It's the 46th anniversary of Star Trek TV series

by moshe 59 Replies latest social current

• moshe
    moshe

Google reminds us how long ago this was, 1966 (or was it 67?) - I was a teenager in High School and guess what? I never saw one eposode on local TV. I got out voted 4 to 1 when I wanted to switch channels on our single B&W TV- then it went to Friday night and by then I had a job every Friday night in a grocery store-- so-oo, I never saw Star Trek until some years later in reruns. I always imagine that there is one episode I have yet to see!

I wasn't a JW when it came out, but I imagine a lot witnesses skipped meetings to watch Star Trek- or did they? Do you have a favorite character/episode?

• baltar447
    baltar447

Wow New GB member was only 1 year old!

• talesin
    talesin

Spock!

Favorite episodes "This Side of Paradise", "Amok Time, and of course "The Troube with Tribbles" (I have a tribble :P

Love the oft-repeated gags ...

Bones: He's dead, Jim! and I'm a Doctor, not a (fill-in-the-blank)

Scotty: The Dilithium crystals are breaking up! ... it's more than she can take, Captain!

oh, and beware the crew members who beam down to the planet wearing red! "dead man walking" :D

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

I love the original Star trek and got hooked on it in the 70's when it was in syndication. It would come on each night around 6 and my new husband and I would watch it while we ate dinner. I wondered why I didn't watch it while it was on, and of course found out it started out on Thursday night, Service Meeting & Ministry School night, so no way could I have seen it. My favorites were "The Trouble With Tribbles" and the one that had Spock's human mother. Spock almost showed some emotion in that one. We missed a lot of good shows on meeting nights. I do remember hurrying home on Thursday nights to catch the Dean Martin show that started at 10. He could be a bit risque but my elder dad thought he was hilarious.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

Yeah, the crew member who wasn't a regular member of the cast, you knew he was going to be toast!

• talesin
    talesin

Safe,, in This Side of Paradise, he *does* show emotion, and falls in love,,, he cries, too.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

black, white, or green............. we could dream of being kirk with any of 'em!

• mercedes_29
    mercedes_29

My Dad watched it on TV with his family. I remember watching the reruns with my family. We went to the theater to see all the movies. Star Trek was a big part of our family gorwing up.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I watched Star Trek when it originally premiered in 1966 and was an instant fan. My favorite episodes were: “The Trouble With Tribbles,” “The Savage Curtain,” “The Corbomite Maneuver,” “Balance of Terror,” “Charlie X,” “Mirror, Mirror” and “Mudd’s Women.”

Even though I was still a boy, I loved the multi-racial cast and that was a big selling point for me. The cast members of color, Nichelle Nichols and George Takei, weren’t mere token characters either but had significant roles in the series. Walter Koenig’s role as the Russian Pavel Chekov was a nice touch during the time of the Cold War as well.

Quendi

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Watched it as a kid. Loved it. Had a major crush on Capt. Kirk.

LOL @ the "expendable" crew member, always knew the never seen before crew member was going to be toast before it was over.

Bones: "Dammit Jim, I'm a Doctor not an Escalator"

Spock: When he was going through Pong Phar.(sp?)

Kept trying to get my hair into the style of Yeoman (think her name was Janice?)

When it went into reruns my kids watched it. Can't believe it was so loooong ago -Leslie-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit