It's the 46th anniversary of Star Trek TV series

by moshe 59 Replies latest social current

• blondie
    blondie

Devil ears, eh? You have to try hard to find a picture of Satan with devil ears in the publications of the last 30 years. Actually the WTS also says in print that Satan can't read minds.

PRE-STAR TREK

***w627/1p.415QuestionsFromReaders***

Can Satan and his demons read our minds?—M. C., United States.There is nothing in the Scriptures to indicate that Satan and his demons can read our minds or thoughts. Rather, the implication of the Scriptures is that only God can read the mind of man: “Mere man sees what appears to the eyes; but as for Jehovah, he sees what the heart is.” Further we are told regarding God: “There is not a creation that is not manifest to his sight, but all things are naked and openly exposed to the eyes of him with whom we have an accounting.”—1 Sam. 16:7; Heb. 4:13.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Ah, BLondie. THat must have been why Star Trek was unacceptable - Spock's mind meld let him "read" minds! How dare he!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I am the same age as Star Trek, but there has only been one incarnation of me (unless you count religious affiliations as incarnations, in which case, I have many more than Star Trek!). Loved the orignal, Voyager andt TNG, Star Trek IV and the prequel they just made. Spock is my favorite. I love a man who is logical.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Cedars, you are right, that is the lamest fight scene ever!

I had forgotten with all the later movies how YOUNG William Shatner actually was for the TV show. Seriously, like a kid. I felt old watching that fight scene and seeing how young he is.

Blondie, you are right, after so many years, a bad Star Trek was better than NO ST.

• blondie
    blondie

I can remember when the WTS badmouthed ET and Star Wars and finally realized doing so made them look foolish and Pharisaiac.

*** g83 7/8 p. 27 Christ or E.T.? *** E.T.—The Extra-Terrestrial burst on the scene in the United States this past summer, attracting theater audiences in record numbers. In only six weeks it grossed nearly $150 million. With spin-offs in E.T. dolls, toys and other merchandise—as well as the movie’s release in other parts of the world—it is estimated the public could spend a whopping $1 billion on E.T. Why the E.T. fever?

The movie depicts an ungainly 3-foot (90-cm)-high creature from space, stranded on earth, who befriends a ten-year-old boy named Elliott. E.T.’s friendliness and benign powers, such as healing the boy’s cut finger and bringing flowers to life, win the affection of Elliott and his family. Sadly, a wasting illness appears to take the creature’s life. But when he is inexplicably “resurrected” before Elliott’s eyes audiences cheer. His touching good-bye, when E.T.’s alien friends take him home, leaves hardly a dry eye in the theater.

Interestingly, many have noted parallels in the story to that of the life of Jesus Christ. Said Professor Albert E. Millar, Jr.: “I think the thing that struck me most was the idea of the capacity to heal, and then when E.T. died and was resurrected.” We have in E.T., then, an enchanting Messiahlike figure that gives momentary emotional release to our need for a true friend with powers greater than ours. Therein lies the movie’s great appeal.

Despite its seemingly Christian message, however, the movie subtly condones youthful misbehavior. In an early scene we find youths playing “Dungeons and Dragons” in a smoke-filled room with a lighted cigarette on the table. Later on, when E.T. gets drunk sampling beer, and Elliott in telepathic sympathy feels the effects, it is all portrayed as something cute. Further, some of the language used by these children is gross profanity. This, along with the supernatural aspects of the movie, has bothered many Christians.

Whether parents or their children see this movie is, of course, a matter of personal choice. But because of the movie’s great popularity, let us not forget that it becomes an effective vehicle for sugarcoating youthful conduct that is definitely wrong.

E.T. may be a skillfully constructed and highly entertaining movie. But it provides no substitute for our True Friend, Jesus Christ, who saves us from this dying, wicked world. After all, E.T. is make-believe. Christ is reality.

*** g84 1/22 p. 29 Watching the World ***A New “Theology”?

Whatever else the proliferation of science-fiction movies is doing, it may be changing the image of God in the minds of some of today’s youth. “The grandfather and father images of God don’t do anything for me,” explains a 17-year-old, quoted in the newspaper USA Today. “God is more of a spirit, like The Force in Star Wars and The Return of the Jedi.”

Some clergymen apparently are capitalizing on the fad. “These new movies are good because they’re symbolic of a transcendent being and the power of God in life today,” says a Baptist Church official. “We utilize these themes from these movies in our teaching.” And a rabbi, who sees the trend as “a revival of theology under a different name: E.T., Star Wars, War Games, Superman, whatever,” claims that “theology is so important it is best not left solely to churches and synagogues.” Does this mean it should be left to science-fiction movie producers?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

BEING THE MIDDLE AGE HORN DOG THAT I AM - My fav -Terri Farrel in the first few series of DS9 - what a cutie - she played the one with the creature inside of her. Very beautiful IMHO

• Quendi
    Quendi

I love all the episodes others have mentioned from the original Star Trek. I’d like to mention some from Star Trek: The Next Generation which have always lived in my mind and heart.

“I, Borg,” “The Inner Light,” “Best of Both Worlds (Parts I and II),” “Booby Trap,” “Galaxy Child,” “Time’s Arrow (Parts I and II),” “Yesterday’s Enterprise,” “Little Rascals,” “Tapestry,” “Tin Man,” and “All Good Things” which was the series finale. Oh, I also have to mention any and every episode (including the series premiere, “Encounter at Far Point” ) which featured my favorite all-time Star Trek alien, the delicious Q. I can’t leave out stories in which the wise, witty and compassionate Guinan was featured, either.

So many good memories, wonderful stories and top-notch acting as well as some important lessons conveyed. One thing I carried away was from watching an episode which had captioned comments from the series’ writers. One of them made a point that I am trying to instill in my own fiction writing: the importance of characters. If your audience and/or readers are not engaged with your characters, then it doesn’t matter how fantastic the settings, how snazzy the sets, how incredible the special effects or technology, the story will fall flat on its face. Fans must really care about your characters, otherwise they will not watch or read your stories. I think all of us can agree that in the end, it was the constellation of characters which Star Trek featured that drew us into its universe and has kept us there.

Quendi

• cedars
    cedars

JWdaughter

Cedars, you are right, that is the lamest fight scene ever!

Fight scenes were never the early Star Trek's strongest point - but even by their poor standards, that Gorn fight scene was so appallingly lame it might as well have been intended as a comedy sketch.

There's another episode "Day of the Dove" where Kirk has a fight with his Klingon counterpart. At times during the fight you can actually register the face of William Shatner's body double! It's hilarious.

I still love it though.

Cedars

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Thor: remember 7 of 9?

You mean 11 of 10!

7 of 9

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Quendi, love your points about the importance of good characters. My wife and I were talking about that last night. We watched a movie called "The Lucky One" based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks (The Notebook). We compared how real and complex the characters were to a horrible movie I tried to watch a few weeks ago, "Going the Distance".

In "The Lucky One" you really care about the characters whereas in "Going the Distance" I found that I really didn't like them at all. I ended up turning off the movie after about 1/2 an hour.

Back to ST:TNG, two of my favorite episodes are:

• SKIN OF EVIL - A shuttle containing Troi and a pilot is returning from a conference when it crash-lands on Vagra II. When the Enterprise locates the shuttle interference prevents them from using their sensors or transporters to beam up the two occupants. The away team find an alien named Armus which appears like an oil slick but is able to assume humanoid shape at will. Armus blocks their path and prevents them from rescuing their comrades. During the encounter, Armus taunts the crew as they attempt to reach the shuttle.
    • INNER LIGHT - The Enterprise encounters a mysterious probe which seems to attack Picard knocking him unconscious. However, as he lays on the bridge in an apparent coma for only a few minutes, Picard imagines that he is a scientest named Kamin living a doomed planet a long time ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit