Dental Problems are interesting

by Terry 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

I worked with a nosy idiot who asked why I had taken off early the day before. When I told him it was for my 6 month check up at the dentist, he went off on what a waste of money that was and that I was stupid for going. The funny part? A month earlier, he had to take three days off work because he had an absessed tooth. Of course, it had started really bothering him on a Friday, and he couldn't get it checked until Monday. So he spent the weekend in pain, had to have three teeth pulled, and missed three days pay while recovering. He shut up when I told him that I still have all my teeth.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

$85? Thank God for Medicare!

Terry doesn't look THAT old....

It is human nature: I guess I shouldn't put my aching tooth (rear molar) off any longer. It really isn't healthy to walk around with an untreated abscess (it causes a systemic-wide inflammatory reaction, which elevates the SED rate, a general marker of inflammation in the body, and can cause heart disease, etc), but the pain is rarely there, and it waxes and wanes. Heck, $85, and I'd be there in the chair today just to get it done (root canal was way more, so I guess it pays to comparison-shop)...

• Glander
    Glander

Glander, do you attribute most of your teeth's cleanliness with the water pik in particular?

As a matter of fact, yes. Lets say we had salmon or steak for dinner, I brush and use the floss pick in the shower before bed. Afterwards I use the waterpick and am always amazed at the amount of debris that washes out. That is the stuff that leads to decay, gum problems and bad breath. The new Philips power flosser

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

The horrors of dental neglect. 3 years ago had an absessed upper molar, pain came and went until it didn't go away. 9 months later it got so bad I had to get it pulled. Found out after it was pulled that the roots went into the sinus cavity and the floor of the sinus was pretty much non-existent. Needless to say everytime I drank anything after the extraction, it would run out my nose. Wasn't allowed to blow my nose and had to sneeze with my mouth open. Took 3 months to finally close and another 6 months for gum to become solid enough not to break through again. Learned my lesson. Go regularly for check-up & cleaning. Leslie

• baltar447
    baltar447

I'm sold, going to buy a water pik as soon as I can.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Once you hit 50, the teeth rebel.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

You ability to chew food influences your longevity. Please research that immediately

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Tell me about it. I could have gone through endless surgeries and pains to attempt to save some of my teeth. Nope, I had 'em all pulled instead before the age of 44.

I had to relearned how to eat with dentures. But the pain is gone. Try to protect your teeth, the ones you still have. Trust me on this one.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

My dentist says you don't have to floss all your teeth. Just the ones you want to keep.

Prove it to yourself - brush well, then floss. You will see by the plaque on your floss that brushing alone does not get the whole job done.

• Terry
    Terry

$85? Thank God for Medicare!

I don't think Medicare has any provisions for dental problems, Bizzy.

I'm on my on with this one.

The Medicare did bite off a huge chunk of my 7 day hospital stay. Don't know exactly how much the total is yet.

My deductible was $1000 out of pocket, though.

Super "ouch".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit