's shunning policy are partially responsible for this tragic event. There is just a chance that this might have been avoided if this man's family and so-called friends didn't shun him. Maybe they could have convinced him to seek medical help.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

YoYo -

You certainly demonstrate the Christ-like personality. You must be an elder, right? Do you spend a lot of time each month preaching Jehovah's truth before the congregation and from door-to-door?

Be very proud of yourself - you're a PERFECT little Jehovah's Witness.

Perfectly disgusting.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

I can't stand the way YoYoMama fires off a salvo and then hides under a rock afterwards.

Um, YoYo, the article didn't say they were 'apostate', it said they were shunned. This means that most likely they were DF'd.

So, YoYo, they were in the same boat as YOU. Aren't you DF'd?
    Perhaps the cops need to put a tracer on your arse so that you don't harm those closest (if any at all) to you.

• KistByQpid
    KistByQpid

Sickos? I'm not at all surprised at such callousness. Six people are DEAD. Us vs. them...even in the face of tragedy.

• borgfree
    borgfree

Yoyo,

I think in the long run you will find more understanding, acceptance, and genuine love from the people here on this board than you are going to find with your JW "family", think before you say the following kinds of things to them:

Should make you proud sickos!
    You will probably really need these friends soon.

Borgfree

"Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love." Lao-tzu
  • YoYoMama
    YoYoMama

Yeah right, I would rather kill myself!

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan
    Sounds like he was an apostate. Should make you proud sickos!

YoYo...

I guess that is an example of your "Christian" love, right?

When you are shunned by your "JW family and friends", let us know how does it feel?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit