It's the 46th anniversary of Star Trek TV series

by moshe 59 Replies latest social current

• rebel8
    rebel8

As I remember it, when TNG came out there was a flurry of opposition from the kingkongregationites, just like there was for every single new technology, book, movie, etc. Pac Man was a big drama!

Then the elders failed to make a formal advisement against it, so it was deemed a matter of conscience that weak people chose to avail themselves of.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

duh. Even though Jgnat commented on it, it just dawned on me today that the Google Star Trek doodle was interactive! Very cool, specially the red guy.

• Nambo
  • Quendi
    Quendi

@ 00DAD: I always thought that Jeri Ryan was either poured into her costume or had it painted on her naked body. The pic you displayed makes me think it was the latter. LOL

Quendi

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Quendi, yes I agree. And so many times I wanted to be the painter!

I was hoping you'd reply to my response to your "character driven" comments above.

BTW, I got your email and really appreciated it, thanks. Look for a reply mid-week.

I think a train trip is a lovely idea.

00DAD

• Quendi
    Quendi

@ 00DAD: I’m getting back to you about the character points. I’ve never read anything by Nicholas Sparks nor have I seen the complete films based on his work, but I know they have been very popular precisely because viewers get emotionally engaged with the characters. I say that because I did watch portions of The Notebook and was moved by what I saw. It wasn’t simply a cheesy romance, a dumb “chick flick” or a romantic comedy. It showed people dealing with the emotional turmoil that comes from an affair of the heart.

With film and television there are many visual cues which capture an audience’s attention and set the emotional tone for the movie or program. The camera does so much of the work, as Katherine Hepburn once told a young Anthony Hopkins during the filming of The Lion in Winter. When those visual cues and gestures and auditory elements such as tone of voice, timing and visible emotions are combined with solid writing, the result is unforgettable.

Stand-alone writing presents a different challenge for the author must create real characters as opposed to simply giving readers “talking heads.” The writer must show and not merely tell. Dialogue is one method to do this, getting inside the character’s head is another, and the interactions with other characters and the setting is a third.

Done correctly, the results are real people who spring out of the page and impact the reader. Characters don’t necessarily have to be deeply realized to do this. One needs only to read the romances of Danielle Steele to see how true that is; but when skill is used in their creation, the characters live on long after the last page is turned and can then pass into the stuff of lore and legend.

Quendi

• talesin
    talesin

TNG - what can I say? I love it! There are too many episodes to name a favorite ... but a special mention to one that was a bit 'hokey' in the way of the original ST - "Skin of Evil", in which Tasha Yar dies. It was a big blow to us fans at the time; and yes, she revisited the franchise, but still, I wanted to see more of Tasha Yar on the deck. :P

I thought the movie "First Contact" really tied TNG into the movies, and second only to "Wrath of Khan" #1! it remains up there with several others that are my number 2 favorite ST flicks ..

:)

• talesin
    talesin

7 of 9 is the bomb!

• talesin
  • talesin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit