Dental Problems are interesting

by Terry 38 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

Losing a tooth, uh, makes you look more distinquished , Terry.

What me worry?

• LV101
    LV101

What an ordeal you've been through. I've broken off a couple of fillings/crowns jomping on whole. natural, almonds and have lost a tooth over it. I guess once that original tooth is broken it's downhill.

Will you have an implant, Terry? It's amazing the younger generation working in dental offices that have implant(s) --- people in their 30's, 40's. When they lose a tooth instead of doing a bridge (old school) they have an implant placed in and that tooth can be capped like one of your own. Makes sense because they're not having two more teeth filed down on the sides of the lost (extracted) tooth to hold a bridge in place. Plus, when another tooth part of that bridge goes bump in the night they aren't faced w/having to make a bigger bridge (which is going to be weaker) and file down even more teeth. Plus those old caps placed on top of route canals bust and break. The glues they used for capping, crowning, the past 35 - 40 yrs. makes the tooth underneath brittle and eventually weak. The periodontists/oral surgeons are going to be rich off the seniors and baby boomers. I know people who are having implants in the front, top, teeth. One of them already lost the front tooth implant biting wrong on some type of retainer they sleep in. Unreal!

They better start selling some good dental ins. out there --- one implant and crown runs $3,500 to $4,000.

Keep care -- sounds like you're doing good.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Something about dental implants just doesn't sound right to me, putting a false tooth down in the empty space where the previous tooth was, it can't grow a root like a natural tooth so what the heck is holding it in there? Some of that glue that you mention that makes teeth brittle and weak?

• LV101
    LV101

Implants --- they drill down to the bone (you must have good bone left) and put in a nail/bolt. This is titanium and the metal post I guess is like a root --- takes about 4 - 6 months to heal properly then you return to your dentist and they attach a screw or something to the top part of this nail to hold your porcelain crown. I remember inquiring about them about 10 yrs. ago for my Dad and the reputable dentists were skeptical about them --- lots of problems back then and it's like they improved big time. They are now up to 92% good although the dental world likes to say 92% (not up to).

These young people working in dental offices have probably seen so many problems w/bridges --- having to file down and ruin good teeth adjacent to the space of extracted tooth to make the bridge and don't want to be stuck w/that old method. I just don't like the idea of a nail or bolt going into my jawbone but don't like the idea of a bridge, either.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

LV - Your description just brought back what my Dentist told me a couple of years ago, now I remember, however he didn't say

takes about 4 - 6 months to heal properly

No way in Hell would I do that, since everybody's different, if you don't eventually heal properly the implant can't be done and you've just permanently messed up the bone line in your mouth, surprised people do it.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

The Medicare did bite off a huge chunk of my 7 day hospital stay. Don't know exactly how much the total is yet.

My deductible was $1000 out of pocket, though.

7 days? I would be surprised if your final bill is less than $70K just for the bed + $2,000 per day for everything else.

Again, thank God for Medicare. Pray that Romney/Ryan do not kill this benefit for your children, who will probably need it.

• LV101
    LV101

Shirley --- seriously ---- the bone line would be messed up? The oral surgeon (they really push these) told me the drill and nail/bolt, whatever that goes in is so very tiny but how could it be. He said this material is so strong and the body accepts it --- well, I read some people had problems and their bone or something wouldn't accept it to heal.

It's sad there's really no alternative once the bridge goes south and you run out of teeth to attach. Dentures seems to cause so many problems for people but maybe that's all hype since they scare ya into having implants. I watched the video but really didn't want to so ignored as much as possible which was stupid --- anyway, instead of dentures they can place two implants, side by side in four areas of your mouth for all your teeth. I still don't understand how anyone could chew steak if all the teeth weren't implanted. The 8 implants act as anchors for all your teeth. In this day & age ya'd think we'd all have healthier teeth. I know I was hard on mine eating those stupid almonds. Broke off my route canal'd teeth but was fortunate they could be saved except one. I read the avg. person of 50 yrs. of age? has five missing teeth. That's a jack o lantern/holy moly! Sounds a tad high.

LV

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I don't think Medicare has any provisions for dental problems, Bizzy.

Actually they do, (including extractions) under certain circumstances.

http://www.medicareinteractive.org/page2.php?topic=counselor&page=script&slide_id=1591

I guess we're kind of looking for an explanation for how you got that much service for $85? Something is missing.

In my experience with dental care (which is extensive), even the $1900 you quoted would have been a bargain.

• jgnat
    jgnat

There's a connection between dental disease and heart disease. http://www.perio.org/consumer/mbc.heart.htm

• Quentin
    Quentin

Many dental problems can be caused by medications. I had decent teeth till two years ago when my med list went from 3 medications to 15. Certain medications erode the natural enamel of your teeth. They can also make your teeth brittle. Ninety % of my teeth are gone, except for the roots. How I've dodged the bullet and not gone through what Terry has is a mystery to me.

Why is it, anytime there are health care debates, dentist and the HIGH COST of oral hygiene is never mentioned?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit